Externally funded projects
Details of projects will be listed when new projects are available.
Self funded projects
Candidates can apply for the self-funded projects listed below.
You can apply online. Applications are accepted at any time.
Projects in Chemistry
- Polymers for detection of infection
- Polymers for treating amoebic infections in India
- Scaffolds for supporting epithelial cells
- Core and core-shell nanomaterials synthesis for Optoelectronics
- Nanomaterials as White Light Emitters for Low Cost Lighting
- Oxidic Nanomaterials for High Density Storage in Li-ion Batteries
- Synthesis and functional studies of metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) derived from high oxidation stat
- Development of highly stable porous composite membranes for separation of greenhouse gases
- Strategic synthesis of magnetically interesting high nuclearity complexes of 3d-4f metal ions
- Biomimetic water splitting using novel transition metal complexes
- Rational Control of Crystal Morphology
- Directed Co-Crystallisation of Pharmaceuticals
- Ion channel gating kinetics and structure implication for drug delivery
- Computation and Confirmation Experiments on Solvated Hydrogen Bonding Complexes
Projects in Biosciences
- Electrophysiological changes in ion channels after nanoparticle exposure
- Identification of the mechanisms important in enhanced platelet activation in diabetes
- The effect of metal nanoparticles in human haploid and diploid cells
- Parallels between wound healing and cancer – role of epithelial to mesenchymal transition (EMT)
- Developing a tissue engineered/polyurethane blood vessel
- Impact of RhoA deregulation on smooth muscle cell phenotypic dysfunction in Type 2 diabetes
- Impact of normal and premature ageing on human macro- and microvasculature
- Development of transdermal protein liposomal delivery system for the treatment of dermatological diseases
- Circadian control of energy balance regulation
- Naked mole rat skin as a model for ageing and cancer resistance
How to apply
If you are interested in working with an academic on a relevant area of research you will need to discuss your proposed field of research in detail with the proposed supervisor in the school.
Your proposed supervisor will submit a research proposal which will be assessed to ensure that the University can provide the necessary supervision, equipment and research materials. We need to know details about your proposed research topic, and also be assured that you have the prerequisite knowledge and experience.
You need to discuss details about your preferred research area with a proposed supervisor.
Along with an application form the following supporting documents are normally required:
- Degree certificates/transcripts
- Two references
- Evidence of English language (if required)
- A copy of your passport
If you apply online there is a facility to upload these documents at the end of the process. We prefer you to submit your application form and supporting materials electronically. This will help us to process your application more rapidly.
Online applications will be sent automatically to the Research Office.
The majority of research students start in September, but it may be possible to start with effect from January, April or July.
Typical periods of registration for full-time research are fifteen months (minimum twelve) for an MPhil, and three years minimum for a PhD.
Induction and Development
When you join the University of Bradford you will take part in both a University wide and a faculty based Induction Programme, which is a requirement for all full-time and part-time research students. This will help you understand the academic and social environment here, and give you an introduction to all the services, support and training available to you.
Details of the University wide programme and session timetables can be found on the University Research induction website.
Following this you would also undertake a comprehensive induction programme organised by the Faculty of Life Sciences. Full details will be provided before you start.
The following short courses are available from the Research Support Unit:
- Contacts and Useful Documents from the Faculty of Life Sciences
- Information for Current PhD Students in the Faculty of Life Sciences
- Supporting our Researchers
- Postgraduate study at the University of Bradford
- Research Home EU Fees
- Research International Fees
- Scholarships and Support from the University of Bradford
- FindAPhD.com - PhD Scholarships