The University of Bradford is an institution in the heart of the City of Bradford. Bradford has a fascinating heritage and culture, from two UNESCO sites to amazing countryside, and is one of the most multicultural cities in the UK making it a destination of choice for national and international students.
We form effective partnerships, both formal and informal, with stakeholders in the district, including, but not limited to, business, education, public, community and voluntary sector groups and alumni for the benefit of the City and the University.
Some example partnerships include:
- Bradford Literature Festival - described as "one of the three most inspirational literature festivals in the UK" by Peter Florence, Organiser of the Hay Literature Festival, The University of Bradford has played a key role in the development of the Bradford Literature Festival since its inception in 2013. Many of the Festival's events occur on campus and the institution is proud to sit beside other key Bradford organisations as University Sponsor.
- Bradford City of Film - The University of Bradford and Bradford UNESCO City of Film have always worked closely together, with students from the University’s School of Media, Design and Technology gaining valuable experience from the partnerships and filming opportunities that UNESCO bring to the city. The partnership between the two organisations has ensured that many filmmakers come to Bradford for the fantastic locations and the pool of talent available. In 2016 the City of Film team joined Team Bradford with a move to our City Campus.
- City of Sanctuary Bradford - The University of Bradford has a Sanctuary Working Group, looking at how we can welcome asylum seekers and refugees into our University. It's part of the University of Sanctuary, a UK-wide initiative aiming to ensure universities foster a culture of welcome and inclusion for asylum seekers and refugees. We have close links to the Bradford City of Sanctuary.
- National Science and Media Museum - The University of Bradford and NSMM, have a strong working relationships. Collaborating on cultural events and bids, including the Bradford Science Festival (led by NSMM), both institutions are passionate about Bradford being a City that celebrates science and technology.
- Bradford Metropolitan District Council - The University of Bradford and Bradford Metropolitan District Council have long standing and strong working relationships. Supporting cultural activities, campaigns and projects the institutions are intrinsically linked.
- Bradford City Football Club - Professor David Sharpe founded The Plastic Surgery and Burns Research Unit (PSBRU) hosted at the University of Bradford following the fire disaster at the Bradford City football club in 1985. The Club and University have worked together since on fundraising for PSBRU and continue to promote season tickets to our staff and students.
We also work with a range of schools across the district on initiatives such as Children's University.
When considering local and regional partnerships the University of Bradford considers the following;
- Does the potential partnership provide mutual benefits, with a clear tangible outcome for both parties and/or the City and District?
- Will the potential partnership support the positive profile of the University on a local, national and international level?
- Does the potential partnership bridge the gap between the locality and the University and ultimately improve access to the University either virtually or physically?