Mrs Alison McKinney
|Position||Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice|
|Location||N8, Richmond Building|
|Department||School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences|
|Feedback Hours||My usual working days are Wednesday and Friday|
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Personal tutor for students studying for the Post-graduate Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy (Secondary Care)
- Module leader/teacher for Applied Therapeutics (second year) PG Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy (Secondary care)
- Teacher for Foundations In Clinical Practice (first year) PG Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy (Secondary Care)
- Clinical Teaching on MPharm on clinical pharmacy skills in paediatrics, cardiology, respiratory, human reproduction and consultation skills
Various administrative responsibilities relating to module leadership and clinical teaching.
During a long career in hospital pharmacy (working in district general hospitals), I have been lucky enough to have experience in a wide variety of clinical pharmacy activities including medicine, surgery, orthopaedics, critical care and paediatrics. I have managed out-patient anticoagulant clinics and have been involved in formulating neonatal and adult parenteral nutrition and other aseptic services.
For two and a half days a week, I am currently the Lead Pharmacist for Education & Training at Airedale NHS Foundation Trust. I have always had an interest in teaching and was on the first cohort of a novel teaching course at the University of Leeds. This Advanced Diploma In Clinical Pharmacy and subsequent Masters of Education led me into more teaching of pharmacists, medical students, nursing and medical staff in the hospital setting.
I was awarded a Clinical Teaching Excellence Award in 2012 from the University of Leeds School of Medicine.
I joined the lecturing staff in the School of Pharmacy in 2012, initially in temporary posts covering various maternity leaves. My permanent part time contract has led to programme development, having been interim programme leader in 2015-16 for the Post-Graduate Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy (Secondary Care). I am currently module leader for the second year module (Applied Therapeutics).
- Bachelor of Science - Pharmacy (Sunderland Polytechnic) 1983
- Advanced Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy Teaching (University of Leeds) 1994 Master of Education (University of Leeds) - 1999
- 2012 to Present - Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice (part time)
- 2015 to 2016 - Interim Programme Leader (Maternity leave cover) - Post-graduate Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy (Secondary Care)
- 2010 to Present - Lead Pharmacist (Education & Training) - Airedale NHS Foundation Trust (part time)
- 1990 - 2010 - Clinical Pharmacy Services Manager - Airedale NHS Foundation Trust (part time from 1996)
- 1988 - 1990 - Staff Pharmacist - Airedale General Hospital
- 1986 - 1988 - Resident Pharmacist - Airedale General Hospital
- 1984 - 1986 - Basic Grade Pharmacist - York District Hospital
- 1983 - 1984 - Pre-registration Pharmacist - Huddersfield Royal Infirmary
- Member of the General Pharmaceutical Council
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
Clements D, McKinney A. A system for prescribing oral potassium supplements. Clinical Medicine (London, England). 2008; 8:466-7.