Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Fee Assessment Glossary


This means being ordinarily resident in the UK without any immigration restriction on the length of your stay.  Settled for this purpose is to have the right of abode, indefinite leave to Enter/Remain or have the right of residence in the UK under EC law.

If your passport describes you as a British Citizen then you have the 'right of abode'

The first day of the first academic year of the course

Relevant date:

  • 1 September-on or after the 1 August and on or before the 31 December
  • 1 January-on or after the 1 January and before the 1 April
  • 1 April-on or after the 1 April and before 1 July
  • 1 July-on or after the 1 July and before 1 August

Ordinarily resident

To be ordinarily resident you have to be habitually, normally and lawfully resident in the area (UK and islands, EEA or Switzerland) by your own choice.

If you were not ordinary resident as you or a family member were temporarily working outside the relevant area this may be classed as temporary absence.

Purpose of residence

This refers to your main purpose of residence not being for receiving full time education.

If you had not been receiving full time education then you would be living outside of the relevant area then this would imply that your main purpose would be for receiving full time education.

EU National

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

The EEA for residency purposes

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus (including northern Cyprus), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Swiss National

Relevant Family members

Spouse or Civil Partner - a definition of which is available from the UK lesbian and Gay immigration group.

Direct descendant of the EU national, or of the EU nationals Spouse or Civil Partner. Children must be under 21 or over 21 and dependant on the EU national, Spouse or Civil Partner.

Direct dependant Ascendants of the EU national.

Channel Islands and the Isle of Man

The fees for these islands are different to the standard home fees.

Overseas Territories

British Overseas Territories

Anguilla, Bermuda, British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Montserrat, Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie & Oeno Islands, South Georgia & the South Sandwich Islands, St Helena and Dependencies (Ascension Island and Tristan da Cunha), Turks & Caicos Islands.

Overseas territories of other EU Member States

Aruba (Netherlands), Faroe Islands (Denmark), French Polynesia (France), French Southern & Antarctic Territories (France), Mayotte (France), Greenland( Denmark), Netherlands Antilles (Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint Eustatius and Sint Maarten) (Netherlands), St Pierre et Miquelon (France), The Territory of New Caledonia and Dependencies (France), Wallis & Fortuna (France).

Turkish worker

Turkish national who is ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom and who is, or has been, lawfully employed in the United Kingdom.

EEA/Swiss 'worker'

'Worker' is an EEA/Swiss national who is:

  • Employed
  • Self-employed
  • A 'Frontier worker' (someone who resides in the EEA/Switzerland but works in the UK and returns to the EEA/Switzerland at least once a week)

What is accepted as work?

  • The work must be in the UK
  • Can be full-time or part-time
  • If you give up work to start a course then you should still be treated as a migrant worker if your chosen course is related to your area of work.
  • If you become involuntarily unemployed (redundancy, end of contract) then you do not have to show that your course is related to your area of work.
  • It can be work that you are doing while studying unless the work is part of the course.