Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Waste Advice

A-Z of WastesWhat goes where poster 2011.

We have produced an A-Z guide of wastes and how to dispose each of them. Can't find what your looking for? Email us:

Finding Out About Waste Minimisation Opportunities

Options here include:

  • Recycling
  • Composting
  • Furniture Re-Use
  • Computer Re-Use

Procedure for dealing with waste

It is firstly important to be clear that it is the responsibility of the department creating the waste to ensure the waste is disposed of correctly. In the case of daily office waste cleaning staff will remove waste from designated waste bins in the area. Do not put anything electrical, hazardous, liquids, sharps, pressurised containers or chemical substances in these bins.

Having a clear out

The main rule is think ahead. Have a look at what you want clearing out and decide whether it can be re-used by someone else. If it can contact anyone who can use it either within the University or outside it. If you think you can get any money for it you should do so (this belongs to the university).  If the item has a value either advertise it openly or go through Finance so there is no risk of you being accused of misappropriating University property.

We have a Furniture Reuse Store which can be used to donate or obtain office furniture for free (internal use only). If you do all this in advance, transport and porters can be arranged. There is also the opportunity to buy furniture for home use.

If it does not have value then can it be recycled. Paper, glass, scrap metal can all be recycled.

If it contains any items  classed as Hazardous Waste under the The Hazardous Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2005,  then the item should be disposed of safely and legally. Contact us to discuss this.

Booking a skip

If you need a skip it is important that you tell us where it can be parked and that you only put non-hazardous waste. Ensure the location where you intend to put the skip does not block access to delivery vehicles, disabled or other users and does not represent a fire risk. Skips should be at least 8 metres from a building so if they catch fire they don't endanger the building; if they are enclosed and locked, or in a secure compound and for a short period this is less of a hazard. If in doubt speak to the fire officer on x5764. Make sure you tell us when you have finished with the skip so we can have it removed.

Vacating an area

It is the responsibility of the department vacating an area to ensure the area is cleared of all furniture and where applicable the area has been decontaminated and any hazardous residues and equipment removed (eg fume cupboards decontaminated, obsolete chemicals or cultures removed and the area treated to ensure it is safe). Please refer to the Guide to Moving Offices for more information.

Hazardous waste

The Hazardous Waste Regulations (England) 2005 requires producers of hazardous waste to register with the Environment Agency. The university has registered the following locations. You may need to quote the registration code if you are disposing directly of any hazardous waste (eg if you have regular or large amounts or it is a specialised waste you may have departmental arrangements with suppliers who will ask you for these codes):


 Location Code  Post Code Premise Reg No Expiry Date
 Faculty of Management and Law  BD9 4JL   AMC109  16th July 2016
 Nursery/Health Centre  BD5 0NS  AMC110  16th July 2016
City Campus   BD7 1DP  AMC112  16th July 2016


Hazardous Waste includes:

  • neon tubes/light bulbs
  • electrical equipment
  • fridges and refrigeration units
  • pressurised containers including aerosols or fire extinguishers
  • tyres
  • oils of various types,
  • heavy metals (mercury, cadmium etc) 
  • various chemicals (eg cleaning chemicals or laboratory chemicals)
  • drugs 
  • IT equipment.