Professor Edward Mallen
|Position||Head of School of Optometry and Vision Science|
|Location||F3, Richmond building|
|Department||Bradford School of Optometry and Vision Sciences|
|Telephone||+44 (0) 1274 236231|
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
Ed teaches mainly on the second year of the optometry degree programme.
He is coordinator for the modules in:
- Clinical Optometry and Communication Skills
- General and Ocular Pharmacology
He went to Aston University in 1999 to conduct research in myopia under the supervision of Professor Bernard Gilmartin and Dr James Wolffsohn, and was awarded the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
Ed joined the Bradford optometry staff in 2003.
Ed studied optometry at Aston University, and completed pre-registration training in private optometric practice in Worcestershire.
- Vice President, The College of Optometrists
Ed's primary research interests are the development of refractive error, accommodation control, neural adaptation to blur, and adaptive optics.
His research work has received financial support from:
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- The Federation of Ophthalmic and Dispensing Opticians
- The Faculty of Life Sciences
- The College of Optometrists
- The Visual Research Trust