Dr Reza Abdi
|Department||School of Management|
|Feedback Hours||Thursday 11:00-13:00|
|Telephone||+44 (0)1274 235678|
|Visit my LinkedIn profile|
Research Interests (key words only)
Decision Spoort Systems, Manufacturing Systems, Operations and Production Management
Successful competition of eight PhD/DBA projects supervision.
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Decision Support for Sustainability
- Fundamentals of Decision Support
- Decision Support A
- Decision Support B
- Programme Leader
Dr Abdi has 20 years of academic and industrial experience and consultancy in the areas of production and operations management, supply chain management, decision support systems, manufacturing systems, environment management, and humanitarian operation management. He has extensive experience in the areas of computer modeling and simulation, multi-criteria decision modeling, analytical hierarchical process (AHP), analytical network process (ANP), fuzzy logic, Markov chains, and systems dynamics. Dr Abdi has published a number of highly cited peer reviewed journal articles, two research books (in process), and several book chapters and 30+ papers in international conference proceedings in the area of operations management and reconfigurable manufacturing, and environment management.
Dr Abdi has successfully completed supervision of 8 doctoral theses and completed a number of innovative technology projects in the area of supply chain management and lean manufacturing, computer simulation, data mining, quality management and six sigma, information management, and environment management.
Dr Abdi’s current research is involved with reconfigurable manufacturing system and supply chain considering environmental impacts. He has recently involved with textile industries, mainly on designing sustainable and social responsible textile supply chains, evaluation of alternative manufacturing systems and technologies such as 3D printing adoption for design-manufacture, evaluation of power generation systems considering renewal energy sources through multi criteria decision analysis, and evaluation of water saving approaches and reduction of wastewater in textile industries.
Areas for collaboration with Businesses, Industries and Society include:
- Efficient and sustainable manufacturing- system design and modeling
- Sustainable supply chains featuring a circular economy
- Supply chain and risk management
- Sustainability in textile manufacturing- water and energy efficiency
- Developing business models incorporating/integrating textile design, manufacture, and technologies for competitive advantage
- Humanitarian Operation Management
University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology 2000 – 2003
PhD in Manufacturing Engineering and Production Management
The University of Liverpool 1998 – 2000
MPhil in Manufacturing Engineering and Industrial Management
University of Tarbiat Modares 1987 - 1990
MSc in Industrial Engineering
Higher Education Teaching Certificate 1989- 1990
Isfahan University of Technology 1983 – 1987
BSc in Industrial Engineering,
University of Bradford 2006 - 2007
Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCHE)
- University of Bradford School of Management (2004- present)
Lecturer in the field of Operations and Information Management dealing with the following duties:
- Principal member of Programme Approval and Review Team (PART) at University of Bradford since 2009
- Programme Leader of M.Sc. Applied Management and Sustainability and of M.Sc. Applied Management and Enterprise 2013-present
- Acting Director of DBA Programme at University of Bradford School of Management , 2012
- International network coordinator for Bradford Centre for Sustainable Environments, 2010-12
- Taught a number of modules in Ph.D. (modules 5 & 6): Quantitative Methods, and Operations Management, M.Sc: Decision Support for Sustainability, MBA: Business Research, and three different UG modules in Decision Support and Quantitative Methods for Managers.
- Developing computer based decision analysis using computer labs using Excel Solver, DecisionPro and SuperDecision for four PG/UG modules in decision support.
- External examiner: Middlesex University, London (appointed from 2005-2010 ): UG and PG Programmes in Business and Management
- Arvin Meritor (Birmingham, U.K.), Consultancy in Manufacturing System Design, Feb 2001- Dec 2002
- University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), Computer Lab Tutor, Sep 2001- Oct 2003
- University Electronic and Computer Research Centre, Associate Manger, 1992-1995
- City Rail (Metro), Consultant of the Metro maintenance management, 1995-1997
- Lecturer in industrial Engineering, Semnan University, 1992 – 1997
- Head of Education Department, Semnan University, 1994 – 1995
- ICI Communication Industry, Head of Production Planning & Inventory Control Unit, 1987- 1990
- Editorial board member of International Journal of Information and Computer Science, American Journal of Operations Research, Middle East Journal of Management, ISRN Industrial Engineering, International Journal of Management Excellence, Journal of Management Review.
- External examiner for a number of Ph.D. candidates in UK universities including University of Manchester and University of Exeter, and Nottingham Trent University.
- Regular reviewer of large research grant applications and research fellowship proposals for Research Council for Natural Science and Engineering, Academy of Finland
- The international network coordinator for Bradford Centre for Sustainable Environments.
- Delivering keynote speeches and paper presentations in national and international conferences and seminars such as World Manufacturing Forum 2011- Innovation in Global Manufacturing, ICIMT 2011, ISAI 2011, Annual Congress of World U-World – 2011. ICMIE 2012.
- Acting as a general chair and a member of the programme committee for a number of international conferences including ICIMT 2010, EUROMA (2005, 2007), POMS (2015), ISAI 2011, IAMOT 2009, ICECS 2009, ISAI 2010, ICIIC 2011, GCSE 2011, ICCEN 2011, ICIIM 2012, World Annual Advanced Materials Conference WCAM-2012. ICIMT 2012, ICCIE 2013, EUOR (2015, session chair)
- Regular reviewer of peer reviewed international journals including IJPR, IJPE, SCM an international Journal, ORS
Production and operations management, supply chain management, decision support systems, manufacturing systems, environment management, and humanitarian operation management. He has extensive experience in the areas of computer modeling and simulation, multi-criteria decision modeling, analytical hierarchical process (AHP), analytical network process (ANP), fuzzy logic, Markov chains, and systems dynamics. Dr Abdi has published a number of highly cited peer reviewed journal articles, two research books (in process), and several book chapters and 30+ papers in international conference proceedings in the area of operations management and reconfigurable manufacturing, and environment management.
- Application of Reconfigurable Manufacturing Systems (RMS), using facilities and information exchange, the NSF Engineering Research Center for Reconfigurable Manufacturing Systems (ERC/RMS), University of Michigan, US, 2002- present.
- Products and Systems Co-evolution methodologies for adaptive, flexible, reconfigurable and changeable systems using iFactories, the Intelligent Manufacturing Systems (IMS) Center, the University of Windsor, Canada, 2014-present.
- Water management in textile industry, The Association of Iran Textile Industries, Iran Chamber of Commerce, Mines, Industry and Agriculture, Tehran, 2014- present.
- Integrated software for reliability analysis of manufacturing systems, Centre for Maintenance Optimization and Reliability Engineering (C-MORE), Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto, 2014-present.
- Adaptive water management, Research Centre of Energy Planning and Management, Tehran, 2011-present.
- Group Decision Making and application of Analytical Hierarchical Process & Analytical Network Process, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Tehran, Karaj, 2010-present.
- Energy and Social Development, CBS- Center for Business in Society, IESE Business School, University of Navarra, Barcelona, Spain, 2014-present.
- SMEs Business in Middle East, World Franchise Link, Barcelona, Spain, 2014-present.
- Performance management systems and a feasibility study on adaptation of reconfigurable manufacturing for automotive industries. A case of Yazaki, September 2014-present.
- A systematic approach to evaluate an investment in a waste heat to power system for a glass manufacturing plant Guardians, Goole, UK, 2013.
- Identifying and refreshing key performance indictors via cost-profit base operation system to human based operation via introducing a new Pearl Scheme, Four Seasons Healthcare Limited (FSHC) (healthcare industry), a major UK healthcare provider, 2010.
- Developing a business performance model for products and services based on Total Quality Management (TQM), Dubai Holding Group (estate industry), Emirates, 2010.
- Feasibility study for supplying scrap iron from UK to SE Asia destination mainly Pakistan along with identifying the best and cheapest mode of transportation from UK, Programme Management Services Ltd (consultancy industry), 2010.
- Reconfiguring the production and supply chain strategy to adapt to new China (from order-based manufacturing to warehousing Tolo Toys Europe B.V, (manufacturing industry), China, 2008-10.
- Providing predictive and responsive repairs and maintenance services for social landlords via simulation, Incommunities Group Ltd. (housing industry), Bradford, UK, 2009.
- Redesign and modelling of manufacturing systems, transferring the customer-based production lines to product- based production lines via product standardisation. Arvin Meritor (automotive industry), Birmingham, UK, 2002-2005.
- Developing a manufacturing strategy to optimise the process validation of the existing product portfolios in compliance with validation policies and attain a prioritised product list according to the available equipments, 2005-7. Rosemont Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (pharmaceutical industry), Leeds, UK.
- Developing an information management system to cope with disruptions in flight operations, Emirates, 2007- 8.
- Proposing a hub strategy for Emirates' Dubai hub, Emirates Airline, 2008.
- Institution of Engineering and Technology of Electrical Engineer (IET)
- International Association of Computer Science and Information Technology (IACSIT), Senior Member since 2009
- British Academy of Management (BAM)
- European Operations Management Association (EUROMA)
- Production and Operations Management Society (POMS)
- Abdi, M.R. and Labib, A. 2017, RMS capacity utilisation: product family and supply chain, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 55, No. 7, 1930--195627, doi: 10.1080/00207543.2016.1229066.
- Garza-Reyes, J.A, AL-Shboul, M., Abdi, M.R. 2017, The Effect of Supply Chain Management Practices on Supply Chain and Manufacturing Firms’ Performance, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, In press.
- Izogo, E.E., Abdi, M.R., Ogba,I.E., Oraedu, C. 2017, Determinants of Relationship quality and customer loyalty in retail banking: Evidence from Nigeria, African Journal of Economic and Management Studies, Vol. 8 Issue: 2, pp.186-204, doi: 10.1108/AJEMS-01-2016-0011.
- Hosseinzadeh, O., Hajjarian, M., Abdi, M.R. 2017, Strategic Planning for Poplar Farming Development using Analytic Network Process, Iranian Journal of Wood and Paper Industries, the official journal of Iranian Scientific Association of Wood and Paper, accepted for publication.
- Delavari-Edalat, F. and Abdi, M. R. 2015, Constraints on the Adoption of Adaptive Water Management Principles: the Case of Greater Tehran, Water Resources Management, Vol. 29, No. 15, pp 5569-5591.
- Abdi M.R. Labib A., Delavari Edatalt F., 2017, Integrated Reconfigurable Manufacturing Systems and Smart Value Chain: Sustainable Infrastructure for the Factory of the Future, Springer International Publishing AG, Switzerland, (the draft planned to be submitted by September 2017).
The scholarly research monograph is concerned with Industry 4.0 and reflects the system design requirements of factory of the future. The book reflects reconfigurable manufacturing system and technology, sustainability, and circular economy (value chain) with application of decision support systems.
- Delavari Edalat, F. and Abdi, M.R., 2017, Adaptive Water Management: Concepts and Applications in an Urban Context, International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, Springer International Publishing AG, Switzerland, ISBN 978-3-319-64143-0.
The scholarly book is a multi disciplinary research monograph concerned with water resources and consumption management and the theory and application of management science (decision support systems). It is fitted within the fields of environment sustainability in terms of water resources with management decision making.
- Abdi, M. R., Delavari Edalat, F., Abumusa, S. 2016, Lean and Agile Supply Chain Management: A case of IT Distribution Industry in the Middle East, Green and Lean Management, Carolina Feliciana Machado and J. Paulo Davim (Ed.), pp. 37-69. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-44909-8_3, Print ISBN,978-3-319-44907-4, Springer International Publishing
- Abdi, M.R. and Khojaste, Y. 2015, Subcontractors - Supply Chain Management, Routledge Handbook of Japanese Business and Management, Haghirian, P. (Ed), Rutledge. ISBN 9780415734189. 424 pages, Tokyo, Japan,| 35 B/W Illus.
- Abdi, M. R., Elliot, L., & Edalat, F. D. 2015. Strategic Business Plan Based on Total Quality Management for Property-Marketing Small Enterprises in UK. In N. Baporikar (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Entrepreneurship in the Contemporary Knowledge-Based Global Economy (pp. 509-527). Hershey, PA: Business Science Reference. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-8798-1.ch021, IGI Global.
- Abdi, M.R. 2014, Chapter contribution (questions and answers), Business Intelligence and Analytics: Systems for Decision Support, Global Edition, 10/E, Turban D., Sharda, D., and Delen D., ISBN-10: 1292009209 • ISBN-13: 9781292009209©2015,688 pp, Published 27 Mar 2014. Pearson, UK.
- Yorkshire Universities Textile Group