Dr Farshid Sefat
- Title: Lecturer in Medical Engineering
- Email: F.Sefat1@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: 3679
- Room No. Chesham C2.19
- Qualifications: BSc (Hons): Radiology, BEng (Hons): Medical Engineering (UK), MSc: Cell and Tissue Engineering (UK), PhD: Bone Cell Engineering (UK),
- Additional Role: Course Leader - Tissue Engineering and Wound Repair
- Additional Role: Course Leader - Cell and Tissue Biology
- Additional Role: Course Leader - Cell Culture (Skills for Engineering)
- Research Groups: Medical Engineering
Farshid Sefat is a lecturer in Medical Engineering at the University of Bradford. Previously he was Head of Biomedical Engineering Department at King Faisal University (Saudi Arabia) and Visiting Professor at Stevens Institute of Technology (New Jersey, USA). He completed his post doctorate research assistant at University of Sheffield (UK) in the area of cornea tissue engineering. He received his Ph.D. (2011) and BEng. (2005) degrees in Biomedical Engineering both from University of Bradford (UK). He also obtained his MSc. (2006) in Biomedical Engineering (Cell and Tissue Engineering) from Keele University, (UK).
His research is based on developing biomaterials to control cellular behaviour with particular emphasis in developing engineered materials for tissue engineering.
Key areas of research interest:
1. Skin, Hair, Breast and Cornea Tissue Engineering
2. Oral/Dental Tissue Engineering
3. Bone and Cartilage Cell Engineering
4. Dental Biomaterials
5. Biomaterials Fabrication & Characterization
6. Effect of Mechanical Stimulation on Bone Cell Behaviour
7. Effects of Growth Factors on Cell Behaviour (Cell Signalling)
8. Synthesis of Antibacterial Peptides for Dental Implant Modification
Current research areas include:
1. Optimisation of layer-by-layer 3D scaffold for dermal wound healing
2. Fabrication and characterisation of biodegradable scaffolds for cornea tissue engineering
3. Cell signalling pathways of Transforming Growth Factor Beta (TGF-β isomers)
4. Investigating breast cancer behaviour using tissue engineering scaffolds
5. Electrospun nanoﬁbers for vascular tissue engineering
Current, and significant recent, funded projects
UK-Mexico Researcher Links (£3.5K)
MeDe Best Video Award (£180)
UOB – Internal Development Grant (£3.5K)
Newton Fund (1) – UK-China Researcher Links (£1.8K)
Newton Fund (2) – UK-China Researcher Links (£1.8K)
Newton Fund (3) – UK-China Researcher Links (£1.8K)
Newton Fund – UK-Mexico Researcher Links (£2K)
Translate Me – Innovation bootcamp Workshop (£500)
Translate Me – Industrial Project (£2.5K)
Newton Fund (1) – UK-China Researcher Links (£1.8K)
Newton Fund (2) – UK-China Researcher Links (£1.8K)
Newton Fund – UK-China Researcher Links (£2K)
AD-RKT/UOB - Capacity Development Grant (£30K)
Applications submitted and under consideration
1- AD-RKT/UOB - Capacity Development Grant (£15,000) (Submitted)
Title: Development of Electrospun Scaffold for breast tissue engineering
2- EPSRC First Grant (£150,000) (Submitted)
Title: Functional composite scaffold for local drug delivery in situ postoperatively in breast cancer patients
2018 - MeDe UK Best Video Award
2013 - Best Paper award for 4th International Conference on Biotechnology, Leeds, UK.
2011 - Best Paper award for 13th Annual White Rose Meeting, Biomaterial and Tissue Engineering group (BITEG), Sheffield, UK.
2010 - Best paper award of World Congress of Engineering (WCE 2010), London, UK. Paper title: The Effect of Different HCl Concentrations on Wound Healing of Bone Cell Monolayer.
2010 - Best paper award of World Congress of Engineering (WCE 2010), London, UK. Paper title: The Effect of Transforming Growth Factor Beta (TGF-β3) and Sanicle on Wound Healing.
2009 - Best paper award of World Congress of Engineering (WCE 2009), London, UK. Paper title: The Effect of TGF-β3, HCl and BSA/HCl on Trypsinisation of Bone Cells Monolayer.
2009 - Best paper award of World Congress of Engineering (WCE 2009), London, UK. Paper title: The Anti-Scarring Properties of TGF-β3, BSA/HCl and HCl in Cultured Human Bone Cell Monolayer.
1) New International Journal of Pharmaceutics [Editor]
2) MOJ Cell Science & Report, Med Crave Publishing Group [Editor]
3) Journal of Trauma and Acute Care [Editor]
4) Journal Trauma & Treatment [Editor]
1) Acta Biomaterialia [Reviewer]
2) Materials Science and Engineering C [Reviewer]
3) Wound Repair and Regeneration [Reviewer]
4) Journal of Orthopaedics & Rheumatology [Reviewer]
5) Wound Medicine [Reviewer]
6) Journal of Biomechanics [Reviewer]
7) Journal of Controlled Release [Reviewer]
8) Journal of Membrane Science [Reviewer]
9) Medical Engineering & Physics [Reviewer]
10) Bone [Reviewer]
11) J of Mechanical behaviour of Biomedical Materials [Reviewer]
12) Materials Today [Reviewer]
13) Journal of Trauma & Treatment [Reviewer]
14) Journal of Osteoporosis & Physical Activities [Reviewer]
15) Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation [Reviewer]
16) Journal Of Nuclear Medicine & Radiation Therapy [Reviewer]
17) Second Middle East Conference on Biomedical Engineering (MECBME), IEEE [Reviewer]
18) Journal of Reproduction and Infertility, Official Journal of Avicenna Research Institute [Reviewer]
International Conference Organisation
1) Ramisha Rehman
2) Morteza Bazgir
1) Dami Agbabiaka
2) Payal Kaur
1) Tehmeena Israr Raja
2) Charlotte Taylor
3) Kandeel Anwar
4) Joshua Dowling
5) Mehreen Zia
6) Nikoshya Vas
7) Zahraa Alturkamani
Visiting Research Fellow
- MOZAFARI M, SEFAT F and ATALA A (2019): "Handbook of Tissue Engineering Scaffolds ", Elsevier.
- KHURSHID Z, NAJEEB S and SEFAT F (2018): "Advanced Dental Biomaterials: Chemistry, Manipulation and Applications", (Elsevier).
SEFAT F (2014): "Electrocardiography, ECG Interpretation and Applications", Scholars’ Press, Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany ISBN: 978-3-639-71412-8.
For more information see: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrocardiography-Interpretation-Applications-Farshid-Sefat/dp/3639714121
SEFAT F (2013): "Cell Engineering of Human Bone", Scholars’ Press, Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany ISBN: 978-3-639-51674-6.
For more information see: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cell-Engineering-Human-Bone-Transforming/dp/3639516745
SEFAT F (2013): "Bone Cells and Mechanical Stimulation", Scholars’ Press, Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany ISBN: 978-3-639-70201-9.
For more information see: http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Cells-Mechanical-Stimulation-Substrates/dp/3639702018
- MOHAMADI A, MALEKI-JAMISHID A, SEFAT F, PERRY G and MOZAFARI M (2018): "Transplantation of Human Chorion-derived Cholinergic Progenitor Cells: A Novel Treatment for Neurological Disorders. " Molecular Neurobiology..
- ZOLFIGOL MA, KHAZAIE A, AGHABARARI B, SEFAT F and MOZAFARI M (2018): "Synthesis of Indolo[3,2-b]carbazoles via an Anomeric-Based Oxidation Process: A Combined Experimental and Computational Strategy. " J. Heterocyclic Chem..
- RAJA TI, KHAGHANI SA, MOZAFARI M, YOUSEFFI M and SEFAT F (2018): "Effect of TGF-β1 on Water Retention Properties of Healthy and Osteoarthritic Chondrocytes. " Materials Today Procedia.
- DAGHIGH AHMADI E, RAJA TI, MOZAFARI M, YOUSEFFI M and SEFAT F (2018): "The Role of Photonics and Natural Curing Agents of TGF-β1 in Treatment of Osteoarthritis. " Materials Today Procedia .
- SOON CF, TEE KS, SEFAT F, SULTAN N and YOUSEFFI M (2018): "Comparison of biophysical properties characterized for microtissues cultured using microencapsulation and liquid crystal based 3D cell culture techniques. " Cytotechnology..
- MOHAMADI F, EBRAHIMI S, SALEHI M, SEFAT F and AI J (2017): "Enhanced Sciatic nerve regeneration by human endometrial Stem Cells in an electrospun poly (ε-caprolactone)/ collagen/NBG nerve conduit in a rat. " Artificial Cells, Nanomedicine and Biotechnology .
- KAUR P, KHAGHANI SA, KURSHID Z, MOZAFARI M and SEFAT F (2017): "Fabrication and Characterisations of Hydrogels for Cartilage Repair " Advances in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine..
- HAFSHEJANI TM, ZAMANIAN A, SEFAT F, ZARRINTAJ P and MOZAFARI M (2017): "Antibacterial glass-ionomer cement restorative materials: A critical review on the current status of extended release formulations" J of Control Release .
- GENTILE P, SEFAT F, DALGARNO K and FERREIRA M (2017): "Biosynthetic PCL-graft-collagen bulk material for tissue engineering applications. X" Materials .
- ABDELDAYEM A, YOUSEFFI M, SEFAT F, GENEDY M and JAVID F (2017): "The Effect of WIN55, 212-2 on Protein S100, Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 and Nitric Oxide Expression of Chondrocyte Monolayer. " SM J Biomed Eng..
- GOODARZI S, DA ROS T, CONDE J, SEFAT F and MOZAFARI M (2017): "Fullerene: Biomedical Engineers Get to Revisit an Old FrienD" Materials Today.
- SADEGHI F, YAZDANPANAH A, HOPKINSON L, SEFAT F and MOZAFARI F (2017): "Shape-controlled silver NPs for shape-dependent biological activities" IET Micro & Nano Letters.
- NAJEEB S, KHURSHID Z and SEFAT F (2016): "Dental Applications of Nanodiamonds" Science of Advanced Materials.
- SEFAT F, YOUSEFFI M, KHAGHANI SA, SOON CF and JAVID CF (2016): "Effect of Transforming Growth Factor-β3 on mono and multilayer chondrocytes" CYTOKINES.
SEFAT F, MAHJOUR B, POLUNIN Y, WANG L and WANG L (2016): "Improved cell infiltration of electrospun nanofiber mats for layered tissue constructs" J Biomed Mater Res A, Wiley.
For more information see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26845076
ZAFAR M, NAJEEB S, KHURSHID Z, NAJEEB B and SEFAT B (2016): "Potential of Electrospun Nanoﬁbers for Biomedical and Dental Applications
" Materials, MDPI, 9 (2).
For more information see: http://www.mdpi.com/1996-1944/9/2/73
SEFAT F, KHAGHANI S.A., NEJATIAN T, GENEDY M and YOUSEFFI M (2015): "Transforming Growth Factor Beta (TGF-β) Isomers Influence Cell Detachment of MG-63 Bone Cells" Tissue and Cell, Elsevier, 47 (6): 567-574.
For more information see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26372305
MAHJOUR B, FU X, YANG X, SEFAT F and WANG H (2015): "Rapid creation of skin substitutes from human skin cells and biomimetic nanofibers for acute full-thickness wound repair" Burns, Elsevier, 41 (8): 1764–1774.
For more information see: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305417915001837
DESHPANDE P, ORTEGA I, SEFAT F, SANGWAN V.S. and MACNEIL V.S. (2015): "Rocking Media Over Ex Vivo Corneas Improves This Model and Allows the Study of the Effect of Proinflammatory Cytokines on Wound Healing" Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci., 56 (3): 14-15308.
For more information see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25655804
NEJATIAN T, SEFAT F and JOHNSON T (2015): "Impact of Packing and Processing Technique on Mechanical Properties of Acrylic Denture Base Materials" Materials, MDPI, 8 (5): 2093-2109.
For more information see: http://www.mdpi.com/1996-1944/8/5/2093
ORTEGA I, SEFAT F, DESHPANE P, PATERSON T and MACNEIL T (2014): "Combination of microstereolithography and electrospinning to produce membranes equipped with niches for corneal regeneration" J Vis Exp.
For more information see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25285843
- KHURSHID Z, NAJEEB S, ZOHAIB S, SEFAT F and ZAFAR F (2014): "Histatin peptides: Pharmacological functions and their applications in dentistry" Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal.
- BYE F.J., BULLOCK A.J., SINGH R, SEFAT F and MACNEIL S (2014): "Development of a Basement Membrane Substitute Incorporated Into an Electrospun Scaffold for 3D Skin Tissue Engineering " Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, American Scientiﬁc Publishers , 4.
SEFAT F, DENYER M and YOUSEFFI M (2014): "Effects of Different Transforming Growth Factor Beta (TGF-β) Isomers on Wound Closure of Bone Cell Monolayers" Cytokine, Elsevier, 69 (1).
For more information see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25022965
DESHPANDE P, RAMACHANDRAN C, SEFAT F, RYAN A.J. and MACNEIL A.J. (2013): "Simplifying corneal surface regeneration using a biodegradable synthetic membrane and limbal tissue explants" Biomaterials, Elsevier, 34 (21): 5088-106.
For more information see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23591389
SEFAT F, MCKEAN R, DESHPANE P, RAMACHANDRAN C and MACNEIL S (2013): "Production, Sterilisation and Storage of Biodegradable Electrospun PLGA Scaffolds for Delivery of Limbal Stem Cells to the Cornea" Procedia Engineering, Elsevier, 59 101–116.
For more information see: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705813010138
SEFAT F, DENYER M.C. and YOUSEFFI F (2011): "Imaging via widefield surface plasmon resonance microscope for studying bone cell interactions with micro-patterned ECM proteins" J Microsc, Wiley, Oxford, 241 (3): 282-90.
For more information see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21118224
SEFAT F, YOUSEFFI M and DENYER M (2010): "Biological Application of Widefield Surface Plasmon Resonance Microscope to Study Cell/Surface Interactions and the Effect of TGF-β3, HCl and BSA/HCl on Cell Detachment Assay of Bone Cells Monolayer", Electronic Engineering and Computing Technology, Springer, Netherlands ISBN: 978-90-481-8775-1, pp. 575-583.
For more information see: http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-90-481-8776-8_49
SEFAT F, YOUSEFFI M and DENYER M (2010): "Application of a Novel Widefield Surface Plasmon Resonance Microscope in Cell Imaging and Wound Closure Properties of TGF-β3, BSA/HCl and HCl in Cultured Human Bone Cell Monolayer", Electronic Engineering and Computing Technology, Springer, Netherlands ISBN: 978-90-481-8775-1, pp. 585-595.
For more information see: http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-90-481-8776-8_50