Dr Hong-Sheng Qi
- Title: Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering
- Email: H.Qi@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: 5451
- Room No. Chesham C2.25
- Qualifications: PhD, Liverpool John Moores University UK; MSc, Northeastern University China; BEng, Northeastern University China; PGCHE, University of Bradford UK.
- Additional Role: Programme Leader for UoB(UK)-MDIS(Singapore) Franchise Mech. Eng.
- Research Groups: Mechanical and Process Engineering
- Research Groups: Automotive Research Centre
After graduating with a BEng (Hons) in Manufacturing and Design (first class) at North-eastern University China (NEUC) in 1982 I was employed as assist lecturer then lecturer by the university. I obtained MSc Degree (part time) in Mechanical Engineering (with merit) in 1985. From 1991, as a visiting scholar then a PhD research assistant, I started to work under the guidance of Professor Brian Rowe in the Advanced Manufacturing Research Laboratory at Liverpool John Moores University UK, which led to the award of a PhD on the Modelling of the Contact Length in Grinding Process in 1995. Following this I worked under the tutelage of Professor Ben Millers at Merseyside Tribology Centre before moved to London as a Research Fellow working at the Machining Research Centre at South Band University in 1997. I jointed Bradford as lecturer at end of 1998. I was appointed as senior lecturer in 2011.
CEng (Charted Engineer, Engineering Council UK, 564190)
MIMechE (Member of Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 80014418)
MIAENG (Member of the International Association of Engineers, 62323)
FHEA (Fellow of the Higher Education Academy)
Engineering Tribology (Contact Mechanics, Friction Heat Transfer, Tribo-Layer Formation/Effect)in Automotive/Manufacturing;
Modelling using CAE packages (ABAQUS, MSC-ADAMS, Solid-Edge/Work);
Machine Kinematics/Dynamics (Brake/Clutch, Cam, Planetary-Gears, Mechanisms);
Fuzzy Logic and its applications in Automotive/Manufacturing Engineering (Multi-Attribute-Decision-Making);
Current teaching is Mechanics of Machines and Mechatronics, Mechanisms for Design, Advanced Engineering Design,and Vehicle Drive-Train Analysis.
Current, and significant recent, funded projects
. IMechE Educational Award for the Postgraduate Scholarships,~£21,000 (2007-2010)
. NTR Ltd KTP Grant from DTI, (KTP1257), £99,044, (2006 – 2008) (co-investigator)
'A M Strickland Prize' award by the Engineering Manufacturing Division Board 1997, IMechE.
The KTP project (KTP1257, 2006-2008) is rated as OUTSTANDING by the KTP 'people' (MOMENTA/Technology Strategy Board).
Peer-Reviewer for the following international journals:
International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology,
Journal of Materials Processing Technology,
Machining Science and Technology,
Tribology Trans. Soc Tribologists & Lubrication Engineers,
International Journal of Thermal Science,
Journal of Numerical heat transfer,
Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Parts B, C, D, J and K.
Invited to give a lecture at Wuhan University of Technology China, 6-8 Sept. 2015
Invited to give a lecture at Dalian University of Technology China in 2012
Fellowships of Professional Institutions or equivalent
CEng (Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council UK) ;
MIMechE (Member of Institution of Mechanical Engineers);
MIAENG (Member of the International Association of Engineers);
FHEA (Fellow of the Higher Education Academy) .
International Conference Organisation
Programme committee member for the annual International Conference of Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management London, U.K., 2007 - present
Prizes, Medals, Awards
Obtained 'A M Strickland Prize' award by Engineering Manufacturing Division Board 1997, IMechE;
The KTP project (KTP1257, 2006-2008) is rated as OUTSTANDING by the KTP 'people' (MOMENTA/Technology Strategy Board)
Mr. Le Qiu,Jan.2012-2015 (main supervisor)
Mr. Eri Wirdianto, August 2008-(main supervisor)
Mr. JinHan Tang,July. 2012-2015 (co-supervisor)
1. Tang, Jinghan; Bryant, David; Qi, Hongsheng; Whiteside, Ben; Babenko, Max, Simplified 3D Finite Element Hot Spotting Modelling of a Pin-Mounted Vented Brake Disc: An Investigation of Hot Spotting Determinants, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering
2. A. LOIZOU, H.S. QI and A.J. DAY, Modelling and Simulation of Brake Pad Wear Using Finite Element Method, (EB2017-SVM-006) EuroBrake 2017, Dresden, Germany, 2-4 May 2017
3. Tang, Jinghan; Bryant, David; Qi, Hongsheng, Ventilated Disc Thermal Localisations: 2d Finite Element Simulation and Reduction Strategies, (EB2017-SVM-010) EuroBrake 2017, Dresden, Germany, 2-4 May 2017
4. Qi H.S., Alzaabi R.N., Wood A.S., Jani M., A Fuzzy Criticality Assessment System of Process Equipment for Optimized Maintenance Management, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing (IJCIM), Volume 28, Issue 1, 2015, DOI:10.1080/0951192X.2013.814160
5. FA Gdhaidh, K Hussain, HS Qi, Numerical Study of Conjugate Natural Convection from Discrete Heat Sources, Transactions on Engineering Technologies, 1-15, 2015, DOI 10.1007/978-94-017-9804-4_1, ISBN978-94-017-9803-7
6. L Qiu, HS Qi, AS Wood. 2D finite element modelling of heat transfer at the interface of the pad and disc in a friction brake system, EuroBrake 2015, Dresden, Germany, 4-6 May 2015
7. Tang, Jinghan; Bryant, David; Qi, Hongsheng, A numerical investigation of hot spotting origin of ventilated disc brakes (EB2015), EuroBrake 2015, Dresden Germany, 4-6 May 2015
8. F. A Gdhaidh, K. Hussain and H. S. Qi, Enhancement of Natural Convection Heat Transfer Within Closed Enclosure using Parallel Fins, "ICFMHTT 2015: International Conference on Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics", Mar 23-24, 2015, Istanbul, Turkey
9. F. A Gdhaidh, K. Hussain and H. S. Qi, Enhancement of Natural Convection Heat Transfer within Closed Enclosure Using Parallel Fins, "World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial and Mechatronics Engineering Vol:9, No:3, 2015
10. T. Z. Sui ，H. S. Qi, Q. Qi, L. Wang, J.W. Sun, Systematic Digitized Treatment of Engineering Line-Diagrams, 2014 International Conference on Applied Mathematics, Modelling and Simulation (ICAMMS2014), October 16-17, 2014, Xiamen, China
11. F. A Gdhaidh, K. Hussain and H. S. Qi, "Numerical Investigation of Conjugate Natural Convection Heat Transfer from Discrete Heat Sources in Rectangular Enclosure," the World Congress on Engineering (WCE), 2-7 July, 2014, London UK, Vol II, pp. 1304- 1309 (Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering 2014 Vol II, WCE 2014, July 2 - 4, 2014, London, U.K.) ISBN: 978-988-19253-5-0
12. F. A Gdhaidh, K. Hussain and H. S. Qi, Numerical Study of Conjugate Natural Convection Heat Transfer Using One Phase Liquid Cooling, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 65 (2014) 012012, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/65/1/012012
13. Jinghan Tang, David Bryant, Hong-Sheng Qi, Coupled CFD and FE Thermal Mechanical Simulation of Disc Brake, (EB2014-SA-019), EuroBrake 2014, Lille, France, 13-15 May 2014, EuroBrake 2014 Conference Proceedings,(USB Key) ISBN: 978-0-9572076-4-6