Professor Tim Gough
- Title: Professor in Fluid Mechanics
- Email: T.Gough@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: 4536
- Room No. Richmond WG28
- Qualifications: BEng (Hons) Surrey PhD Surrey PGC(HEP) Bradford CEng MIMechE FHEA
- Additional Role: Head of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering Programmes
- Additional Role: Manager Materials Characterisation Laboratories
- Additional Role: Senior Management Team Engineering
- Research Groups: Centre for Polymer Micro and Nano Technology
- Research Groups: Centre for Pharmaceutical Engineering Science
Professor Tim Gough was a student at the University of Surrey where he was awarded a BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering in 1991 and a PhD on the development of turbulent boundary layers and wakes in 1996.
In 1997 he moved to the University of Bradford as a postdoctoral research engineer investigating hydrocyclones for separations of yeast from beer and cider and oil/water. After some time in industry as a contracting engineer developing cyclones for the offshore oil industry he returned to Bradford to join the IRC in Polymer Engineering in 2000 working with many industrial groups and universities to develop novel materials and processes for a wide range of applications.
Research interests include: polymeric materials and nanocomposites, reactive extrusion, pharmaceutical formulations, hydrogels, crystallisation, fluid mechanics and rheology, polymeric battery electrolytes and the applications of computer-based instrumentation to a broad range of scientific problems.
He was appointed as a lecturer in 2006, senior lecturer in 2011, reader in 2015 and professor in 2017. He also manages the IRC materials characterisation laboratories.
He is currently the Head of Department for Mechanical and Automotive Engineering.
MAE6013-B Advanced Fluid Mechanics with Aerodynamics - Module co-ordinator
MAE5004-A Fluid Mechanics 2 - Module co-ordinator
MAE5004-A Fluid Mechanics 2 (labs)
MAE4008-B Skills for Engineers
ENG6001-C Final Year Project
ENG7002-E MSc Project
Current, and significant recent, funded projects
EP/P005403/1 Flow induced crystallisation in polymers: from molecules to processing
EP/P510178/1 GraNet - Graphene / Polypropylene Composite Nets for Filtration
EP/J003360/1 A Novel Continuous Method for Co-crystal Formation
EP/K004204/1 GLOBAL - Promoting research partnerships in Advanced Materials for Healthcare
Baroness Lockwood Award for Distinguished Teaching (BLADT) - University of Bradford 2010
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Collaborating with CalTech; Instituto de Estructura de la Materia, Madrid; Tomas Bata University, Zlin, Czech Republic; and frequent user of large scale facilities at Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL) and European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF), Grenoble, France as well as NSLS at Brookhaven National Laboratory in the US.
Chartered Engineer (CEng) and Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (MIMechE). Also member of the Society of Rheology and the British Society of Rheology.
Current PhD students:
Abrahem Benhadia - 'Study of the Mechanical, Thermal and Rheological Properties of Ethyl Cellulose as a Film Coating Polymer'
with Ian Grimsey and Mo Isreb
Abubaker Al-Fakroun - 'Waxy Crude Oils' with Hadj Benkreira
Aniket Sabnis - Hot Melt Extrusion for Parmaceutical Formulations
with Anant Paradkar and Adrian Kelly
Bana Shriky - Controlled Release Injectable Hydrogel Formulations
with Adrian Kelly and Mo Isreb
Abdulrahman Mkia - Shear Mediated Crystallisation for Pharmaceutical Formulations
with Mo Isreb
Vasiliki Papadopoulou - Polymer Gel Electrolytes for Lithium Ion Batteries
with Adrian Kelly
Nikos Kassos - Biomedical polymers
with Adrian Kelly
- Wood C., Alwati A., Halsey S.A., Gough T. and Brown E.C. (2016): "Near infra red spectroscopy as a multivariate process analytical tool for predicting pharmaceutical co-crystal concentration." Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis (accepted).
- Kelly A.L., Halsey S.A., Bottom R.A., Korde S. and Gough T. (2015): "A novel transflectance near infrared spectroscopy technique for monitoring hot melt extrusion" International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 496 (1): 117-123.
- Kulkarni C., Wood C., Kelly A.L., Gough T. and Paradkar A. (2015): "Stoichiometric control of co-crystal formation by solvent free continuous co-crystallization (SFCC)" Crystal Growth & Design, 15 (12): 5648-5651.
- Karandikar H., Ambardekar R., Kelly A.L., Gough T. and Paradkar A. (2015): "Systematic identification of thermal degradation products of HPMCP during hot melt extrusion process" International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 486 (1): 252-258.
- Vera-Sorroche J., Kelly A.L., Brown E.C., Gough T. and Abeykoon C. (2014): "The effect of melt viscosity on thermal efficiency for single screw extrusion of HDPE" Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 92 (11): 2404-2412.
- Heeley E.L., Gough T., Hughes D.J., Bras W. and Rieger J. (2013): "Effect of processing parameters on the morphology development during extrusion of polyethylene tape: An in-line small-angle X-ray scattering (SAXS) study" Polymer, 54 (24): 6580-6588.
- Ma Z., Fernandez-Ballester L., Cavallo D., Gough T. and Peters G.W. (2013): "High-stress shear-induced crystallization in isotactic polypropylene and propylene/ethylene random copolymers" Macromolecules, 46 (7): 2671-2680.
- Grant C.A., Al-Fouzan A., Gough T., Twigg P.C. and Coates P.D. (2013): "Nano-scale temperature dependent visco-elastic properties of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) using atomic force microscope (AFM)" Micron, 44 174-178.
- Kulkarni C., Kendrick J., Kelly A.L., Gough T. and Paradkar A. (2013): "Polymorphic transformation of artemisinin by high temperature extrusion" CrystEngComm, 15 (32): 6297-6300.
- Kulkarni C., Kelly A.L., Kendrick J., Gough T. and Paradkar A. (2013): "Mechanism for polymorphic transformation of artemisinin during high temperature extrusion" Crystal Growth & Design, 13 (12): 5157-5161.
- Kelly A.L., Gough T., Dhumal R.S., Halsey S.A. and Paradkar A. (2012): "Monitoring ibuprofen–nicotinamide cocrystal formation during solvent free continuous cocrystallization (SFCC) using near infrared spectroscopy as a PAT tool" International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 426 (1): 15-20.
- Chamberlain P., Drewello R., Korn L., Bauer W. and Gough T. (2011): "Construction of the Khoja Zaynuddin Mosque: Use of animal glue modified with urine" Archaeometry, 53 (4): 830-841.
- Tenchev R., Gough T., Harlen O.G., Jimack P.K. and Klein D.H. (2011): "Three dimensional finite element analysis of the flow of polymer melts" Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 166 (5): 307-320.
- Musil J., Zatloukal M., Gough T. and Martyn M.T. (2011): "Experimental investigation of die drool and slip-stick phenomena during hdpe polymer melt extrusion" Novel Trends In Rheology IV.
- Musil J., Zatloukal M., Gough T. and Martyn M.T. (2011): "Investigation of vortex development during polymer melt flows by flow birefringence" Novel Trends In Rheology IV.
- Soon C.F., Youseffi M., Gough T., Blagden N. and Denyer M.C. (2011): "Rheological characterization and in-situ investigation of the time-dependent cholesteric based lyotropic liquid crystals" Materials Science and Engineering: C, 31 (7): 1389-1397.
- Clarke N., De Luca E., Buxton G., Hutchings L.R. and Gough T. (2010): "Chain Deformation in Entangled Polymer Melts at Re-entrant Corners" Macromolecules, 43 (3): 1537-1542.
- Burton E.L., Woodhead M., Coates P.D. and Gough T. (2010): "Reactive grafting of glycidyl methacrylate onto polypropylene" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 117 (5): 2707-2714.
- McLeish T.C., Clarke N., Hutchings L.R., Graham R.S. and Gough T. (2009): "Neutron flow-mapping: Multiscale modelling opens a new experimental window" Soft Matter, 5 (22): 4426-4432.
- Kelly A.L., Gough T., Whiteside B.R. and Coates P.D. (2009): "High shear strain rate rheometry of polymer melts" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 114 (2): 864-873.
- Graham R.S., Bent J., Clarke N., Richards R.W and Gough T. (2009): "The long-chain dynamics in a model homopolymer blend under strong flow: Small-angle neutron scattering and theory" Soft Matter, 5 (12): 2383-2389.
- Fernandez-Ballester L., Gough T., Meneau F., Balta-Calleja F.J. and Kornfield J.A. (2008): "Simultaneous birefringence, small-and wide-angle X-ray scattering to detect precursors and characterize morphology development during flow-induced crystallization of polymers" Journal of synchrotron radiation, 15 (2): 185-190.
- Gough T., Spares R., Kelly A.L., Brook S.M. and Coates P.D. (2008): "Three-dimensional characterisation of full field stress and velocity fields for polyethylene melt through abrupt contraction" Plastics, Rubber and Composites, 37 (2-4): 158-165.
- Howse J.R., Jones R.A., Ryan A.J., Gough T. and Golestanian R. (2007): "Self-motile colloidal particles: from directed propulsion to random walk" Physical review letters, 99 (4): 048102.
- Bent J., Hutchings L.R., Richards R.W., Gough T. and McLeish T.C. (2003): "Neutron-mapping polymer flow: scattering, flow visualization, and molecular theory" Science, 301 (5640): 1691-1695.