Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Tier 4 students work during study

If you are employing students with a Tier 4 visa on campus please be mindful of the conditions of their visa which restricts the hours that they can work and the types of work they can do.

Are Tier 4 students allowed to work?

During term time students can work for a maximum of 20 hours per week if they are studying at degree level or above; and 10 hours per week if they are studying below degree level. Students on a Short Term Study visa of 6 months or under, are not permitted to work in the UK.

What is term time?

Please ask students to check their defined vacation periods and make sure that they are clear when they have holidays and when term time is.

Term time is any period when students are required to do academic work such as attend classes, lectures and tutorials; prepare for exams; do coursework; write essays, a dissertation or thesis. This would include the summer period for PGT students.

  • Undergraduate students have a vacation period at Christmas, Easter and in the summer.
  • Postgraduate students have a vacation period at Christmas and Easter, but not the summer, as this is when you will usually be writing your dissertation.
  • PhD students will have a vacation period at Christmas and with the permission of their supervisor.

Students can work full time during the vacation periods and during the additional periods before and after their course start and end dates. This is confirmed by the Home Office guidance for employers

What kind of work can students do?

Students can do most kinds of work. However, they must not do:

• self-employment and engage in business activity
• work as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach
• entertainer
• a permanent full-time job
• doctor or dentist in training, unless they are on the foundation programme.

Please contact the Visa Support Team if you need any further advice about hours and types of work allowed for Tier 4 students as employing students in breach of these conditions can result in the University being issued with a Civil Penalty by the Home Office and risk to our Tier 4 Sponsor Licence.

Useful links

Tier 4 Migrant Guidance
University of Bradford Career and Employability Services
UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) guidance on working during your studies