Skip to content
Open menu Close menu


As part of  their Research degree students may be required to work away from the University to carry out Fieldwork. The University of Bradford will permit Field work as long as it a required and integral part of the students course and meets the following requirements;

• It has a direct relevance to the students Projects and training.

• The proposed Fieldwork location is a suitable and a safe environment.

• The student and Supervisor have an agreed work plan.

• Adequate supervision and attendance monitoring is in place.

This type of authorised absence includes all Fieldwork trips (whether overseas or based in the UK).

It is expected that such trips for full-time students are normally restricted to 6 months duration (up to a maximum period of 1 year) during any Research project.

Any leave request to work away from the University of Bradford must be approved in advance by the students Supervisor and Faculty. The student will need to request a Field Work Form from their department; complete the form, following the instructions, and include all relevant fieldwork documentation including their Flight details (if required).

Once the Fieldwork and form have been authorised, the Faculty need to send the form to the Visa Support team.

As a Tier 4 student they must remember to update their contact details with the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI), and the Police if Police Registration is a condition of their visa, during the time they are away from the University via update your address, and again once they return from their Fieldwork.

Request to undertake Fieldwork Forms

Fieldwork & Conference Forms (PDF 331 KB)

Fieldwork & Conference Forms (Word 36 KB)

Fieldwork Agreement Form

Fieldwork Agreement Form (PDF 218 KB)

Fieldwork Agreement Form (Word 29 KB)