Scholarship and professional practice feature significantly in our approach to developing and delivering research informed curricula. It is an essential aspect of the UK Professional Standards Framework (Area of activity A5) and the UK Quality Code (Indicator 3, Chapter B3: Learning and teaching). Understanding our students and how they learn is increasingly important if we are to offer approaches to learning and teaching to meet their needs.
We promote and facilitate scholarly discussion throughout all of our development activities, including the Professional Practice Programme.
Pedagogic Research (PedR) Virtual Community
Our online pedagogic research community offers opportunity for peer support and guidance. To self-enrol:
- Login to Blackboard.
- Enter PedR into the Search for an organisation box on the left.
- When the results appear, click on the down arrow next to the Organisation ID staff-ERSIG and choose enrol.
- A new window will appear, click on Submit.
- PedR should now be listed when you click on the Home tab.
Other educational research initiatives:
- Centre for educational development
- Education for sustainable development
- Student experience
- Life Sciences - Education Innovation Research and Development (EIRD), School of Pharmacy
For researcher development opportunities please refer to My Development.
HE Academy Discipline Resources
Higher Education Academy resources, blogs and events relating to discipline areas:
HE Academy Research Webinars
Lunchtime research webinars offer the opportunity to come together to debate critical issues in HE learning and teaching. Taking newly available pedagogic research and resources as their starting point, the webinars are aimed at those who want to keep up-to-date with new thinking to improve their practice, inform their institutional strategy, and develop policy.
The webinars are highly collaborative, enabling attendees to ask questions, make comments and receive regular updates and resources before, during and after the seminar.
A weekly Twitter chat on Wednesdays at 8.00 pm focusing on learning and teaching in Higher Education.
- #LTHEChat information.
Teaching and Learning Conversations (TLC)
The TLC is an exciting cross-institutional collaboration to provide joint CPD opportunities for everybody teaching and/or supporting learning in Higher Education.
- Programme - All webinars are on Tuesdays, 12.30 pm - 1.30 pm GMT.
JISC Research & Development
JISC R&D work identifies emerging technologies and develops them around particular needs.
- Research Councils UK;
- SEDA - Staff and Educational Development Association;
- SRHE - Society for Research in Higher Education (SRHE).
All applications for research funding should follow University procedures.