Dr Ben Whiteside
- Title: Senior Lecturer
- Email: B.R.Whiteside@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: 6266
- Room No. Richmond WG22A
- Qualifications: PhD Bradford BSc Leeds
- Additional Role: Director - RKT Centre Polymer MNT
- Web: http://www.polymer-mnt.brad.ac.uk
- Research Groups: Centre for Polymer Micro and Nano Technology
- Research Groups: Advanced Materials Engineering
Ben currently leads the RKT Centre for Polymer Micro and Nano Technology based at the University of Bradford which provides a key resource for industry working to bring micro and nano scale components to market, alongside internationally recognised pioneering academic research in the field.
Key areas of research interest:
- Surface structuring of polymeric devices using feature replication
- Material-specific behaviour
- Crystallisation properties and post processes including plasma treatment or embossing
- Product property control using advanced process control and novel materials and material combinations to tailor internal morphology
- Optical characterisation methods for polymer processes including high speed optical and thermal imaging systems
Current research areas include:
- Moulding of nano-precision optics using a range of technologies
- Characterisation of polymers and nano-composites/suspensions in high strain rate environments
- High speed process measurement using internet enabled technologies
- Novel sensor development. Utilising a range of emerging technologies including piezoelectric ultrasonic sensors, IR sensors etc.
- Software development to enable high speed data acquisition/archiving and process characterisation.
- Studies of the effect of processing parameters on the geometric, morphological and mechanical properties of micromoulded products. Measurement techniques include AFM, nano indenting optical profilometry and nano-DMA.
- High speed optical and thermal imaging of micromoulding flows
- Investigations of nano-composite properties and nano-particulate dispersion in polymers
- Development of novel machine vision techniques for 100% product inspection in micromoulding processes. Techniques include Extended Depth of Field and white light interferometry
EPSRC Microneedles Bid with Cardiff University
Current, and significant recent, funded projects
H2020 Marie Curie ITN for ESRs MICROMAN £200k
EPSRC MeDe Centre for Innovative Manufacturing - The manufacture of medical device surfaces that are resistant to microbial colonisation £37.5k
EPSRC EP/L020572/1 Smart Manufacturing of Medical Devices for soft tissue fixation £825k
Sofmat Ltd £180k
Recently completed grants:
Dyson Ltd £118k
FP7 COTECH £394k
EPSRC EP/I014551/1 Thermal contact resistance modelling for polymer processing £536k
ERDF NANOFACTORY £1.2m
KTP Precision Polymer Engineering Ltd £118k
YIF DB Orthodontics £31k
YIF PP&E £31k
YIF Aedstem £31k
Sorgato M, Babenko M, Lucchetta G and Whiteside B (2016): "Investigation of the influence of vacuum venting on mould
surface temperature in micro injection moulding" International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Springer, London.
For more information see: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00170-016-8789-8
Nair K., Whiteside B.R., Grant C., Patel R. and Tuinea-Bobe C. (2015): "Investigation of Plasma Treatment on Micro-Injection Moulded Microneedle for Drug Delivery" Pharmaceutics, MDPI, Basel, 7 471-485.
For more information see: http://www.mdpi.com/1999-4923/7/4/471/htm
Gao Y., Dong X., Wang L., Whiteside B. and Coates P.D. (2015): "Flow-induced crystallization of long chain aliphatic polyamides under a complex flow field: Inverted anisotropic structure and formation mechanism" Polymer, 73 91-101.
For more information see: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032386115301099
Griffiths C.A., Tosello G, Dimov S.S., Scholtz S and Whiteside S (2015): "Characterisation of demoulding parameters in micro-injection moulding" Microsystem Technologies , 21 (8): 1677-1690.
For more information see: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00542-014-2269-6
Vella P.C., Dimov S.S., Brousseau E and Whiteside B.R. (2014): "A new process chain for producing bulk metallic glass replication masters with micro- and nano-scale features" The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology .
For more information see: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00170-014-6148-1
- Deng P, Whiteside BR, Wang F, Norris K and Zhang J (2014): "Epitaxial growth and morphological characteristics of isotactic polypropylene/polyethylene blends: Scale effect and mold temperature" Polymer Testing, 34 192-201.
- Fei G, Tuinea-Bobe C, Whiteside B.R., Coates P.D. and Xia H (2013): "Electro-activated surface micropattern tuning for microinjection molded electrically conductive shape memory polyurethane composites " RSC Advances, 3 24132-24139.
- Jiang Z, Wang Y, Whiteside B.R., Coates P.D. and Men Y (2013): "Tensile Deformation of Oriented Poly(ε-caprolactone) and Its Miscible Blends with Poly(vinyl methyl ether)" Macromolecules, 46 (17): 6981-6990.
- Pagire S, Korde S, Whiteside B.R., Kendrick J and Paradkar A (2013): "Spherical Crystallization of Carbamazepine/Saccharin Co-Crystals: Selective Agglomeration and Purification through Surface Interactions" Cryst. Growth Des, 13 (10): 4162-4167.
- Gonzalez-Castro G, Spares R, Ugail H, Whiteside B.R. and Sweeney J (2012): "Towards the analytic characterization of micro and nano surface features using the Biharmonic equation" Applied Mathematical Modelling, 36 (3): 1161-1172.
- González Castro G, Spares R, Ugail H, Whiteside B.R. and Sweeney B.R. (2010): "Surface profiling of micro-scale structures using partial differential equations" International Journal of Material Forming, Springer-Verlag, 3 (1): 415-418.
- Kelly A.L, Gough T.G., Whiteside B.R. and Coates P.D. (2009): "High shear strain rate rheometry of polymer melts" Applied polymer Science, 114 (2): 864-873.
Whiteside BR, Spares R, Brown EC, Norris K and Coates P (2008): "Optical imaging metrology for micromoulding cavity flows and products" Plastics, Rubber and Composites, 37 (2-4): 57-66.
For more information see: http://www.maneyonline.com/doi/abs/10.1179/174328908X283384
- Ono Y, Whiteside B.R., Brown E, Coates P.D. and Jen P.D. (2007): "Real-time process monitoring of micromolding using integrated ultrasonic sensors. " Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control , SAGE Publications, 29 (5): 383-401.
- Cheng C.C., Ono Y, Whiteside B.R., Brown E and Coates P.D. (2007): "Real-time diagnosis of micro powder injection molding using integrated ultrasonic sensors" International Polymer Processing, Hanser, 22 (2): 140-145.
- Price C.D., Hine P.J., Whiteside B., Cunha A.M. and Ward A.M. (2006): "Modelling the elastic and thermoelastic properties of short fibre composites with anisotropic phases" Composites Science and Technology, Elsevier, 66 69-79.
- Whiteside BR, Martyn M and Coates PD (2006): "Introduction to Micromoulding", Precision Injection Moulding, Greener, J., Wimberger-Friedl, R (ed.) ISBN: ISBN3-446-21670-7, pp. 250-300.