Dr Dhaval Thakker
- Title: Lecturer in Computing
- Email: D.Thakker@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: 4578
- Room No. Horton D4.04
- Qualifications: PhD MSc BEng
- Additional Role: Programme Leader, MSc in Internet of Things (IoT)
- Additional Role: Principal Investigator(PI) - EC project SCORE (Smart Cities + Open data REuse)
- Web: http://scim.brad.ac.uk/~dthakker/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/dr_thakker
- Research Groups: Artificial Intelligence
I am a Lecturer in the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Bradford. I have over ten years of experience in the European Union(EU) and industrial projects delivering innovative solutions. Prior to joining Bradford, I worked as a Research Fellow at the University of Leeds from 2011 to 2015 and was leading semantic web related research in several EU projects like the EU FP7 NeTTUN, ImREAL and DICODE. Before Leeds, I worked in the industry with UK's national news agency (Press Association) as a Research & Development Consultant to provide strategic and technical leadership in implementing Semantic Web and Linked data related projects to improve access to their media repositories.
Please visit my full website for more details on my research, projects, and PhD opportunities.
Current, and significant recent, funded projects
1. Smart Cities and Open Data(SCORE)(EC funded: €400k)
2. Big Data and IoT based smart digital vouchering solution (Innovate UK funded: £136k)
1. Best in-use paper award winner (first author) at Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2015)
2. Runner up Best Student Paper Award winner (first author) at IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS 2006)
3. PhD Scholarship (40k GBP) by Nottingham Trent University
Co-organiser, UK Ontology Network 2015, Leeds, UK
Co-chair, founder, Intelligent Exploration of Semantic Data (IESD) 2015 workshop at International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2015)
Project Liaison Co-Chair, UMAP 2015 conference, Dublin, Ireland.
Co-Chair, IESD workshop at the ISWC 2014.
Project Liaison Co-Chair, 22nd User Modelling, Adaptation and Personalisation Conference UMAP 2014
Co-Chair, Workshop on UMAP Project Synergy (UMAP PROS) workshop at the 22nd User Modelling, Adaptation and Personalisation Conference UMAP 2014
Co-Chair for the International Workshop on Intelligent Exploration of Semantic Data 2013, in conjunction with theHypertext2013, Paris, France.
Chair for the International Workshop on Intelligent Exploration of Semantic Data 2012, in conjunction with the EKAW 2012, Galway City, Ireland.
Co-organizer for the first workshop on Challenges and Promise of Semantic Web services, 6 September 2006, Nottingham Trent University, UK.
Co-chair for the second workshop on Challenges and Promise of Semantic Web, 26-27 September 2007, Nottingham Trent University, UK.
Elsevier Future Generation Computer Systems
IEEE Cloud Computing
IEEE transactions on computers
ILE Special Issue on Linked Data for Education and TEL
IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies Journal
Applied Ontology Journal
Enterprise Information Systems Journal
Journal of Service Oriented Computing and Applications
PC Member, the 23rd User Modelling, Adaptation and Personalisation Conference UMAP 2015
PC Member, the IEEE iNIS 2015
PC Member, Linked Learning 2015 Workshop at the WWW
PC Member, the 22nd User Modelling, Adaptation and Personalisation Conference UMAP 2014
PC Member, 5th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Ontology Development (KEOD2013), Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal, 19-22 September 2013.
PC Member, Third International Workshop on Linked Learning 2013 (Lile2013), in conjunction with World Wide Web conference, Brazil.
PC Member, 6th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Ontology Development (KEOD2014),
PC Member, 4th International Workshop on Culturally-Aware Tutoring Systems (CATS2013), in conjunction with International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED) 2013, Memphis, USA.
Reviewer, International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED) 2013, Memphis, USA.
PC Member for the 2nd International Workshop on Learning and Education with the Web of Data (LiLe2012) in conjunction with the WWW 2012, Lyon, France
PC Member for the 2nd International Workshop on Augmented User Modelling (AUM 2012) in conjunction with the UMAP 2012, Montreal, Canada
PC Member for the 1st International workshop on Learning Analytics and Linked Data in conjunction with the LAK 2012, Vancouver, Canada
PC Member for the International Conference on Advances in Cloud Computing, Bangalore, India
PC Member for the Augmenting User Models with Real World Experiences to Enhance Personalization and Adaptation (AUM) workshop - part of the UMAP 2011.
Technical Committee member and reviewer for the 2008 IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE 2008) in conjunction with 2008 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI 2008), Hong Kong, June 2008.
Reviewer for the Special Session on Web Services and the Semantic Grid organized with the 2008 International Conference High Performance Computing & Simulation, Nicosia, Cyprus, June 2008.
Ontology Summit 2014: Modeling Cultural Variations in Interpersonal Communication for Augmenting User Generated Content
GATE summer school 2011 : GATE and Press Association
GATE summer school 2010: Information Extraction and Linked Data Cloud
Current PhD students
1. Yusuf Tukur (UoB)
2. Faryar Ameli-Savehchi (UoB)
3. Ebtesam Taktek (UoB)
4. J Phengsuwan (Newcastle University)
Past PhD students at University of Leeds
1. Marwan Al-Tawil Thesis title: Intelligent exploration of heterogeneous datasets
2. Dimoklis Despotakis Thesis title: Viewpoint Semantics (now with BBC, UK)
Past MSc students (at University of Leeds)
1. Gaye EDIBOGLU title: Extending a Semantic Data Browser with Cultural Prompts
2. Odoma Michael title: Enriching Semantic Browsers with Linked Data: A Benchmarking Study Completed
3. Parvez Shaik title: Signposting For Exploratory Search In Linked Semantic Data Completed
4. Bala C. Development of a Hybrid Mobile Application for Job Application Market
Googe scholar is most reliable to find my publications. Click here to access my publications