For postgraduate students
As a postgraduate student you can access the same support as undergraduates, including our:
Planning your career
Your experience of research as a PhD student may have increased your interest in pursuing a career in academia, and you may be keen to apply for a research or lecturing post in a UK or overseas university. Alternatively, you could be considering a career outside of the academic environment, and a large number of PhD students work in industry, commerce and the not for profit sector.
In order to compete effectively for your chosen career, it is important to take stock of your skills, qualities and work experience and assess how these match up with employers’ recruitment requirements. You can then put a plan of action together to help you to work towards you carer goals.
We provide a range of workshops designed specifically for research students, covering issues such as:
- Planning a career in academia
- Exploring wider career options outside teaching and research at universities
- Making effective job application, including creating effective CVs
- Preparing for selection interviews
The full list of workshops is provided at the start of each semester, see details below.
In addition, research students can attend any of the workshops in our general workshops programme, covering such subjects such as using Social Media For Job seeking, Assessment Centres and many others.
Workshops For research students
Places are limited, so please make sure you book by following the links if you are interested in a particular session.
See also our employability workshops for all students.
When and where
Tuesday, 22 Jan 2019
14:00 - 16:00
PGR Lounge Room 01.02
Thursday, 21 Feb 2019
14:00 - 16:00
PGR Lounge Room 01.02
- www.jobs.ac.uk – Jobs in teaching and research in universities and other establishments. Their careers section has useful advice for postgraduates.
- Prospects features lots of advice for PhD students, including options for Phd students outside of academia.
- www.FindAPostDoc.com – post doctoral opportunities worldwide.
- www.vitae.ac.uk – a wide ranging careers resource for researchers, including careers case studies, survey based information about what PhD students do, information about CVs, applications and interviews. Register with your University of Bradford email address to access the full range of careers information.
- An Academic Career a site developed by the University of Manchester which provides information on: working in lecturing/research; different career paths within academia; job-seeking strategies and the recruitment and selection process.
- www.researchgate.net - A social networking site for researchers to connect and collaborate.
- www.timeshighereducation.co.uk - contains academic job listings.
- www.all-acad.com - jobs from academics from the UK and across the world.
- EURAXESS - aids researchers in their career development, supporting mobility and acting as a support mechanism for researchers moving abroad or moving to the UK.
- GoinGlobal - expert advice on finding jobs overseas, including country guides, company profiles and job opportunities.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) exist to link graduates with specialised expertise to businesses who can benefit from that knowledge. They are facilitated by academic institutions (including the University of Bradford) who employ the graduate, known as an associate, for specific projects as required by the business. Projects are generally two years in duration and can lead to permanent employment by the organisation.
You may be able to study for a Masters or other postgraduate qualification alongside the KTP depending on the project, and there is a personal development fund for training courses and development related to the project.
Find out more
- The GOV.UK Knowledge Transfer Partnership pages
- The Innovate UK pages, which includes current job listings
KTP at the University of Bradford
If you'd like to know more about KTPs and how the University of Bradford can help you, please feel free to get in touch with the Knowledge Transfer Partnership team on 01274 236000 or via email, they are always happy to have a chat about your options.
Services for MBA students
One-to-one career coaching sessions with our MBA Career Consultants are available to assist you with preparation, resilience and a career action plan that could include developing a range of professional and personal skills. Whether you are looking to change your career or take it in a new direction we are here to assist you on your career journey.
Our experienced and professional career consultants Hermione Berry and Kenneth Howgill offer appointments at both Emm Lane and City Campus (also available outside usual office hours to suit your needs).
- Book your appointment online
- Call us on +44 (0)1274 234991
- Call in to see us (check the opening hours)
- Or email email@example.com to arrange a convenient slot.
We also offer appointments via phone, email and Skype if you are not in Bradford - please get in touch for more details.
Please quote your full name, course and UB number when making a booking.
MBA Careers Webinar Schedule October 2018 – March 2019
The series of one hour careers webinars are delivered by our Career Consultants via Big Blue Button in Canvas, at 13.00 and 19.00 (GMT / BST) to cover a range of time zones. A link will be made available to all MBA students and graduates who wish to particulate. Recordings will be made available afterwards in Canvas. Save the dates in your diary and watch out for communications.
|Wednesday 14 November 18||Leveraging your MBA: Knowing your worth in the global market (Core webinar)|
|Friday 23 November 18||Networking for career success|
|Friday 7 December 18||How to get a job you love|
|Wednesday 16 January 19||Develop your MBA level CV|
|Friday 1 February 19||Using your LinkedIn to get you noticed|
|Wednesday 27 February 19||Success at Interviews|
|Wednesday 13 March 19||Leveraging your MBA: Knowing your worth in the global market (Core webinar)|
See more details on the Canvas MBA site or email us to find out more.
Career Booster Programme
Run by the School of Management, this programme covers a range of useful employability skills. The next week of sessions will take place on the week of 18 February 2019.
MBA specialist subscribed resources
These selected specialist MBA resources are available to you as students of the University:
- MBA Exchange - a trusted partner of top business schools to connect their students and alumni with employers, domestically and internationally: Quality career opportunities, 400+ MBA development programs, MBA Employers Directory, online recruiting events and a dedicated School of Management dashboard.
More jobsites for MBAs
- MBA match - jobs board for MBAs and MBA students.
- Indeed MBA jobs section.
- LinkedIn University of Bradford Alumni page - allowing the global UoB alumni community to connect, network, share ideas and knowledge, and offer advice and support to peers.
- Executive Grapevine - recruitment website.
- BLT - specialist recruitment website; upload your CV, search for jobs, events and advice.