The School of Media, Design and Technology prides itself on the excellent facilities that we have to offer for both students and staff.
- We offer professional-level computer modelling facilities and our web, mobile and media software and equipment is state-of-the-art.
- We provide industrial-standard 3D solid and surface modelling packages including AutoDesk Alias and SolidWorks as well as Maya Entertainment Creation Suite (Mudbox, Motion Builder, Soft Image, 3D Studio Max), Adobe Creative Cloud Master Edition (includes Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Premiere, Audition, Illustrator, AfterEffects, etc.) and a full range of Web Design and Development technologies.
- We have a dedicated IT and Audio-visual support team who are available to offer help and support, as well as managing the equipment loans desk.
- As well as general computing labs and facilities we offer specialist labs for computer games, graphics programming, video editing, design and robotics.
- Overall we have over 200 computers available for student use and a number of wireless hotspots to enable students with laptops to access the campus network.
Take a 360° tour of some of our facilities below, or immerse yourself fully in our Virtual Experience.
The Outside Broadcasting Truck offers broadcast-quality high-definition outputs using five Sony HSC-300R cameras with a dedicated Final Cut / Premiere edit suite and commentary booth. This facility is unique in UK higher education.
Our purpose-built television studio contains studio pedestals for broadcast TV cameras and a ‘cold light’ studio system. For location work we have a range of Sony HD cameras, pro lighting kits and a full range of portable audio recording and mixing equipment.
Our Mac and PC based suites contain a range of packages including Final Cut Pro, and Adobe Creative Cloud with additional sound production facilities, graphics tablets, scanners and large format printers.
Our 16-camera Vicon Optical Motion Capture system enables professional-standard editing acquisition of human body motion. The system has many more applications other than those specific to the entertainment industries, including medical and engineering applications. The increasing demand for motion capture is making our graduates extremely employable across many different sectors.
We have a dedicated black box studio including a large selection of flash and lighting equipment suitable for portraiture work, macro photography and lighbox production using Phase One medium-format and Canon full-frame digital cameras.
Along with our general computing labs and facilities we also offer specialist labs for computer games, graphics programming,video editing and robotics. Overall we have over 200 computers available for student use and a number of wireless hotspots to enable students with laptops to access the campus network.
Our 3D TV viewing area is equipped to showcase student work and discussions. It holds a static console unit containing Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and retro games consoles plus a number of high spec test PCs.
Our drawing studio holds practical art classes to facilitate still life drawing. The studio is well equipped with easels and drawing materials as well as a wealth of objects for still life interpretations.
Student Support Services provide a central Faculty reception where students can receive information and guidance as well as submit work for assessment. Our friendly staff are always available to answer any administrative queries students may have.
Technical Support maintain IT and support services across the School including our extensive media loans desk available to all current students. Our technical support section has dedicated personnel who deal with all of our IT services.
Student Breakout Areas
Breakout areas are used by students to relax in between lectures or to hold group meetings. Each area is equipped with vending machines, relaxed seating and open access PCs.