Mr Patrick Ryan
|Position||Interim Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences|
|Location||Ashfield Building, T1.3|
|Department||Peace Studies and International Development|
|Telephone||+44 (0) 01274 235251|
Research Interests (key words only)
1. Microfinance, small enterprise credit and private sector development. 2. Effectiveness of development assistance projects and programmes. 3. Investment appraisal and the social return on investment
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Project Planning Design and Appraisal (PPDA) – Postgraduate 20 credit core-course - delivered annually since 1995.
- Microfinance and Poverty Alleviation – Postgraduate 20 credit core-course.
- Investment Appraisal and Project Managements (2010-12) – Postgraduate Certificate in Investment Appraisal and Project Management for 30 African Development Bank Young Professionals.
- Associate Dean: Partnerships and Knowledge Transfer, Faculty of Social Sciences
- Director of African Development Bank/University of Bradford, Postgraduate Certificate Programme
- MA (Econ) Development Studies, University of Manchester Sept’ 1984 – Sept’ 1985
- BSc (Hons.) Business and Administration, University of Salford Sept’ 1976 - July 1979
Long term posts:
- 1990 – Present – Senior Lecturer, University of Bradford.
- 1988 - Lusaka, Zambia – UNIDO Small Scale Industry Financing Advisor -Attached to Small Industries Development Organisation (SIDO) of Zambia (6 Months).
- 1986 to 1988 – Malawi - Small Enterprise Development Organisation of Malawi - Small Enterprise Technical Advisor - European Commission funded Technical Assistance (2 years)
- 1982 – 1984 Papua New Guinea - Eastern Highlands Provincial Government - Provincial Financial Advisor to the Eastern Highlands Provincial Government, Papua New Guinea.
- 1979 - 1981 St Vincent, West Indies - Technical advisor to the Ministry of Finance and the St Vincent Development Corporation and the St Vincent Agricultural Co-operative Bank.
Membership of Professional Bodies:
Development Studies Association of the UK & Ireland
- Investment Appraisal and Project Managements (2010-12) – annual delivery of Postgraduate Certificate in Investment Appraisal and Project Management (3 modules) for 30 African Development Bank Young Professionals.
- Ryan, P., Lyne, I. 2008. Social enterprise and the measurement of social value: methodological issues with the calculation and application of the social return on investment. Education, Knowledge & Economy. Vol. 2, No. 3, November 2008, 223-237
- Toner, A., I. Lyne, and Ryan, P. 2008. Reaching the Promised Land: Can social enterprise reduce social exclusion and empower communities? Education, Knowledge & Economy 2, no. 1: 1-14
- Ryan, P. 2007, The Implications of the ‘One Size Fits All’ Microfinance Lending Model on Enterprise Formation and Growth: An Analysis of the Liquidity Problems of Microenterprise in Uganda. Journal of Research in Accounting in Emerging Economies, Vol 7, p. 305-328, 2007
Edited Book & Chapter:
- Ryan, P, Potts, D. & Toner, A. (Eds.) Development Planning and Poverty Reduction’, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003.
- Ryan, P. & Toner, A., “From Projects to Budget Support: A Fundamental Shift or Transitory Fashion?” Chapter 3, in Development Planning and Poverty Reduction’, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003
Conference Presentations (selected):
- Ryan, P. 2008. Social enterprise and the measurement of social value: methodological issues with the calculation and application of the social return on investment. Conference on: Regeneration and Wellbeing: Research into Practice, University of Bradford, 24-25 April 2008