Dr James Noras
- Title: Senior Lecturer in Electrical Engineering
- Email: Jmnoras@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: 4036
- Room No. Chesham B3.12
- Qualifications: BSc University of St. Andrews PhD University of St. Andrews MSc Open University
- Additional Role: Coordinator, BEng Hons in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Programme, Namal
- Additional Role: Coordinator, BEng Hons in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Programme, MDIS
- Additional Role: Coordinator, BEng Hons in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Programme, INTI
1 Harvard Engineering, KTP/H2020
2 Two Worlds Patent
3 Common Dream H2020
Current, and significant recent, funded projects
1. Yorkshire Innovation Fund, Research Development Project (RDP) with Emkay engineering Ltd (30,029, Jan 2015 – June 2015); has been awarded to start at Jan 2015 jointly with Prof RA Abd-Alhameed; This project will create a bubble tube for the special needs sector. The product will combine plastic structures with electronic components and displays, culminating in a sensory device offering a wide range of functionality. The product will provide enhancement to the electrical components through wireless connectivity that can support the multi-sensory intentions and significantly improve the functionality and value in a specialist manner.
2. Yorkshire Innovation Fund, Research Development Project (RDP) with TWO World Consulting Limited (30,034, April 2014 – April 2015); this project will create a new cell phone protective case, provisionally branded The Tiger Case. The product will look sleek and enhance the user experience as well as offering protection for the phone from impact and abrasive damage. Crucially, this new product will be the only phone case that will protect the cell phone user from over 95% of the radiation emitted by their cell phone. The research will deeply investigate the transmitter technologies embedded in modern cell phones so as to facilitate product design incorporating improved handset transmission efficiency therefore lengthening battery life and improving safety and usability; Reference: 40028/RY0018.
3. WiMAC Harvard Engineering ltd (£8,000, April 2015- Dec 2015), Project Design and test a monopole antenna to cover UHF and GSM frequency band on circular board integrated with the Transceiver. Reference: 40099/R00856, this project joined with Prof RA Abd-Alhameed.
Applications submitted and under consideration
1. Innovative Training Networks (ITN) , Call: H2020-MSCA-ITN-2015, MARIE SKŁODOWSKA-CURIE ACTIONS, Secure Cooperative Mobile Small Cells for Enabling 5G Ubiquitous Services, Jan 2016; joint with RA Abd-Alhameed and R QAhwaji, Bradford share £545k.
Refereed Conference Papers
1. Mirza A F, Abd-Alhameed R A, Asif R, Noras J M, Excell P S, UWB antenna design for bone fracture detection, URSI, Festival of Radio Science 2015, The University of Manchester on 16 December 2015, Paper No. 26.
2. A.F. Mirza, F. Abdulsalam, R. Asif, Y.A.S. Dama, M. M. Abusitta, F. Elmegri, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, J.M. Noras, R. Qahwaji, Breast Cancer Detection using 1D, 2D and 3D FDTD Numerical Methods, IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology; Ubiquitous Computing and Communications; Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing; Pervasive Intelligence and Computing, Liverpool, 26-30 Oct 2015, pp. 1042-1045; 978-1-5090-0154-5/15.
3. H.S.O. Migdadi, H. Obeidat, K.O. Anoh, N.N. Khatib, J.M. Noras, R. Qahwaji and R.A. Abd-Alhameed, Channel Estimation for OFDM FFT/DWT in Multi- Carrier Modulation used in Wireless Telemedicine, IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology; Ubiquitous Computing and Communications; Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing; Pervasive Intelligence and Computing, Liverpool, 26-30 Oct 2015, pp. 1057-1062; 978-1-5090-0154-5/15.
4. A. Ahmed, Y.F. Hu, J.M. Noras, Aleister Smith, P. Pillai and R.A. Abd-Alhameed "Random Matrix Theory Based Spectrum Sensing for Cognitive Radio Networks," in Sixth International Conference on Internet Technologies & Applications 4th International Workshop on Energy Efficient and Reconfigurable Transceivers, Werxham, 8-11 Sept, 2015, pp. 475-478.
5. H.S.O. Migdadi, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, E.A.A. Qaralleh, H.A. Obeidat, J.M. Noras and M.J. Ngala "FIR Implementation on FPGA: Investigate the FIR order on SDA and PDA algorithms" in Sixth International Conference on Internet Technologies & Applications 4th International Workshop on Energy Efficient and Reconfigurable Transceivers, Werxham, 8-11 Sept, 2015, pp.415-422.
6. A. Ghani, C. H. See, H. Migdadi, R. Asif, R. A. A.Abd-Alhameed and J. M Noras "Reconfigurable Neurons - Making the Most of Configurable Logic Blocks (CLBs)," in Sixth International Conference on Internet Technologies & Applications 4th International Workshop on Energy Efficient and Reconfigurable Transceivers, Werxham, 8-11 Sept, 2015, pp.471-474
7. M. O. Akinsolu, A. Atojok, A. Ali, E. Ibrahim, I. T. E. Elfergani, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, Abubakar Sadiq Hussaini, J. M. Noras, and Jonathan Rodriguez, Novel Quadrifilar Helical Antenna for RFID Applications Using Genetic Algorithms, PIERS Proceedings, July 6-9, 2015, Czech Republic, pp. 534-538; www.emacademy.org.
1 AHMED, Adeel
2 AL-SADOON, Mohammed Abdullah Ghali (Mohammed)
3 ALHASSAN, Haru
4 ALI, Ammar
5 DANJUMA, Isah (Isah Musa)
6 EYA, Nnabuike (Eya)
7 ABDUSSALAM, Fathi
8 ALABDULLAH, Ali
1. Chapter 5 of the following book: 5G for Mobile and Wireless communications, Abubakar S. Hussaini, Yasir I. Abdulraheem, Konstantinos N. Voudouris5, Raed Abd-Alhameed, James M Noras and Mathias Fonkam, Chapter title:L Green Flexible RF for 5G, Chaste 11, Sept 2014 for Wiley book title:
2. Chapter 8 of the following book: K N Ramli and R A Abd-Alhameed, "Development of Complex Electromagnetic Problems using FDTD Subgridding in Hybrid Computational Techniques", Nova Publisher, 2014, ISBN-13: 978-1-60692-463-1, and ISBN-10: 1-60692-463-X
Book Chapter submitted and under review:
1. Ch See, RA Abd-Alhameed, JM Noras, Book title, Antenna fundamentals for legacy mobile applications and beyond, chapter title: Design of Dual-band Planar Inverted F-L-Structure for frequency bands of the IEEE 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth and ZigBee standards, Springer, Feb 2016
1. H.A. Obeidat, Y.A.S. Dama, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, F. Hu, R. Qahwaji, J.M. Noras, S.M.R. Jones, A Comparison between Vector Algorithm and CRSS Algorithms for Indoor Localization using Received Signal Strength, ACES Journal, accepted subject to revision, 2015.
2. T. S. Ghazaany, S. Zhu, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, J. M. Noras, S. M. R. Jones, T. Van Buren, T. Suggett and S. Marker, Experimental Study of Coupling Compensation of Low Profile Spiral Antenna Arrays Response for Direction-finding Applications, ACES Journal, accepted subject to revision, 2015
3. H. Jameel, Y. Abdulraheem, K Abdullah, R Alwaily, RA Abd-Alhameed, J.M. Noras, The Design of a Uniplanar Printed Triple Band-Rejected UWB Antenna using Particle Swarm Optimization and the Firefly Algorithm, IET MAP (in press, accepted in 1st Sept 2015), pp. 1-11
4. Asmaa H. Majeed, A.S. Abdullah, Khalil Hassan Sayidmarie, Raed A. Abd-Alhameed, Fauzi Elmegri, J.M. Noras, Dual-segment S-shaped aperture-coupled cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for X-band applications, IET Microw. Antennas Propag., 2015, pp. 1-10.
5. Asmaa H. Majeed, A.S. Abdullah, Khalil Hassan Sayidmarie, Raed A. Abd-Alhameed, Fauzi Elmegri, J.M. Noras, Balanced dual-segment cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas for ultra-wideband applications, IET Microw. Antennas Propag., 2015, pp. 1-9. ISSN 1751-8725
6. Asmaa H. Majeed, Abdulkareem S. Abdullah, Khalil H. Sayidmarie, Raed A. Abd-Alhameed, Fauzi Elmegri, and James M. Noras, COMPACT DIELECTRIC RESONATOR ANTENNA WITH BAND-NOTCHED CHARACTERISTICS FOR ULTRA-WIDEBAND APPLICATIONS, PIERC, Vol. 57, page 137-148, 2015
7. Rameez Asif, Raed Abd-alhameed and J M Noras. Article: A Unique Wavelet-based Multicarrier System with and without MIMO over Multipath Channels with AWGN. International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 117, issue 9, May 2015, pp. 31-40, ISSN: 0975 - 8887
8. Kelvin O.O. Anoh , James M. Noras, Raed A. Abd-Alhameed, Steve M.R. Jones, Konstantinos N. Voudouris, Erratum to "A new approach for designing orthogonal wavelets for multicarrier applications", Int. J. Electron. Commun. 68 (2014) 616-622
9. A.H. Majeed, A.S. Abdullah, F. Elmegri, K.H. Sayidmarie, R.A. Abd-Alhameed and J.M. Noras, Aperture-Coupled Asymmetric Dielectric Resonators Antenna for Wideband Applications, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 13, May 2014, pp. 927-930. ISSN: 1536-1225.
10. K. Anoh, R. Asif, R. Abd-Alhameed, J. Rodriguez, J. M. Noras, S.M.R. Jones, A. S. Hussaini, "Multi-Antenna OFDM System Using Coded Wavelet with Weighted Beamforming", Radio Engineering, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 356-361, April 2014, pp. 356-361. http://www.radioeng.cz/fulltexts/2014/14_01_0356_0361.pdf
11. Kelvin O.O. Anoh, James M. Noras, Raed A. Abd-Alhameed, Steve M.R. Jones, Konstantinos N. Voudouris, "A new approach for designing orthogonal wavelets for multicarrier applications", AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Available online 24 January 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aeue.2014.01.009
12. Zhu, S. ; Ghazaany, T.S. ; Jones, S.M.R. ; Abd-Alhameed, R. ;Noras, J.M. ; Van Buren, T. ; Wilson, J. ; Suggett, T. ;Marker, S., Probability Distribution of Rician K-Factor in Urban, Suburban and Rural Areas Using Real World Captured Data, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol: pp, Issue: p, 2014, pp. 1-5, Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TAP.2014.2318072
13. K. N. RAMLI, R. A. ABD-ALHAMEED, C. H. SEE, A. ATOJOKO, J. M. NORAS, and P. S. EXCELL, "Electromagnetic Field Computation for Power Transmission Lines Using Quasi-Static Sub-Gridding Finite-Difference Time-Domain Approach", Electromagnetics, 34:47-65, 2014, pp. 47-65, Copyright © Taylor & Francis Group, LLCISSN: 0272-6343 print/1532-527X online, DOI: 10.1080/02726343.2014.846186
14. C.H. See, H.I. Hraga, J.M. Noras, R.A. Abd-Alhameed and N.J. McEwan, "Compact multiple input and multiple output/diversity antenna for portable and mobile ultra-wideband," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, 2013, June, Vol. 7, Iss. 6, pp. 444-451 , doi: 10.1049/iet-map.2012.0574
15. Kelvin O. O. Anoh, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, J. M. Noras, S. M. R. Jones, "Wavelet Packet Transform Modulation for Multiple Input Multiple Output Applications", International Journal of Computer Applications, Volume 63- No. 7, February 2013, pp. 46-51. Digital Library URI: http://www.ijcaonline.org/archives/volume63/number7/10482-5221 ISSN: 0975 - 8887
16. K. N. Ramli, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, P. S. Excell, and J. M. Noras, "Hybrid Computational Scheme for Antenna-Human Body Interaction", Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 117-136, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12082209
17. C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, H. I. Hraga, P. S. Excell, S. M. R. Jones, J. M. Noras, "A Band-Suppression UWB Suspended Planar Antenna Incorporating A Slotted Spiral Resonator", International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering/Vol. 23, No. 5, September 2013, pp. 570-578, DOI 10.1002/mmce.20691, Online in Wiley Online Library: (wileyonlinelibrary.com). Online ISSN: 1099-047X.
Journal submitted and under review:
1. Y. A. S. Dama, A. Masri, N. Abu Zaid, K. O. O. Anoh, R. A. Abd-Alhameed , Y. F. Hu and J. M. Noras, A New Approach for Implementing Quasi-Orthogonal Space-Time Block Codes and Diagonalized Hadamard Space-Time Block Codes over OFDM, Electronic and Communications Journal, Springer, 2016.
2. A. Masri, Y. A. S. Dama, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, N. Odeh1, F. Hasan, A. Mousa, Y.F. Hu, and J. M. Noras, Secondary User Undercover Cooperative Dynamic Access Protocol for Overlay Cognitive Radio Networks, IET Engineering, Dec 2015.
3. S. Adnan, A. Mirza, R. Asif, R.A. Abd-Alhameed, C.H. See, R. Qahwaji, Q. Yousuf, J.M. Noras, P.S. Excell, An Active Microwave System for Near Field Imaging, IEEE Trans MTT, Feb 2016.