Professor Yakun Guo
- Title: 50th Anniversary Chair - Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Email: Y.Guo16@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: 3689
- Room No. Chesham B2.10
- Qualifications: BSc (Honours, First Class), Sichuan University; MSc, Sichuan University; PhD, Sichuan University
Yakun studied Hydraulic Engineering at Sichuan University, China, obtaining a BEng (first class Honours) in Hydrology and Water Resources (1983) and PhD in Hydraulics (1989). Yakun was an Associate Professor of Sichuan University prior to coming to UK. Before taking the current post at Bradford, Yakun was a Postdoctoral Associate at Dundee University and a Reader at Aberdeen University. He has twenty years experience in environmental hydraulics, numerical simulation of turbulent flows, flow-structure-interaction, marine renewable energy and coastal and estuary hydrodynamics and sediment transport. His research work is funded by the EPSRC, KTP, ETP (Energy Technology Partnership), NSFC (China). He has published over 160 papers in peer-reviewed journals (92) and international conferences, and received the 2006 ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering Best Technical Note Award. He has been a member of the EPSRC Peer Review College since 2006.
2006 ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering Best Technical Note Award
Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College since 2006.
Some recent journal publications
1. Wang, WQ, Zhang, LX, Yan, Y and Guo, YK, 2012. Fluid-induced vibrations of thi1n elastic plate for different inflow Reynolds numbers, Journal of Beijing University of Technology, 38, 55-59.
2. Guo, YK*, Wu, XG, Pan, CH and Zhang, J, 2012. Numerical Simulation of the Tidal Flow and Suspended Sediment Transport in the Qiantang Estuary, ASCE Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 138: 192-203.
3. Wu, L, Zhang LX and Guo, YK. 2012. A novel approach for evaluation of stress intensity factors using X-FEM, Advanced Materials Research, 446, 816-823.
4. Zeng, Y, Zhang, LX, Guo, YK and Dong, H. 2012 Hydraulic decoupling and nonlinear hydro turbine model with sharing common conduit, Proceedings of the Chinese Society of Electrical Engineering, 32, 103-108.
5. Zeng, Y, Zhang, LX, Qian, J, Guo, YK and Xu, TM. 2012. Additional mechanical torque coefficient of hydro turbine and governor system, Advanced Materials Research, 443, 954-961.
6. Yang, LP, Guo, YK*, et al. 2012. Study of scour around submarine pipeline with a rubber plate or rigid spoiler in wave conditions. ASCE Journal of Waterway, Port, Ocean and Coast Engineering, 138:484-490.
7. Yang, LP, Shi, B and Guo, YK., 2012. Calculation and experiment on scour depth for submarine pipeline with a spoiler, Ocean Engineering, 55:191-198.
8. Zeng, Y, Guo, YK*, Zhang, LX, Xu, TM and Dong, H. 2012. Nonlinear hydro turbine model having a surge tank. Mathematical and Computer Modelling of Dynamical Systems, 19(1): 12-28.
9. Wu, L, Guo, YK and Zhang LX. 2012. X-FEM applied to three-dimensional curvilinear crack front. Advanced Materials Research, 472-475, 1418-1425.
10. Wu, L, Zhang LX and Guo, YK. 2012. Extended finite element method for computation of mixed-mode stress intensity factors in three dimensions. Procedia Engineering, 31, 373-380.
11. Zeng, Y, Zhang, LX, Xu, TM and Guo, YK. 2012. Analysis of torque coefficients of adjuster of the hydro turbine. Technology of Large Hydro Turbines, 18(2), 120-126.
12. Kuang, CP, Liu, X, Gu, J, Guo, YK. et. al. 2013. Numerical Prediction of Medium-Term Tidal Flat Evolution in the Yangtze Estuary: Impacts of the Three Gorges Project. Continental Shelf Research, 52: 12-26.
13. Zhang ZY, Shi, B, Guo, YK and Yang, JP, 2013, Numerical investigation on critical length of impermeable plate below underwater pipeline under steady current. Science China-Technological Sciences, 56(5): 1232-1240.
14. Wang, WQ, Zhang, LX, Yan, Y and Guo, YK. 2013. Combined multi-predict-correct iterative method for interaction between pulsatile flow and large deformation structure. Coupled System Mechanics, an International Journal, 1(4):
15. Zhang, JS, Zheng, JH, Zhang, C, Jeng, DS and Guo, YK. 2013. Numerical study on the interaction between waves and twin pipelines in sandy seabed. Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue No. 65. 428-433.
16. Jing, HF, Li, C, Guo, YK, Zhang, LX, Zhu, L, Li, YT, 2013. Modelling of sediment transport and bed deformation in rivers with continuous bends. Journal of Hydrology, 499, 224-235.
17. Huang, JF, Zhang, LX and Guo, YK. 2013. Large eddy simulation of turbulent flow around moving guide vane of adjusting hydro turbine. Journal of Drainage and Irrigation Machinery Engineering, 31:702-707 (in Chinese).
18. Zeng, Y, Zhang, LX, Guo, YK., Qian, J and Zhang, C. 2014. The Generalized Hamiltonian model for the shafting transient analysis of the hydro turbine generating sets. Nonlinear Dynamics, 76, 1921-1933.
19. Jing, HF, Li, C, and Guo, YK. 2014. Numerical modelling of the flow from the Daliushu to the Shapotou of the Yellow River. Water Science and Engineering, 7(2), 194-207.
20. Yang, LP, Shi, B, Guo, YK*, Zhang, LX, Zhang, JS and Han Y. 2014. Scour protection of submarine pipelines using rubber plates underneath the pipes. Ocean Engineering, 84, 176-182.
21. Guo, YK. 2014. Numerical simulation of the spreading of aerated and nonaerated turbulent water jet in a tank of finite water depth. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (ASCE), 140(8) DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0000903.
22. Zeng, Y, Zhang, LX, Qian, J and Guo, YK. 2014. Fifth Order Generator Hamiltonian Model Under Local Multi-machine Condition of a Power Station. Proceedings of the Chinese Society of Electrical Engineering, 34(3), 415-422.
23. Guo, YK, Zhang, ZY and Shi, B. 2014. Numerical simulation of gravity current descending a slope into a linearly stratified environment. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (ASCE), 140(12) DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0000936.
24. Zeng, Y, Zhang, LX, Qian, J and Guo, YK. 2014. Control design method of Hamiltonian structure modified and its application. Electric Machines and Control, 18(3), 93-100.
25. Zhang, JS, Zheng, JH, Jeng, DS and Guo, YK. 2015. Numerical simulation of a solitary wave propagation over a steady current. ASCE Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering. 141(3).
26. Zhang, SX, Guo, YK and Wang, ZW. 2015. Correlation between flood frequency and geomorphologic complexity of rivers network - A case study of Hangzhou China. Journal of Hydrology, 527, 113-118.
27. Zeng, Y.; Zhang, LX; Guo, YK. and Qian, J. 2015. Hamiltonian Stabilization Additional L-2 Adaptive Control and Its Application to Hydro Turbine Generating Sets. International Journal of Control Automation and Systems. 13(4), 867-876.
28. C.C. Liao, Z. Lin, Y.K Guo, D.-S. Jeng, 2015. Coupling model for waves propagating over a porous seabed. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Letters, 5, 85-88
29. Sui, TT, Zhang, C, Guo, YK, Zheng, J, Jeng, DS, Zhang, JS, and Zhang, W. 2016. Three-dimensional numerical model for wave-induced seabed response around mono-pile. Ships and Offshore Structures, 11(6): 667-678
30. Guo, Y.K. 2016. Flow in open channel with complex solid boundary. ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 142(2); 04015053. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0001085
31. Lin, ZB, Guo, YK., Jeng, DS, Liao, CC and Rey, N. 2016. An integrated numerical model for wave-soil-pipeline interactions. Coastal Engineering, 108:25-35
32. Qian, J, Zeng, Y, Guo, YK and Zhang LX. 2016. Reconstruction of the complete characteristics of the hydro turbine based on inner energy loss. Nonlinear Dynamics, 86: 963-974.
33. Zhang, J, Shi, B, Guo, YK, Xu, WL and Yang, KJ. 2016. Scour Development Around Submarine Pipelines due to Current Based on the Maximum Entropy Theory, Journal of Ocean University of China (Oceanic and Coastal Sea Research), 15: 841-846.
34. Itugha, O.D., Chen, D.Y. and Guo, Y.K., 2016. Pollutant Advective Spreading in Beach Sand Exposed to High-Energy Tides, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 181: 70-82
35. Zhang, Z., Guo, Y.K., Shi, B., Chen, D.Y. 2016. Improving the prediction of scour around submarine pipelines, ICE Maritime Engineering, 169(4): 163-173.
36. Lin, Z., Pokrajac, D., Guo, Y.K., Jeng, D.-S., Tang, T., Rey, N., Zheng, J., Zhang, J. 2017. Investigation of nonlinear wave-induced seabed response around mono-pile foundation. Coastal Engineering, 121: 197-211
37. Sui, T., Zheng, J., Zhang, C., Jeng, D.-S., Zhang, J., Guo, Y.K., He, R.. 2017. Consolidation of unsaturated seabed around an inserted pile foundation and its effects on the wave-induced momentary liquefaction. Ocean Engineering, in press