Professor John Sweeney
- Title: Professor of Polymer Mechanics
- Email: J.Sweeney@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: 5456
- Room No. Chesham C1.12
- Qualifications: BA Keele PhD CNAA CEng CSci
- Research Groups: Advanced Materials Engineering
On graduating with a BA (Hons) in Mathematics and Physics from the University of Keele in 1974, began working at the then British Ceramic Research Association on the mechanical properties of refractory ceramics. This work led on to an interest in the mechanics of solids and to the award of a PhD in 1981. I then took up a postdoctoral position at the University of California at Berkeley to model solid/liquid separation. This was followed by a further postdoctoral position at the University of Leeds in Prof I M Ward's Polymer Physics group, which was later to form part of the IRC in Polymer Science and Technology. I joined the then Department of Mechanical Engineering at Bradford in 1995 as lecturer, continuing to research within the IRC.
At Bradford I have been Principal Investigator on EPSRC funded projects in the areas of polymer constitutive equations, polymer nanocomposites and on surface interactions during polymer processing. Other awards include a European Commission funded project on polymer packaging and three Knowledge Transfer Partnerships. Additionally, there have been a number of commercial contracts with local and international companies.
My research interests are the mechanical behaviour of polymers, including large deformations, deformation processing, interfacial (friction and heat transfer) effects, and fracture. Much of the work involves mathematical modelling using the finite element method. I have developed expertise in incorporating material models into commercial finite element code via user-defined subroutines. Any polymer-oriented problems that would benefit from a modelling, experimental or combined approach are of interest. Most most recent work has covered shape memory polymers and surface interactions in polymer processing. I maintain interests that range from the fundamentals of polymer deformation to technology applied in industry.
I am co-author of two text books:
"An introduction to the mechanical behaviour of solid polymers" I M Ward and J Sweeney, Wiley, 2004.
"Mechanical behaviour of solid polymers" I M Ward and J Sweeney, Wiley, 2013.
These are recommended texts for polymer engineering courses at a number of institutions, for example MIT and the University of Illinois. To date their combined total number of Google Scholar citations is approximately 1,400.
To further develop work on frictional and thermal surface interactions, in both melt and solid phase polymer processing.
Research associated with fundamentals of polymer deformation to be continued.
Continue commercially funded work.
Current, and significant recent, funded projects
EPSRC EP/P02081X/1 Resilient Materials for Life (RM4L). Bradford PI. Start 04/2017
InnovateUK/Trakrap Ltd TS/P005225/1 Development of prototype automated stretch wrapping system for small heat sensitive products and aerosols. PI. Start 08/2017
EPSRC EP/L020572/1 Smart Manufacturing of Medical Devices for soft tissue fixation. Co-Investigator.
BASF - Modelling of continuous reactive gel flow for acrylamide copolymer production (2012-2016). Principal Investigator.
SABIC (2015-2016) Optimisation of manufacturing solutions for microneedle production. Co-Investigator.
Sinopec (2013-2016) Solid Phase Orientation Processing Research of Specific Polymers. Co-Investigator.
EPSRC - Thermal contact resistance modelling for polymer processing (April 2011 - March 2013). Principal Investigator.
1983 Alfred W Allen award of the Refractories Division, American Ceramic Society for best research publication of 1982.
2008 Best Partnership North East England, Knowledge Transfer Partnerships Awards.
2009 Composite Award from the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining for the paper "Performance enhancement of polymer nanocomposites via multiscale modelling of processing and properties", Plastics, Rubber and Composites, 2008, Vol 37, pp113.
Workpackage Leader and local Principal Investigator for European Commission Framework VI STREP programme 'APT-Pack', 2005-2008.
Member of International Organising Committee and Session chair for Plasticity 2010, St Kitts and Plasticity 2009, US Virgin Islands. Session chair at: ESMC 2009, the Seventh Euromech Solid Mechanics Conference, Lisbon; Plasticity 2007, Alyeska, Alaska; Plasticity 2006 Halifax, Nova Scotia; Plasticity 2003, Quebec City, Canada; Euromech 2002, Vienna; Plasticity 2000, Whistler, Canada. Plenary lectures at Plasticity 2000, Plasticity 2006 and Plasticity 2007.
- Ward IM and Sweeney J (2013): "Mechanical Properties of Solid Polymers", Wiley, Chichester ISBN: 978-1-144-3 1950-7.
- Ward IM and Sweeney J (2004): "An introduction to the mechanical properties of solid polymers", Wiley, Chichester ISBN: 0-471-49626-X.
- Sweeney J, Spencer PE, Vgenopoulos D, Babenko M and Boutenel F (2017): "Application of activated barrier hopping theory to viscoplastic modeling of glassy polymers" Mechanics of Time Dependent Materials, Springer.
- Teall O, Pilegis M, Sweeney J, Gough T and Thompson T (2017): "Development of high shrinkage polyethylene terephthalate (PET) shape memory polymer tendons for concrete crack closure" Smart Materials and Structures, IOPScience, 26 (4): 045006.
González Castro G, Fitt AD and Sweeney J (2016): "On the Validity of the Imbert-Fick Law: Mathematical Modelling of Eye Pressure Measurement" World Journal of Mechanics, Scientific Research, 6 (3): 35-51.
For more information see: http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=64902
- Sweeney J and Spencer PE (2015): "The use of a new viscous process in constitutive models of polymers" Key Engineering Materials, Scientific.Net, 651 812-817.
- Sweeney J, Bonner M and Ward IM (2014): "Modelling of loading, stress relaxation and stress recovery in a shape memory polymer" Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, Elsevier, 37 12-23.
- O'Connor CPJ, Martin PJ, Sweeney J, Menary G and Caton-Rose P (2013): "Simulation of the Plug-assisted Thermoforming of Polypropylene Using a Large Strain Thermally Coupled Constitutive Model" Journal of Materials Processing Technology , Elsevier, 213 (9): 1588-1600.
- Sweeney J, Caton-Rose P, Spencer PE, Pua H and O'Connor H (2012): "The large strain response of polypropylene in multiaxial stretching and stress relaxation" International Journal of Materials Forming, Springer, 6 (4): 519-525.
- Sweeney J, O'Connor CPJ, Spencer PE, Pua H and Caton-Rose H (2012): "PJ A material model for multiaxial stretching and stress relaxation of polypropylene under process conditions" Mechanics of Materials, Elsevier, 54 55-69.
- González Castro G, Spares R, Ugail H, Whiteside BR and Sweeney J (2011): "Towards the analytic characterization of micro and nano surface features using the biharmonic equation" Applied Mathematical Modelling, Elsevier, 36 1161-1172.
- Sweeney J, Naz S and Coates PD (2011): "Modeling the tensile behavior of Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene with a novel flow rule" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Wiley, 121 2936-2944.
- Olley P and Sweeney J (2010): "A multi-process Eyring model for large strain plastic deformation" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Wiley, 119 2246-2260.
- González Castro G, Spares R, Ugail H, Whiteside BR and Sweeney J (2010): "Surface profiling of micro-scale structures using partial differential equations" International Journal of Material Forming, Springer, 3 (1): 415-418.
- Naz S, Sweeney J and Coates PD (2010): "Analysis of the essential work of fracture method as applied to UHMWPE" Journal of Materials Science, Springer, 45 (2): 448-459.
- Sweeney J, Spares R and Woodhead MA (2009): "Constitutive Model for Large Multiaxial Deformations of Solid Polypropylene at High Temperature " Polymer Engineering and Science, Society of Plastics Engineers, 49 (10): 1902-1908.
- Sweeney J, Naz S and Coates PD (2009): "Viscoplastic Constitutive Modeling of Polymers—Flow Rules and the Plane Strain Response" Journal of Applied Polymer Science , Wiley, 111 (3): 1190-1198.
- Spencer PE, Spares R, Sweeney J and Coates PD (2008): "Modelling the large strain solid phase deformation behaviour of polymer nanoclay composites" Mechanics of Time-Dependent Materials, Springer, 12 (4): 313-327.
- Harkin-Jones E, Figiel L, Spencer PE, Abu_Zurayk R and Al-Shabib W (2008): "Performance enhancement of polymer nanocomposites via multiscale modelling of processing and properties" Plastics, Rubber and Composites Macromolecuar Engineering, Taylor & Francis, 37 113-123.
- Sweeney J, Spares R, Caton-Rose P and Coates PD (2007): "A unified model of necking and shearbanding in amorphous and semicrystalline polymers" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Wiley, 106 1095-1105.
- Sweeney J, Caton-Rose P and Coates PD (2005): "Modeling the large strain constitutive behaviour of polycarbonate under isothermal and anisothermal conditions" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Wiley, 96 (6): 2105-2116.
- Unwin AP, Duckett RA, Ward IM, Collins TLD and Sweeney J (2002): "Suppression of necking in polyethylene" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Wiley, 86 (12): 3135-3147.
- Read DJ, Teixeira PIC, Duckett RA, Sweeney J and McLeish TCB (2002): "Theoretical and finite-element investigation of the mechanical response of spinodal structures" European Physics Journal E, Springer, 8 (1): 15-31.
- Sweeney J, Collins TDL, Coates PD, Duckett RA and Ward IM (2002): "Application of a large deformation viscoelastic model to the unstable necking of polyethylene" International Journal of Plasticity, Elsevier, 18 (3): 399-414.
- Sweeney J, Caton-Rose P and Coates PD (2002): "The modelling of large deformations of pre-oriented polyethylene" Polymer, Elsevier, 43 (3): 899-907.
- Caton-Rose P, Sweeney J and Coates PD (2000): "Finite element simulation of geogrid manufacture using a large deformation elastic formulation" Plastics, Rubber and Composites Processing and Applications, Taylor & Francis, 29 (1): 51-58.
- Taraiya AK, Nugent M, Sweeney J, Coates PD and Ward PD (2000): "Development of a continuous die drawing production process for engineered polymer cores for wire ropes" Plastics, Rubber and Composites Processing and Applications, Taylor & Francis, 29 (1): 46-50.
- Sweeney J, Shirataki H, Unwin AP and Ward IM (1999): "Application of a necking criterion to PET fibres in tension" Journal of Applied Polymer Science , Wiley, 74 (14): 3331-3341.
- Read DJ, Duckett RA, Sweeney J and McLeish TCB (1999): "The chevron folding instability in thermoplastic elastomers and other layered materials" Journal of Physics D, IOPScience, 32 (16): 2087-2099.
- Sweeney J (1999): "A comparison of three polymer network models in current use" Computational and Theoretical Polymer Science, Elsevier, 9 (1): 27-33.
- Sweeney J, Collins TLD, Coates PD and Duckett RA (1999): "High temperature large strain viscoelastic behaviour of polypropylene modelled using an inhomogeneously strained network" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Wiley, 72 (4): 563-575.
- Sweeney J, Collins TLD, Coates PD and Ward IM (1997): "Application of an elastic model to the large deformation, high temperature stretching of polypropylene" Polymer, Elsevier, 38 (24): 5991-5999.
- Sweeney J, Collins TLD, Coates PD, Unwin AP and Ward IM (1997): "Large deformations of semicrystalline polymers modelled using the necking network concept" ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 119 (3): 228-232.
- Sweeney J and Ward IM (1996): "A constitutive law for large deformations of polymers at high temperatures" Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Elsevier, 44 (7): 1033-1049.
- Sweeney J and Ward IM (1995): "The modeling of multiaxial necking in polypropylene using a sliplink-crosslink theory" Journal of Rheology, AIP Publishing, 39 (5 ): 861-872.
- Sweeney J and Ward IM (1995): "Rate dependent and network phenomena in the multiaxial drawing of PVC" Polymer, Elsevier, 36 (2): 299-308.
- Kotani T, Sweeney J and Ward IM (1994): "The measurement of transverse mechanical properties of polymer fibres" Journal of Materials Science, Springer, 29 (21): 5551-5558.
- Sweeney J, Brew B, Duckett RA and Ward IM (1993): "Mechanical anisotropy and inhomogeneity of an aromatic liquid crystal polyester" Polymer, Elsevier, 33 (23): 4901-4908.
- Sweeney J and Ward IM (1993): "Measurement and modelling of the multiaxial drawing of PVC" Transactions of the Institution of Chemical Engineers Part A, IChemE, 71 232-238.
- Sweeney J, Brew B, Duckett RA and Ward IM (1992): "Measurement and analysis of the fracture of a liquid crystal polymer" Journal of Materials Science, Springer, 27 (14): 3969-3976 .
- Sweeney J (1991): "The strain energy released when a crack grows normally from its tip" International Journal of Fracture, Springer, 47 (1): 69-79.
- Sweeney J and Ward IM (1990): "A unified model of stress relaxation and creep applied to oriented polyethylene" Journal of Materials Science, Springer, 25 (1): 697-705.
- Sweeney J, Duckett RA and Ward IM (1988): "The fracture behaviour of oriented polyethylene at high pressures" Proceedings of the Royal Society London Series A, The Royal Society, London, 420 53-80.
- Sweeney J (1988): "Revised values of finite width correction factors for SEN testing of orthotropic materials" Journal of Strain Analysis, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 23 (4): 227-228.
- Sweeney J (1988): "The stress intensity for an edge crack in a semi-infinite orthotropic body" International Journal of Fracture, Springer, 37 (3): 233-241.
- Sweeney J, Duckett RA and Ward IM (1986): "The fracture toughness of a tough polyethylene using tension testing in a high pressure environment" Journal of Materials Science Letters, Springer, 5 (11): 1109-1110 .
- Sweeney J (1986): "Finite width correction factors for SEN testing of orthotropic materials in opening mode" Journal of Strain Analysis, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 21 (2): 99-107.
- Sweeney J, Duckett RA and Ward IM (1985): "The fracture behaviour of uPVC at both ambient and high hydrostatic pressure" Journal of Materials Science, Springer, 20 (10): 3705-3715.
- Sweeney J, Duckett RA and Ward IM (1985): "Plastic zone corrections in relation to fracture measurements in torsion on tough polyethylenes" Journal of Materials Science Letters, Springer, 4 (2): 217-220.
- Sweeney J and Sastry KVS (1985): "The effect of shear stress on a pendular liquid ring" Powder Technology, Elsevier, 41 (1): 69-75.
- Sweeney J (1985): "Analysis of a proposed method for toughness measurements using torsion testing" Journal of Strain Analysis, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 20 (1): 1-5.
- Sweeney J and Cross M (1982): "Analysing the stress response of commercial refractory structures in service at high temperatures. II: A thermal stress model for refractory structures" Transactions and Journal of the British Ceramic Society, British Ceramic Society, 81 47-52.
- Sweeney J and Cross M (1982): "Analysing the stress response of commercial refractory structures in service at high temperatures. I: A simple model for viscoelastic stress response" Transactions and Journal of the British Ceramic Society , British Ceramic Society, 81 25-28.
Spencer PE and Sweeney J (2009): "Modelling of Polymer Clay Nanocomposites for a Multiscale Approach", Nano- and micromechanics of polymer blends and composites, J Karger-Kocsis and S Fakirov (eds.), Hanser, Munich ISBN: 978-3-446-41323-8, pp. 545-578.
For more information see: https://arxiv.org/abs/0809.0888
- Sweeney J, Coates PD and Ward IM (2000): "Mathematical modelling ", Solid phase processing of polymers, I M Ward, PD Coates and M Dumoulin (eds.), Hanser, Munich ISBN: 3-446-19622-6, pp. 368-402.