Dr Matt Cufflin
|Location||F12, Richmond building|
|Department||Bradford School of Optometry and Vision Science|
|Telephone||+44 (0) 1274 234650|
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
Module Tutor: Visual Impairment and Rehabilitation (Stage 3)
Module Tutor: General and Ocular Pharmacology (Stage 3)
Involved in supervision of practical sessions in Clinical Optometry & Communication Skills (Stage 2) and Primary Care Clinics (Stage 3)
Matt graduated from the University of Bradford in 2003 with a BSc in Optometry and became a member of the College of Optometrists in 2004. He was awarded the College prize for his performance in the professional qualifying exams.
In 2008 Matt completed his PhD entitled “Blur Adaptation Effects on Accommodation in Myopes and Emmetropes”, under the supervision of Dr E. Mallen, Dr C. Hazel and Prof W. Douthwaite.
Matt completed his pre-registration training with Conlons Opticians in Leigh, Greater Manchester in 2004. Since gaining his PhD Matt has worked in a variety of roles including as a postdoctoral research assistant in the Visual Optics research group, an optometric adviser for NHS Kirklees and the clinical editor of Optometry Today TV.
He was appointed as a lecturer in May 2011, and is also a specialist optometrist in the AMD treatment clinic at York Hospital.
Matt’s primary areas of research interest are the response of the visual system to defocus, the ocular accommodation response and optical imaging.
He currently supervises two PhD students (Ms Kiren Aziz and Mr Alistair Curd).
- Mankowska A.M., Cufflin M.P., Aziz K. Whitaker D., Mallen E.A.H. Effect of Blur Adaptation on Human Parafoveal Vision. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2012: 53: 1145-1150
- Alderson, A., Mankowska, A., Cufflin, M., Mallen, E. Simultaneous measurement of objective refraction, accommodation response and axial length of the human eye. Ophth Physiol Opt 2011: 31: 100-8
- Cufflin, M.P. and Mallen, E.A., Dynamic accommodation responses following adaptation to defocus. Optom Vis Sci 2008: 85: 982-91
- Cufflin, M.P., Mankowska, A. and Mallen, E.A., Effect of blur adaptation on blur sensitivity and discrimination in emmetropes and myopes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 2007: 48: 2932-9
- Cufflin, M.P., Hazel, C.A. and Mallen, E.A., Static accommodative responses following adaptation to differential levels of blur. Ophth Physiol Opt, 2007: 27: 353-60