Getting Started with EndNote
First, you need your own EndNote library
- You need to save all of your references in a file called an EndNote Library.
- Open Endnote: Click on the Start button, then select Programs, EndNote, Endnote Program.
- Choose Create a new EndNote Library and click on OK, select your hard drive space (i.e. your username on the M: drive) or USB memory stick.
- Name your EndNote library and click on Save.
- For now, it is a good idea to use the same EndNote Library for all of your work, but you can create separate files for different essays or sources of bibliographic information if you prefer.
Open your EndNote Library
- Open EndNote, in the same way as step 2 above, this time selecting Open an existing EndNote Library. You can Browse to find your file if it is not already listed on the screen.
- Alternatively go to File, then select Open, and follow the arrow across to Open Library.
- Select your Endnote library, then click on Open.
Input a reference
- Click on References and New Reference from the title bar in the EndNote window.
- Select your Reference Type from the drop-down menu. You will most probably want Book, Book Section or Journal Article, but there are also other options. Fill in the relevant fields with the information you have, i.e. author, title and so on. Enter authors’ names in the format Surname, First Name e.g. Smith, Delia or Banks, J O
- When you have finished entering your reference, click on the X in the top-right corner of the New Reference window.
- Repeat for the rest of your references. When you have finished, simply click on the X in the top-right corner of the EndNote X window. Your library file will be saved automatically.
NB You can set your default output style at this stage by selecting it from the drop-down styles list on the main toolbar. Many of you will be expected to use the Harvard (Brad) output style. (See the Format section of this guide for more details about selecting styles.)
To Preview the way your reference will look, click on Show Preview at the bottom of the EndNote Library screen.
Change a reference
- Once you are in your EndNote Library, you can change elements of references you have already entered.
- Double-click on the reference you want to alter.
- Scroll down using the bar on the right, and enter or change any fields, as you need to.
- When you have finished, just click on the X in the top right corner of the Reference box. Your changes will be saved automatically.
Need help with this Resource?
For further help and information please contact your subject librarian.