Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Time Limits on Study

The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have introduced time limit (cap) on studying with a Tier 4 visa. Before the Visa Support Team can issue the student a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) they will need to check that the students' application will not them over the maximum time they are allowed to study in the UK.  This includes time spent on an 'old style student visa' (Pre 2009).

The current caps are:

  • 2 years for study below degree level. This may be relevant for a Foundation or English Language programme,
  • 5 years for study at Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught degree level (up to 6 years for Undergraduate programmes of 4 years duration),
  • 8 years for Post Graduate Research study.

Triggers that might indicate the applicant has studied in the UK previously include:

  • Reference to previous study on the application form or Curriculum Vitae (CV). You can check the question regarding previous study in the UK on the online form,
  • Reference to work experience in the UK,
  • Personal statement refers to study in UK,
  • Personal reference indicates the applicant may have studied in the UK,
  • Copy of previous visa sent as part of the University application.

If the applicant has studied in the UK previously you should:

  • Check if the applicant is currently in the UK,
  • Obtain details of previous study including the length of programme and level of study,
  • Obtain copies of previous visas and the students previous CAS statements, if available,
  • Calculate the length of time studied in the UK,
  • Check if the applicant has studied in the UK at the same level of study as the programme they are currently applying for; if it is the same level you will need to assess whether the applicant meets the rules relating to Academic Progression,
  • Refer to the Visa Support Team or telephone 01247 236900.