Cleaning and Portering Services
Cleaning and Portering Services for the University are overseen and carried out by the Ancillary Services section who also have the responsibility for the Post, Audio Visual Services, the University's Hire Car and Waste Collection, Disposal and Recycling. The main office is in the Phoenix Building North East Block, Room 0.01. However, many of the above sections are based elsewhere and many there are many Ancillary Services staff based in various campuses and buildings.
The following is an outline of the cleaning service provided by the University:
Deviations from this can be made by arrangement with Departments/ Schools so resources can be re-directed according to Department's priorities.
Replenishing of Supplies:
Please note dispensers in public toilets will be replenished by Ancillary Services. Where a hot air dryer is supplied no paper towels are provided unless by requisitioned by a department. Dispensers fitted within departmental areas such as labs, workshops, staff rooms, will only be replenished if the Department provides the stock to do this. To do this send a requisition to Sue Walters, Ancillary Services, or email Sue Walters giving a cost centre and detail code.
Please note: Halls of Residence fall under the responsibility of Accommodation Services.
The Portering service the university provides is limited to:
- Removal of day to day waste, waste materials for recycling and confidential waste from pre-determined collection points.
- Removal of recycling from departments.
- Setting up and taking down furniture and display stands for important university events such as Open Days, Graduation Ceremonies, Exams, Registration.
- Sweeping and clearing external areas immediately adjacent to main entrances to buildings as well as spreading of grit and clearing of snow when the weather makes this necessary.
- Dealing with spills and floods as required.
- Secure collection, transport, archiving and disposal of students' exam papers.
- Assisting Exams office, invigilators and other staff/students during examinations by preparing exam rooms, displaying information and escorting students where asked to do so by invigilators.
- Assisting security staff with crowd management during degree ceremonies.
These are the primary duties of porters. Where these and staffing levels allow, porters will often help in other duties such as moving equipment, boxes and furniture around buildings. Please see A Guide to moving offices. It is important to stress that such help can only be provided where and when the work load from the above duties and staffing levels are sufficient. Much will depend on the amount of notice, the time of the year and the size of the move required as well as the degree of flexibility available in the timing of such moves.
All requests for Portering Services should be addressed to extension 3001 or email estatesandfacilities-helpdesk@Bradford.ac.uk.
01274 23 4808
01274 23 4838
Check us out on Facebook!
"to be seen as delivering professional, economic, cutting edge solutions with an enthusiastic, pro-active customer focused approach"
Report a Fault
Virtual Green Campus Tour
A-Z of Waste (what goes where?)
Estate Strategy 2015 -2025 (pdf, 2.5MB)
Service Level Agreements
Building Floor Plans
Notification of Works
Car Parking Permits
Projects Update October 2017 (pdf, 505KB), added 11/10/2017
Performance Dashboard (pdf, 453KB), added 11/10/2017
Helpdesk Statistics, updated 11/10/2017
Performance Dashboard (pdf, 378KB), added 5/10/2017
Latest News, updated 19/9/2017
Asbestos Management, updated 5/9/2017
Health and Safety Panel, updated 5/9/2017
Campus Activity Tracker (pdf, 120KB), updated 5/9/2017
Pemberton Level 0 plan (pdf, 30KB), updated 30/8/2017