Film and Media
We have a successful track record in providing undergraduate and postgraduate courses in new media technologies, media production, photography, film and media studies. Our courses produce prize winning students and utilise the up-to-date knowledge of the School's teaching and research staff and our strong links to external bodies.
The courses are taught as part of our unique partnership with the National Media Museum (external link), which boasts world-class resources, festivals and events. We also work in partnership with Creative Skillset (external link), which ensures our courses stay relevant to industry and to the BBC (external link), which means our students get regular opportunities to work on 'live' briefs and compete for BBC placements.
At a Glance
- We are in the top 13 universities in the UK for Film & Media Studies*
- All of our Film and Media courses develop your experience and understanding of the technologies that are creating the new generation of digital media.
- Our courses are linked to the activities of the National Media Museum (external link) and Bradford as the first 'UNESCO City of Film' (external link).
- You will study technical fundamentals, the integrated use of major current software packages, the conventions of key forms of digital media production, and the social and cultural contexts within which media products are distributed.
- Significant and successful professionals working in the media are involved in course design and give regular lectures, tutorials and Masterclasses.
- Students have access to the research work of the school and lectures, tutorials and masterclasses by film and media academics, writers and producers.
- If you wish, you may take the opportunity to spend a period of up to 12 months of study abroad in America, Australia or Europe or take a 'year out' for an industry placement year in appropriate employment.
- Our digital arts and media production facilities are state-of-the-art and include equipment for still and moving image creation, manipulation and output.
- Students undertake professional-style production projects that replicate the creative industrial experience with live briefs from Industry.
- Students have access to a range of state-of-the-art broadcast television production and post production facilities including a full HD outside broadcasting truck and television studio.
- We are home to the Digital Media Working Academy; the Academy works to create additional opportunities for our students, as we continually aim to build students experience, CVs and portfolios throughout their years with us. The Academy employs current students and occasionally recent graduates to work on live web, television, film, photographic, animation and interactive projects.