Find out what support you can expect to receive as a pharmacy placement student.
The Bradford School of Pharmacy has an experienced placements team, which will help you find your professional placements, and makes sure that they offer comprehensive training in pharmacy practice.
Many students return to their previous employers when they qualify as pharmacists.
The 5-year sandwich course includes 2 six-moth periods of pre-registration training.
You will normally receive a salary (currently around £16,000 - £20,700 p.a. pro rata) during each placement, which will help you financially during the academic periods on a student loan.
You will select your choice of placement from a list of collaborating organisations.
These range from independent community pharmacies and district hospitals to larger multinational, nationwide companies and teaching hospitals.
If you wish to return home, your placement could be anywhere in Britain, although many students choose placements around Yorkshire, as they have already forged links in the area.
Please note that you will need to demonstrate a degree of flexibility when choosing your placement.
How it works
- You will usually visit your proposed placement for interview and to see the establishment, since it is important that you and your pharmacist tutor work well together
- In some cases, your employer will arrange accommodation during your training
- The General Pharmaceutical Council (external link) will be notified when you commence your training
- During your placement a member of staff from Bradford School of Pharmacy will be in contact to ensure that all is going well, visiting you if necessary
- You and your pharmacist tutor must undertake an appraisal of your progress every 13 weeks, as required by the General Pharmaceutical Council for all pre-registration trainees
- Successful completion of both six month placements is required for registration as a pharmacist and for the award of your degree