Dr Julie Morgan
|Position||Senior Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice|
|Location||N22, Richmond Building|
|Department||Bradford School of Pharmacy|
|Telephone||+44 (0) 1274 234766|
Research Interests (key words only)
Medicines management & medicines optimisation; influencing prescribing; medicines safety; pharmacy service evaluation; pharmacy education
PhD (completed): Dr Rachel Urban – thesis title "Medicines Reconciliation: Roles and Process"
DPharm (completed): Dr Toby Capstick – thesis title "The effectiveness of pharmacist interventions in improving asthma control and quality of life in patients with difficult asthma"
PhD (in progress): Ms Sarah Khan – project "Improving the process and outcomes of medicines reconciliation at hospital admission"
DPharm (in progress): Mrs Liz Miller – project "A mixed methods investigation of community pharmacists’ delivery of palliative care services"
DPharm (in progress): Mr Paul Kendrew – project "A Study of a Pharmacist led medication optimisation service for patients with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) in Primary care"
DPharm (in progress): Mr Michael Jackson – project "Factors that influence medication taking and outcomes in patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH)"
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
Therapeutics (particularly cardiovascular & upper respiratory tract); consultation skills; medicines optimisation; clinical audit; pharmacy service provision; minor ailments management / responding to symptoms; dispensing/ prescription processing.
- Director of Learning & Teaching, School of Pharmacy
- Member of Pharmacy Leadership Board
- Chair of Pharmacy Learning & Teaching Committee
- Chair, MPharm Board of Examiners
I gained my PhD in 2001 and my thesis was "The Role of the Practice Pharmacist in the Promotion of Evidence Based Prescribing". This research focussed on evaluation of the impact of Practice Pharmacist implementing prescribing guidelines, medication review and intervention to reduce benzodiazepine prescribing.
I have since supervised approximately 60 Pharmacy undergraduate students undertaking research projects linked to medicines management/optimisation and community pharmacy development. I have supervised 5 MSc students to completion, on a range of topics linked to optimising use of medication and medicines-related safety. I have additionally been involved in the supervision of 6 doctoral students, the details of which are listed above.
I have also undertaken small-scale projects in pharmacy education plan to become more involved in this type of research.
- 2006 University of Bradford Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Practice (with Distinction)
- 2001 University of Bradford PhD
- 1995 University of Bradford Bachelor of Pharmacy BPharm (with First Class Honours)
- Director of Learning & Teaching, School of Pharmacy, University of Bradford (2014 – present)
- Senior Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy, University of Bradford (2011 – present)
- Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy, University of Bradford (2009 - 2011)
- Lecturer-Practitioner in Primary Care Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, University of Bradford (2001 - 2009)
- Head of Community Pharmacy Development, Bradford & Airedale PCT (2007 - 2009)
- Pharmaceutical Advisor, Bradford South & West PCT (2001 - 2007)
- Practice research pharmacist, Bradford Multiwave Fundholders (1997 - 2001)
- Part-time locum pharmacist (1997 - 2002)
- Pharmacy Manager, Tesco Pharmacy, Bradford (1996 - 1997)
- Full-time locum pharmacist (1995 - 1996)
- Member General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) (membership number 2043565)
- Member Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS) (membership number 88879)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Member RPS Academic Pharmacists Group
- Member Primary Care Pharmacists Association (PCPA)
- Compliant with GPhC requirements for continuing professional development (CPD)
- Medicines optimisation
- Medicines safety
- Pharmacy education
- Bradford Institute for Health Research (BIHR); Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust; Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Johnston JR, Morgan JD, Hartley AS. MPharm Integrated Assessment – what have we learned? 2nd Annual Pharmacy Education Conference, University of Manchester, June 2015
- Urban R, Armitage G, Morgan J, Marshall K, Blenkinsopp A, Scally A. Custom and practice: a multi-centre study of medicines reconciliation in four acute hospitals in the UK. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 2014; 10:355-368
- Urban R, Paloumpi E, Rana N, Morgan J. Communicating medication changes to community pharmacy post-discharge: the good, the bad, and the improvements. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy. 2013 Oct;35(5):813-20
- Urban R, Rana N, Paloumpi E, Morgan J. Medication Changes: Who Do Community Pharmacies in England Receive Information From? International Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2013, 21 (Suppl. 2): 110
- Urban RL, Armitage G, Morgan J, Marshall K, Blenkinsopp A. Communicating about medication: Who, what, where, when, how? International Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2013, 21 (Suppl. 1): 20-21
- Urban R, Armitage G, Morgan J, Marshall K. Is electronic discharge the answer? International Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2012, 20 (Suppl 2): 40-41
- Morgan JD. Blackboard: Are students & tutors like chalk and cheese? 9th Annual Learning, Teaching & Assessment Conference, University of Bradford, June 2010
- Morgan JD, Cheung KWY, Thorp FC. How can Primary Care Organisations better support the development of community pharmacy? Pharmaceutical Journal 2010;284:478-481 (published 15/5/10)