Professor Ashraf Ashour
- Title: Professor of Structural Engineering
- Email: A.F.Ashour@Bradford.ac.uk
- Extension: +44 1274233870
- Room No. Chesham C1.13
- Qualifications: PhD in Structural Engineering, Cambridge University (1994), MSc in Structural Engineering, Mansoura University, Egypt (1985), BSc(Hons) in Civil Engineering, Mansoura University, Egypt (1985).
- Additional Role: Director of Research for the School of Engineering
- Research Groups: Environmental and Infrastructure Engineering
- Research Groups: Bradford Centre for Sustainable Environments
Ashraf is a Professor of Structural Engineering at the University of Bradford. His current research interests lie in the development of new structural materials and techniques suitable for retrofit to extend the life of concrete and masonry structures and the use of new materials to extend the life of structures. These include externally bonded fibre reinforced polymer laminates, near surface reinforcement and wire rope unit system. His research expertise also covers the use of fibre reinforced polymer bars as internal reinforcement for concrete structures, the use of recycled aggregate and cementless mortars. He has authored and co-authored more than 160 journal and conference papers. His publication citation indices in Scopus, Thomson Reuters and Google Scholar in August 2017 are:
Scopus: 92 Documents; Citations: 1257; h-index: 20.
Thomson Reuters: 83 Documents; Citations: 616; h-index: 17.
Google Scholar: 133 Documents; Citations: 2119; h-index: 23; i10-index: 40.
Prof. Ashour is the Editor-in-Chief of the Structures and Buildings Journal of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), a Fellow of the Institution of Structural Engineers (FIStructE) and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and many other committees. He is also a member of many other journal and conference editorial boards. Professor Ashour was the Head of the Civil Engineering at the University of Bradford from 2007-2012. He externally examined many PhD students in various UK universities and overseas. He was the external examiner for 3 undergraduate and one MSc courses in UK Universities.
Current, and significant recent, funded projects
1. Yorkshire Innovation Fund (RDP) “Cost effective new generation super-plasticisers for concrete/mortar manufacturing”, with Eye-Dale Limited, Jan. 2015-June 2015, £30k.
2. Yorkshire Innovation Fund (SIP) “Cost effective new generation super-plasticisers for concrete/mortar manufacturing”, with Eye-Dale Limited, Sept. 2014-Nov. 2014, £10k.
3. EU FP7 “Improved shear connection rules for composite beams”, Bradford share: £500,000, Co-investigator, (PI: Prof. Dennis Lam), 2012-2015.
Fellow of the Higher Education Academt (FHEA)
Fellow of the Institution of Structural Engineers (FIStructE)
- Editor-in-Chief for the Structures and Buildings Journal of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), 2014-2017.
- Member of the Editorial Board of International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials Journal, Springer, since 2007.
Reviewer for EPSRC, UK;
- Reviewers for enabling fund (ICE), UK;
- Reviewer for M-ERA.NET funded network and VINNOVA, Germany;
- Reviewer for Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems;
- Reviewer for the European Science Foundation, FCT, Portugal.
- Member of the FCT international panel for the evaluation process of the 2014 and 2015 FCT Investigator Call - Portugal.
Fellowships of Professional Institutions or equivalent
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Fellow of the Institution of Structural Engineers (FIStructE)
International Plenary Lectures, Conference Keynote
Editor-in-Chief: Structures and Buildings Journal (ICE)
Membership of Research Council Peer Review College
Member of the EPSRC college
1. Dr Ilker Fatih Kara, University of Nigde, Turkey, "FRP bridge decks," Sept. 2014-August 2015.
2. Dr. Mehmet Koroglu Alpaslan, Necmettin Erbakan University, Turkey, "FRP bridge decks", July 2014-June 2015.
3. Dr Nor Azizi Safiee, University of Putra Malaysia, "Structural Behaviour of Interlocking Mortarless Block Wall System", March 2014- Feb. 2016.
4. Dr A Badr, Nazarbayev University, Republic of Kazakhstan, "Freeze-thaw of concrete" June-Dec. 2013.
5. Dr Ali Köken, Selcuk University, Turkey, "Ductility of reinforced concrete columns", July-Sept. 2013.
6. Dr. Mehmet Koroglu Alpaslan, Necmettin Erbakan University, Turkey, "Ductility of reinforced concrete columns", July-Sept. 2013.
7. Prof. Salem Alsanusi, Benghazi University, Libya, "Rheology of self- compacting concrete", Dec. 2012-March. 2013.
8. Mr Peter Dixon (ASD Westok), the Royal Academy of Engineering Teaching Fellow, 2011-2012.
9. Dr Ilker Fatih Kara, University of Nigde, Turkey, "Concrete structures reinforced with FRP reinforcement," March 2011-January 2012.
10. Dr K. H. Yang, Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Mokpo National University, Mokpo, Jeonnam, South Korea, "Reinforced concrete deep beams & use of wire ropes to strengthen concrete structures," 2006-2007.
11. Dr M. Al-Qedra, The Islamic University of Gaza, "Neural Network prediction of concrete structures," 2002.
12. Dr A H Salem, Mansoura University, Egypt, "Fibre reinforced concrete structures," 2001.
13. Prof. Qiao Huang, Vice President of the Communications College, Herbin University, China, "Reinforced concrete structures," 1998-1999.
14. S. Suleiman "Behaviour of saturated soils reinforced with fibres," PhD, 2016.
15. M. Mahroug "Behaviour of continuous concrete slabs reinforced with FRP bars," PhD, 2013.
16. I. Ganaw "Rheology of grout for preplaced aggregate concrete," PhD, 2012.
17. M. Habeeb "Flexural Behaviour of continuously supported FRP reinforced concrete beams," PhD, 2012.
18. L. Absora "Steel reinforcement corrosion in concrete structures," PhD, 2010.
19. M. Family "Behaviour of non-rectangular concrete beams reinforced with non-metallic FRP rebars," MPhil, 2005.
20. Y. Chen "Repair and strengthening of masonry arch bridges," PhD, 2004.
21. S. ElRefaie "Strengthening of reinforced concrete continuous beams," PhD, 2002.
22. M. G. Sahab "Optimum design of reinforced concrete flat slabs," PhD, 2002.
23. G. Rishi "Reinforced concrete continuous deep beams with openings" MPhil, 1998.
1. Musab AlHawat "Steel reinforcement corrosion in concrete structures" PhD, 2016.
2. Othman Shalookh "Fibre reinforced concrete continuous deep beams", PhD, 2015.
3. Amal El-Khoja "Sustainable structural concrete", PhD, 2015.
4. Najia Saleh "Bonding and laps of FRP reinforcing bars", PhD, 2014.
5. Almahdi Araba "Hybrid steel/composite reinforced concrete continuous beams", PhD, 2014.
6. Jamila Abdalhmid "Shrinkage of self compacting concrete", PhD, 2013.
7. A. H. A. Q. Al Ajami "Punching shear in FRP flat slabs", PhD, 2013.
8. M. Khatab "Shear of self-compacting concrete continuous deep beams," PhD, 2013.
9. N. Rehman "Demountable shear connectors," PhD, 2013.
10. M. Mahgub "Self-compacting concrete composite columns," PhD, 2012.
1. I. F. Kara, A. F. Ashour and C. Dundar "Analysis of R/C frames considering cracking effect and plastic hinge formation" Structural Engineering and Mechanics Journal, 63(5), 2017.
2. D. Lam, X. Dai, A. F. Ashour and N. Rehman "Recent research on composite beams with demountable shear connectors", Journal of Steel Construction, Vol. 10(2), 2017, pp. 1-10.
3. S. J. Kwon, K. H. Yang, Y. H. Hwang and A. F. Ashour "Shear friction strength of monolithic concrete interfaces" Magazine of Concrete Research (ICE), 2017, Vol. 69, No. 5, pp. 230-240.
4. M. Khatab, A. F. Ashour, D. Lam and T. Sheehan "Tests of Self-compacting concrete continuous deep beams", Engineering Structures Journal, 2017, 131, pp. 264-274.
5. Safiee, N. A. and A. F. Ashour, "Prediction of punching shear capacity of RC flat slabs using artificial neural network", Asian Journal of Civil Engineering, 18(2), 2017, pp. 285-309.
6. M. Mahgub, A. F. Ashour, D. Lam and X. Dai "Axial compressive behaviour of self-compacting concrete filled elliptical tube columns", Thin-Walled Structures Journal, 2017, 111, pp. 27-34.
7. F. Bencardino, A. Condello and A. F. Ashour "Single-lap shear bond tests on Steel Reinforced Geopolymeric Matrix-concrete joints", Composites Part B: Engineering, 2017, 110, pp. 62-71.
8. S. B. Keskin, O. K. Keskin, O. Anil, M. Sahmaran, A. Alyousif, M. Lachemi, L. Amleh, A. F. Ashour, "Self-healing capability of large-scale engineered cementitious composites beams", Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol. 101, 2016, pp. 1-13.
9. E. Golafshani and A. F. Ashour "A feasibility study of BBP for predicting shear capacity of FRP reinforced concrete beams without stirrups" Advances in Engineering Software, Elsevier Science, Vol. 97, 2016, pp. 29-39.
10. S. Guler and A. F. Ashour "Review of current design guidelines for circular FRP-wrapped plain concrete cylinders" Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE, Vol. 20(2), April 2016, pp. 1-15.
11. N. Rehman, D. Lam, X. Dai and A. F. Ashour, "Experimental study on demountable shear connectors in composite slabs with profiled decking", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 122, 2016, pp. 178-189.
12. A. Alyousif, M. Lachemi, O. Anil, G. Yildirim, M. Sahmaran and A. F. Ashour, "Comparison of Shear Behaviour of Engineered Cementitious Composite and Normal Concrete Beams with Different Shear Span Lengths", Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol. 68(5), 2016, pp. 217-228.
13. E. Golafshani and A. F. Ashour "Prediction of self-compacting concrete elastic modulus using two symbolic regression techniques" Automation in Construction Journal, Elsevier, Vol. 64(1), 2016, pp. 7-19.
14. I. F. Kara, A. F. Ashour and M. A. Köroğlu "Flexural performance of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with prestressed near-surface-mounted FRP reinforcements" Composites Part B: Engineering, 2016, Vol. 91, pp. 371-383.
15. M. Sahmaran, O. Anil, M. Lachemi, G. Yildirim and A. F. Ashour, "Effect of Corrosion on Shear Behaviour of Reinforced Engineered Cementitious Composite Beams", ACI structural journal, Vol. 112, No. 6, December 2015, pp. 771-782.
16. K. H. Yang and A. F. Ashour "Modification Factor for Shear Capacity of Lightweight Concrete Beams" ACI Structural journal, Vol. 112, No. 4, July-August 2015, pp. 485-492.
17. I. F. Kara, A. F. Ashour and M. A. Köroğlu "Flexural behaviour of hybrid FRP/steel reinforced concrete beams" Composite Structures, Vol. 129, 2015, pp. 111-121.
18. A. Alyousif, O. Anil, M. Sahmaran, M. Lachemi, G. Yildirim and A. F. Ashour, "Tests of High Performance Reinforced Concrete Beams with Different Shear Span to depth ratios and main longitudinal reinforcements", Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 34 (18), 2015, pp. 1491-1505.
19. Mahroug, M. E. M., Ashour, A. F. and Lam, D. "Tests of Continuous Concrete Slabs Reinforced with Carbon Fibre Reinforced Polymer Bars" Composite Part B: Engineering, 2014, Vol. 66, pp. 348-357.
20. Ganaw, A. I. and Ashour, A. F. "Rheological properties of mortars prepared with different sands" ACI Material journal, Sept. 2014, Vol. 111(5), pp. 561-568.
21. Ganaw, A. I., Hughes, D. C. and Ashour A. F. "Grout rheology threshold for preplaced aggregate concrete production" Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Construction Materials, Vol. 167(6), December 2014, pp. 292-301.
22. A. F. Ashour and I. F. Kara "Size Effect on Shear Strength of FRP Reinforced Concrete Beams" Composites: Part B, Vol. 60, 2014, 612-620.
23. M. E. M. Mahroug, A. F. Ashour and D. Lam "Experimental Response and Code Modelling of Continuous Concrete Slabs Reinforced with BFRP Bars" Composite Structures, Vol. 107, 2014, pp. 664-674.
24. I. F. Kara and A. F. Ashour "Moment redistribution in continuous FRP reinforced concrete beams" Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 49, 2013, pp. 939-948.
25. I. F. Kara and A. F. Ashour "Deflection of concrete structures reinforced with FRP bars" Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol. 44, No. 1, 2013, pp. 375-384.
26. K. H. Yang, J. I. Sim, J. H. Kang and A. F. Ashour "Shear Capacity of Monolithic Concrete Joints without Transverse Reinforcement" Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol. 64, No. 9, 2012, pp. 767-779.
27. R. Bashir and A. F. Ashour "Neural network modelling for shear strength of concrete members reinforced with FRP bars" Composites: Part B, Vol. 43, 2012, pp. 3198-3207.
28. I. F. Kara and A. F. Ashour "Flexural performance of FRP reinforced concrete elements" Composite Structures Journal, Vol. 94, No. 5, April 2012, pp. 1616-1625.
29. K. H. Yang and A. F. Ashour "Shear Capacity of Reinforced Concrete Corbels using Mechanism Analysis" Structures and Building Journal, ICE, Vol. 165, No. 3, March 2012, 111-125.
30. K. H. Yang and A. F. Ashour, "Strut-and-tie model based on crack band theory for deep beams" Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 137, No. 10, October 2011, 1030-1038.
31. M. Mohammadhassani, M. Jumaat, A. F. Ashour and M. Jameel, "Failure modes and serviceability of high strength self compacting concrete deep beams", Engineering Failure Analysis Journal, Vol. 18, 2011, pp. 2272-2281.
32. L. Abosrra, A. F. Ashour and M. Youseffi, "Corrosion of steel reinforcement in concrete of different compressive strengths", Construction and Building Materials Journal, Vol. 25, 2011, pp. 3915-3925.
33. L. Abosrra, M. Youseffi and A F Ashour "Effectiveness of calcium nitrite corrosion inhibitor in retarding corrosion of steel in concrete", the International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2011, pp. 65-73.
34. K H Yang, A F Ashour and J K Lee "Shear strength of reinforced concrete dapped-end beams using mechanism analysis" Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol. 63, No. 1, 2011, pp. 1-17.
35. K. H. Yang and A. F. Ashour "Aggregate Interlock in Lightweight Concrete Continuous Deep Beams," Engineering Structures Journal, Vol. 33, 2011, pp. 136-145.
36. L. Abosrra, A. F. Ashour, S. C. Mitchell, and M. Youseffi, "Effect of surface roughness on corrosion of mild steel and 316L austenitic stainless steel in sodium chloride saline solutions" Journal of Tribology and Surface Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 3-4, 2010, pp. 20-35.
37. S.W. Garrity, A. F. Ashour and Y. Chen, "An Experimental Investigation of Retro-Reinforced Clay Brick Arches," International Masonry Society Proceedings, British Masonry Society, No. 11, 2010, pp. 733-742 (ISSN 0950-9615).
38. K. H. Yang, H. Y. Byun, and A. F. Ashour, "Shear Strengthening of Continuous Reinforced Concrete T-beams Using Wire Rope Units" Engineering Structures Journal, 2009, Vol. 31, pp. 1154-1165.
39. K. H. Yang, J. K. Song, K. S. Lee, and A. F. Ashour, "Flow and Compressive Strength of Alkali-Activated Mortars" ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 106, No. 1, January-February 2009, pp. 50-58.