Communications and Networks Research Unit
We have a long and established history of research in the field of telecommunications, which can be traced back to the mid '80s.
Through participation in many influential pan-European, national and industrially-funded research projects, a wealth of knowledge, experience, expertise and know-how have been gathered, ensuring that we remain at the cutting edge of research and development. In particular, we have a strong presence in the EU research community, contributing significantly to various EU Framework Programme projects in the ICT and Aeronautics and Transport areas.
Research Key Strengths
Our research are conducted by the following research groups within the unit:
- Computational Electromagnetics, Radio Frequency and Antenna Engineering Research Group
- Future Ubiquitous Networks Research Group
- Networking and Performance Engineering Research Group
- Sustainable Energy and Smart Grid Research Group
A wide spectrum of research topics are covered including
- Aeronautical Communications;
- Antenna, Electromagnetics and Radio Frequency Engineering;
- Advanced FPGA;
- Digital Signal Processing and Imaging;
- Internet of Things and wireless sensor networks;
- Middleware Technologies;
- Mobile, Wireless, Satellite Communications Networks and Applications;
- Networking and Performance engineering;
- Robotics and embedded systems;
- Smart Grid Power Distribution and Sustainable Energy Generation.
- A 100 cubic meter microwave fully computerised anechoic chamber capable of providing both near field and far field measurements up to 26 GHz
- RF / Microwave equipments including Dielectric probe measurements, Network Analysers, frequency generators, set of narrow and wide amplifiers, Power Amplifies.
- Protocol adaptation and radio resource management software for heterogeneous networks
- VHF Data Link mode 2 higher protocols layer software
- SAW software for semantic collaboration among different IoT platforms
- Authentication and authorisation software for heterogeneous network access control
- High Frequency Structural Simulator (HFSS)
- Wireless Insite
- Advanced Design System (ADS)
- Computer Simulation Software (CST)
- Several hybrid computational source codes software include: MoM/FDTD and FE/FDTD and MoM/Sub-Mesh/FDTD.
International Research Collaborations
- Joint Innovation Laboratory of Advanced Communications and Signal Processing Technologies with Sichuan University, China
- Virtual Telecommunications and Smart Grid Laboratory with Institute of Innovation Technology (IIT), India and North Carolina State University, USA
Most Recent Achievements
- Smart Grid to harness satellite based virtual power plants for energy sustainability
(British Council Global Initiative)
(University of Bradford news)
- Development of Future Communications Systems for Civil Aircraft
- Patented protective sheet for mobile handsets radiation with two World Ltd.
- Outstanding Knowledge Transfer Partnership with Seven Technologies Group Ltd.
(See Knowledge Transfer Partnerships)
In the first instance, please contact the Research Unit leader:
Professor Fun Hu
Tel: 01274 234151 (overseas +44 1274 234151)
Professor Fun Hu
Faculty of Engineering and Informatics
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
University of Bradford