Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Frequently Asked Questions by Parents

Fees and Finance

What are the tuition fees for an undergraduate course?

Tuition fees vary from the type of course your son/daughter is studying and their fee status. For more details, please visit our Undergraduate International Tuition Fees webpage for the academic year 2016/17.  

When do I need to pay tuition fees?

International Students: Tuition fees can be paid in full at enrolment or by instalments.  Fees will vary by type of course.  You can find additional information about fees on our Tuition Fees webpages.

EU: Your son/daughter will pay the same tuition fees as UK students. Other fees such as those for a foundation year or the placement year of a sandwich course are also the same as for UK students. For full details see the Fees and Finance webpages.

Most EU students will have access to a repayable tuition fee loan to pay these course fees - these are not means tested and are paid directly to the University on your behalf by the Student Loans Company.

If your son/daughter already has a degree or has studied at university before, they may not be eligible for a tuition fee loan. This is the case even if their previous study was in another country. Please check with the Student Finance Services European Team or email the Hub before you enrol.

EU students are not eligible for any other forms of Government support such as maintenance loans or maintenance grants.

To apply for the tuition fee loan, your son/daughter will need to submit a EU13N form. To download the form, follow the links for EU students on the Student Finance website (external link).

The Student Finance Services European Team, based in Darlington, UK, will deal with your applications and enquiries. You can call their helpline at +44 141 243 3570 or email

What scholarships are available?

There are a number of scholarships that are available to the University of Bradford students:

  • Scholarships for international students in 2016/17
  • Scholarships for EU students in 2016/17

Will I get a discount if I pay my fees in advance?

For the academic year 2016/17 the discount for full fee payment before the given dates will be 3%. Fees must be in excess of £6,000. For more information on the deadlines, please see our website.

To be eligible for the discount, your son/daughter must be paying fees directly to the University of Bradford.  Fees paid via a third party such as an sponsor will not attract the early payment discount.

How can I open a bank account?

The majority of international students open a UK bank account when they arrive in Bradford. There are strict regulations that the banks must adhere to when opening an account for your son/daughter. The documents that the bank will need to see are:

  • Their passport.
  • Biometric Residence Permit (if you have a Tier 4 visa).  They will need to come to the International Student Information Point when they arrive, so that we can help them to collect their Biometric Residence Permit from the local Post Office.
  • ‘Letter of Introduction to UK Banking Facilities’.  They can obtain this from the Hub, on the ground floor of the Richmond Building, once they have enrolled on their course. 

We suggest that your son/daughter bring some cash (around £300), or traveller’s cheques, so that they can meet their everyday expenses until their bank account becomes active. Remember also that if they are going to deposit a cheque into a UK bank account, it will take time for this to clear before they can withdraw the money (generally a minimum of 4 to 5 working days for UK cheques, and often 28 days or more if converting from another currency).

There are several high street banks near to the University. The staff at the International Student Information Point can help students to open an account.


Are the City Campus and the Emm Lane Campus safe? Should I worry about the safety of my family member?

The University of Bradford takes the safety and security of its students and staff very seriously. The chances that your son/daughter will become a victim of violent crime in the Bradford area are very low.

You can read more and watch a YouTube video on our Student Life website. Our University of Bradford Student Union is also involved. Please visit the UBU website to find out more.

The Security & Emergency Services Office is located in the Atrium of the Richmond Building. It is staffed at all times of the day and night and staff are available to help them with any problems that they may have.

There is also a Security Office at the Faculty of Management and Law.

A number of Security staff, male and female, patrol all areas of the University on foot and by vehicle throughout the day and night. There is an extensive system of CCTV cameras, Intruder Alarms and Access Control in all areas of University property for your safety and security. You can find out more on the Estates and Facilities website.

Dietary Requirements

Are there food outlets that will accommodate my child’s dietary requirements?

Bradford caters to many tastes and different dietary requirements including vegetarian, halal and specialist diets. There are many places for your son/daughter to relax with a coffee or a meal and to buy their own groceries.  


Where will my son/daughter stay?

The Green is a purpose-built £40 million student village at the City Campus, putting students right at the heart of the University’s academic studies, student facilities, support services and social activities. Find out more on our accommodation website.

Safety in the Green

Being located in the heart of the campus, the village is very secure.

  • The village is staffed 24 hours a day.
  • There are 42 CCTV cameras operate throughout the site and feed back to a 24hr monitoring control room.
  • Ground floor windows are made with toughened glass, and each house and flat, as well as bedroom, has its own key fob.

Where will I pay accommodation fees?

Accommodation fees are to be paid directly to The Green and not to the University of Bradford. You can contact the Accommodation team to find out more information.

What are the living costs?

Living costs are calculated for visa purposes as being £1015 per month for students who live outside of London.

If your son/daughter is on a course of 12 months or more, they  will need to show that they have living costs for nine months, i.e. £1015 x 9 = £9135 - in addition to the tuition fees for the first year of their course - when they make their visa application. 

To calculate living expenses you can also use the International Student Calculator (external link). 

Student Services

What support services are available?

The Hub is the University’s Student Support Centre and provides a central reception where students can receive information and guidance from our student support team. There are also a range of leaflets, information and useful documents available at The Hub.

What services are available

  • A range of student Confirmation/Registration letters, e.g. bank, invitation, work hours letters.
  • Hardship Fund/Short term loan/financial relief - initial enquiries and receipt of applications
  • Advice on finance and funding support.
  • Assistance and advice from the International Student Adviser (appointments and drop in sessions).
  • Graduation Ceremony information.
  • Bursaries and scholarships.
  • Certifying University-produced documents (£3 per copy).
  • Council tax exemption certificates and letters.
  • Course Enquiries.
  • Copy and/or replacement certificate and transcript requests (a charge will be made for this service).
  • Enrolment information.
  • Financial transactions e.g. paying tuition fees at the Payzone.
  • Information on accommodation.
  • Other general enquiries and signposting to other departments.
  • Replacing student and staff cards (£10 if lost).
  • Study Abroad information (drop in service available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays).
  • Tuition fee queries.

Personal Tutors

Our proactive Personal Academic Tutor scheme aims to ensure that throughout your son/daughter’s time at university they have regular opportunities to meet with an assigned member of academic staff, their ‘Personal Academic Tutor’ or PAT, in order to discuss and improve their personal, academic and professional development. You can find out more on our Centre for Educational Development webpages.

The Counselling Service

Coming to a new place and country can be difficult as you have to get used to so many things: there will be differences in the way people dress, how they speak, the food they eat, the climate and customs, the money. This all takes time to get used to. At the University of Bradford one way we try to help people who are in difficulty is through counselling.

Counselling gives you a chance to come and talk, in confidence, about anything that is troubling you. Your counsellor will help you to think things through, make changes in your life if you need, and give you information about who else might help. You can find out more on the Counselling webpages.

There is also The University of Bradford Student’s Union Advice Centre.

Our award-winning International Student Adviser, Sue Baker, is available daily at The Hub, from 2pm to 4pm.  Alternatively, your son/daughter can make an appointment by contacting us.

Chaplaincy and Faith Advisors

Tolerance and respect for religions and beliefs are important at the University of Bradford. The City has places of worship for most faiths and religions and many of these are close to our campus. The Chaplaincy team represent various faith groups and provide spiritual support and pastoral care for staff and students of all faiths and none. You can find details on our Student Services website under Faith Advisors and Chaplains in the A-Z.

With the University of Bradford’s beautifully diverse campus housing a large population of Muslim students and staff, the University of Bradford Islamic Society (ISoc) worked alongside the UBU and the University to develop a dedicated prayer facility in the Carlton Building – the Carlton Prayer Room.


What can my child do for leisure?

Your son/daughter’s journey at Bradford will see them become part of a global village within one of the friendliest, most diverse and multicultural campus communities in the UK.

They’ll mix and make friends with people from a huge variety of social, educational and cultural backgrounds.

The University of Bradford Union (UBU) has over 35 sports for your son/daughter to get involved with. Sports is an integral part of university life and at the UBU, we strive and encourage an active student body. The Sport Clubs are run by students and for students, with support from the union, and are listed on the UBU website

There are over 100 societies to join and get involved with. Students can even become an executive member and have a direct say in how the society works or start up their own society if they and their friends have a great idea. There are details of our student societies on the UBU website.

Working in the UK

Will my son/daughter be able to work during their studies whilst living in the UK?

Many international students take on part time work whilst living and studying in the UK.  To check your son/daughter’s eligibility to work in the UK the first thing they will need to do is to look at their passport and see what stamp the UK immigration authorities have given them.  Most undergraduate students who are studying for over 6 months are allowed to work part-time during the term of up to 20 hours a week (up to 10 hours per week for foundation courses students) and full-time during the vacations.

Visas and Immigration

How can my son/daughter apply for a visa?

Most international students will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK. As the Tier 4 visa requirements and application forms change regularly, your son/daughter will need to make sure that they have the latest information of visa application procedures by enquiring at your nearest British Embassy or High Commission.

You can find detailed information about the visa application procedure for new students on our Visa Support webpage

Travel to Bradford

Airport Pick-Up Service

We advise planning your son/daughter’s flights so that they arrive at either Leeds/Bradford Airport (which is the closest to the University) or to Manchester Airport.

Free airport pick up services will be available from Leeds/Bradford Airport and Manchester Airport on selected dates prior to enrolment for September and January entry.

It is essential that your son/daughter pre-books their airport pick-up. Airport pick up must be arranged by contacting as soon as possible to avoid any disappointment.

For more information, visit Planning Your Journey.

Term Dates

What are the term dates?

The academic year is split into two semesters; September to January and January to May. The year is also split into three terms that fit around the holidays.

For current and future term dates, please see our Study webpages.

Start and end dates may be different depending on your son/daughter’s course - please check the individual course page for details.