Advice and Support
Instant study skills advice sessions
During term time Instant Advice is available every weekday, from 10:00 - 16:00.
No need to book, simply come along to Academic Skills Advice and you will be seen in order of arrival.
Workshops and Clinics
During term time we offer maths clinics, writing skills clinics and a vast range of study skills workshops every week. In the run up to assessment periods we also offer revision skills clinics. Please see our Workshops and Clinics page for more information.
1-2-1 / group appointments
We provide advice on an individual basis, offering tailored services that meet your needs and are at your pace. The Advisers can meet students for 1-2-1 or small group appointments, and are able to offer guidance via telephone or email.
To book a doctoral skills appointment please use the new online booking system. For anything else related to enquiries about PhD, DPharm or DBA study, please email email@example.com.
On placement? Contact us to discuss a flexible pre-arranged appointment at a time to suit you.
There are various ways that we can help you to improve your maths.
- Check out our range of online resources, including summary sheets, refresher sheets and an online course.
- Attend a maths clinic - drop in at any time and a maths adviser will be available to help you practice, work through problems or to explain anything you didn’t understand in the lecture.
- Book an appointment with a maths Adviser. This can be individual or small group (for you and your friends). Please get in touch if you can't find an appointment to suit you.
- Email a question to us. This could be a written question, a photo of some maths you are working on, or whatever is easiest for you – we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
Academic writing skills advice
There are several easy ways you can access our free service to improve your writing skills:
- Make use of unlimited access to our skills workshops and 24/7 writing skills workshops available in Blackboard.
- Attend a writing clinic, where you can actively work on your assignment writing with an adviser on hand to offer guidance.
- Bring along work which has already been marked for instant, informed action planning to improve your marks for future assessments.
- Bring along an electronic copy of a 'live' draft-in-progress for developmental writing skills advice and tips. These in-depth one-to-ones are limited to one per semester, per student and drafts must be less than 3,000 words. See our writing skills breakdown sheet example (PDF 275KB) for more information.
Please note if you are part of the Faculty of Management and Law you may be able access support through the Effective Learning Service.
Find out more
If you would like to know more about any of these services please contact us.