Applying for National Support

You should start thinking about applying for financial support as soon as you have applied for a place at university. You don't need to wait until your place has been confirmed - simply quote the course that you want to attend. If your course changes after you apply, tell the Student Finance Service.

It is also important to inform the Student Finance Service about any disability or health condition at this stage, so that information can be sent to you about any additional funding which may be available.

We advise that if you want your first instalment of financial support to be available in September, you should return your application to the Student Finance Service as soon as possible. You should be able to apply from February 2018 onwards for 2018 entry.

When you complete your application for financial support it is important that you and your sponsor (usually your parents) consent to share your information with the University. Without this consent we are unable to pay any scholarships for which you might be eligible.

If your home is in England

If you live in England, Student Finance England will deal with your support application.

You can apply online.

If your home is in Wales

The Higher Education Act 2004 allows responsibility for tuition fees and student support to be transferred from the Department for Education & Skills (DfES) to the National Assembly for Wales.

Students who normally live in Wales can get up-to-date information on student finance arrangements for 2018 entry on the Student Finance Wales website.

If your home is in Scotland

You should contact the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) for information about arrangements in Scotland.

If your home is in Northern Ireland

You should contact the Student Finance Northern Ireland for information about arrangements in Northern Ireland.

If your home is in the EU

If you are a new student from the EU you will need to fill in the form EU17N available in April from the Student Finance website.

You will need to submit this form as soon as possible to get the maximum financial help you're entitled to in time for the start of term.

Please wait while you are being redirected