Dominic J Egan
|Position||Programme Lead for the Pre-Registration BSc (Hons) Nursing (all fields), Nurse lecturer|
|Location||Horton A Building. Room 2.13|
|Department||School of Nursing and Healthcare Leadership|
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
Delivery on to the Preregistration Nursing Degree, with a focus on:
- clinical care
- applied pathophysiology
- health policy
- ethics and professional regulation.
Personal academic tutoring, academic supervision, supervision of MSc student .
- Governance of the academic, professional and regulatory integrity of the programme and students.
- Investigation of student discipline and management of student progression.
- Contribute to the Programme management team.
- Member of the School Management Team.
- Chair for Assessment Committee and Board of Examiners.
- NMC liaison and signator for registration
I initially trained as as an engineer, then following an experience volunteering in Houston Tx USA, I developed an interested in a role in helping others.
I commenced nurse training in Bradford in Dec 1989. Initially following a surgical nurse career pathway, then eight years in intensive (critical) care in: Bradford (general), Leeds (cardiac/neuro), and Sydney, Oz (general).
In 2000 I became a Professional Development nurse in Leeds, then as a 'Ward Based Teacher' for medical students on placement in Leeds Hospitals. In this role I developed skills in advanced clinical assessment, how to differentiate a diagnosis and the underpinning clinical decision making.
In 2005 I took a post at Leeds Metropolitan University as a Lecturer, centered around the education of senior nurses training to undertake advanced practice skills to case manage and support people with long term conditions. I developed a deeper interest in pre-registration nurse training and in 2013 returned to Bradford as a nurse Lecturer. I became the programme leader for Pre-Registration nursing degree in 2016.
My focus is protecting the integrity of my nursing profession.
In my own time I am a keen sportive cyclist and mid distance runner. In April 2017 I completed both 'Tour of Yorkshire' and 'Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders).
- M.Ed University of Leeds 2014
- PGCE University Of Leeds 2005
- BSc (Hons) Health Studies 2:1 Leeds Metropolitan University 1997
- RGN Bradford and Airedale College of Health. 1993
- Registered General Nurse since 1993
- Registered Nurse (PIN 90A0039E)
- Registered Nurse Teacher 31/07/2009
- Fellow Higher Education Academy Since 2013
M.Ed in Clinical Education University of Leeds (July 2014) a Qualitative Study (thematic analysis) of the experience of a shared VLE by Students and Academics.
Interests also include the development of competence technology in Wellbeing & Healthcare
Firth, A, Haith-Cooper, M, & Egan, D 2016, 'Do psychosocial interventions have an impact on maternal perception of perinatal depression?', British Journal Of Midwifery, 24, 12, pp. 855-866,
2017 Contribution and review of the draft NMC Standards for Professional Registration, due 2018.
Since becoming the Programme Leader the combined score for overall satisfaction in the NSS is the highest since it was introduced and the 4th highest in the UK.
- Links to the NMC.
- Bradford Hospitals and Community community Nursing committee member.
- Reviewed the Nuffield Healthcare Clinical Care records redesign.