Artificial Intelligence Research Group
The AI Research (AIRe) Group, one of the largest in terms of academic staff and research students numbers in the university, conducts research funded by the BBSRC, EPSRC, TSB and EC, as well as industry sponsors.
The members' research is focused on machine learning, information representation and integration, data mining, knowledge discovery with applications in data governance, health care, (privacy in) web databases and social networks, chemo- and bio-informatics, business intelligence, decision support systems, operations research and education.
These expertise areas are built on active interdisciplinary collaborations with research groups from university Faculties, as well as with a range with UK and international research centres.
- Machine learning
- Information representation and integration
- Data mining
- Knowledge discovery with applications in data governance
- Health care
- (Privacy in) web databases and social networks
- Chemo-and bio-informatics
- Business intelligence
- Decision support systems
- Operations research and education
Apply for a research opportunity
We'll be pleased to receive expressions of interest from prospective research students and visiting researchers.
You can apply for a research degree using an online form or a paper document.
For full details see our How to Apply pages on our postgraduate web pages.
Research Areas Include:
- The investigation, modelling and solution of real-world scheduling and optimisation problems in partnership with commercial, scientific and governmental collaborators
- The investigation of tailored and general-purpose models, algorithms, heuristics, metaheuristics and evolutionary algorithms, and hyperheuristics
- The development of flexible and easy-to-use decision support technologies, such as modelling languages, object libraries and graphical user interfaces
- The application of artificial intelligence (AI) to create challenging artificial game opponents
- Investigation of machine learning approaches for real-time intelligent control
- Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
- Data Mining in Biomedical Science