Brake Research Publications
- D Bryant, N Ashraf, JD Fieldhouse “Investigation of Brake Pad Vibration Under Dynamic Squeal Conditions” EuroBrake 2012, Dresden 16 -18 April 2012 Paper Ref EB2012-NVH-06.
- D Bryant, J D Fieldhouse, C J Talbot “Brake Judder – An investigation of the thermo-elastic and thermo-plastic effects during braking”. Special Issue on Brake Noise for the International Journal of Vehicle Structures & Systems 2011, ISSN 0975-3060; Online ISSN 0975-3540.
- Fieldhouse, J., Bryant, D., and Talbot, C., "The Influence of Pad Abutment on Brake Noise Generation," SAE 2011 Noise and Vibration Conference and Exhibition, Grand Rapids, MI, USA, 2011-01-1577, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-1577.
- Shi, John Z., Legate, I., Gu, Fengshou, Fieldhouse, John D. and Ball, Andrew (2010) Prediction of antilock braking system condition with the vehicle stationary using a model-based approach. International Journal of Automotive Technology, 11 (3). pp. 363-373. ISSN 1229-9138 (Impact Factor 0.517).
- N. Mirza, K Hussain, A J Day, J Klaps, “An assessment of steering drift during braking: a comparison between finite-element and rigid body analyses” Proc. IMechE, Part K: J. Multi-Body Dynamics, 2010, 224 (K3), 307-317. DOI: 10.1243/14644193JMBD230.
- N. Mirza, K. Hussain, A.J. Day, J. Klaps, “Effect of component stiffness and deformation on vehicle lateral drift during braking”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Part D - Journal of Automobile Engineering, 2009, Vol. 223, pp.9 - 22.
- Fieldhouse, John D., Ashraf, Naveed and Talbot, Chris J. (2009) Measurement of the dynamic centre of pressure of the disc/pad interface during a braking operation. International Journal of Vehicle Design, 51 (1/2). pp. 73-104. ISSN 0143-3369, Inderscience publishers, Impact Factor 0.480.
- E. Palmer and R. Mishra, J. Fieldhouse, ‘An Optimisation Study of a Multiple Row Pin Vented Brake Disc to Promote Brake Cooling using CFD, IMechE Journal Part D 223 (7). pp. 865-875. ISSN 0954-4070.
- JD Fieldhouse, WP Steel, CJ Talbot “The measurement of the absolute displacement of a noisy disc brake”. Proc. IMechE, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, July 2008 Vol 222 D7 ISSN 0954-4070 Special Issue Publication “Automotive Brakes” – pp. 1121 - 1140.
- E Palmer, R Mishra, J Fieldhouse, "A Computational analysis on the Effect of Front Row Pin Geometry on the Aero-thermodynamic Properties of a Pin Vented Brake Disc", Proc. IMechE, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, July 2008 Vol 222 D7 ISSN 0954-4070, special Issue Publication “Automotive Brakes” – pp. 1231 - 1246. (Impact Factor 0.4).
- Hussain K., Yang S.H., Day A.J., “A study of commercial vehicle brake judder transmission using multi-body dynamic analysis”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Part K - Journal of Multi-body Dynamics, 2007, Vol. 221, pp. 311-318.
- SAE 2007 Transactions, Fieldhouse JD, Ashraf N, Talbot CJ "Dynamic Centre of Pressure Measurements", SAE Ref 2007-01-3960, as presented at the Brake Colloquium & Engineering Display, October 7-10, 2007, Orlando, FL, USA.
- Mirza, N., Hussain, K., Day, A.J,, Klaps, J., "Investigation of the dynamic characteristics of suspension parameters on a vehicle experiencing steering drift during braking", Proc IMechE, 2005, Part D, vol 219, pp. 1429-1441.
- Klaps, J.; Day, A.J., "Steering drift and wheel movement during braking: static and dynamic measurements", Proc IMechE, 2005, Part D, vol 219, pp. 11-19.
- Klaps, J., Day, A.J., "Steering drift and wheel movement during braking - parameter sensitivity studies", Proc. IMechE, 2003, Part D, Vol. 217, pp. 1107 - 1115.
- JD Fieldhouse and WP Steel “A study of brake noise and the influence of the Centre of pressure at the disc/pad interface, the coefficient of friction and calliper mounting geometry”. Journal of Automotive Engineering, Professional Engineering (PE) Volume 217, 28 October 2003, D11, p957 -973.
- Chris Talbot and John D Fieldhouse “Fourier analysis of holographic data from a noisy disc brake and its implications for modelling”. Journal of Automotive Engineering, Professional Engineering (PE) Publishing. Volume 217, 28 October 2003, D11, p 957 –973.
- Talbot C & Fieldhouse JD “Animations of a Disc Brake Generating Noise” Volume 110, Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems, Section 6, pages 2391-2397. SAE 19th International Brake Colloquium and Engineering Display October 2001, New Orleans. SAE Ref P-364, Paper number 2001-01-3126 ISBN 0-7680-0823-9 pp23-30.
- A Study of the Interface Pressure Distribution Between Pad and Rotor, the Coefficient of Friction and Calliper Mounting Geometry with Regard to Brake Noise" Brakes 2000 International Conference on Automotive Braking. Leeds July 10 – 12 2000 ISBN: 1-86058-261-3, pp3 – 18. MEP, IMechE Crompton Lanchester Medal & Certificate.
- Journal - Vibration and Shock “Self excited brake noise investigation using the technique of classical holographic interferometry.” presented at the First International Conference on Vibration Measurements by Laser Techniques: Advances and Applications. 3-5 October 1994 Ancona, Italy. Published by John Wiley and Sons.
- Kim, S.Y., and Day A.J., "Noise propensity design analysis of an S-cam drum brake", SAE 961014, SAE Congress 26 - 29 February 1996, Detroit, U.S.A.
- Kim, S.Y., and Day A.J., "Noise and vibration analysis of an S-cam drum brake", Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. Vol. 210, Part D, 1996, pp. 35 - 43.
- Day, A.J., Tirovic, M., Newcomb, T.P., "Thermal effects and pressure distributions in brakes", Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 205, Part D, 1991, pp. 199 - 205.
- Tirovic, M., Day, A.J., "Disc brake interface pressure distributions", Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 205, Part D, 1991, pp. 137 - 146.
- Day, A.J., "Drum brake interface pressure distributions", Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 205, Part D, 1991, pp. 127 - 136.
- Day, A.J., and Ahsi A.B., "Heat flow and temperatures in friction material during braking", Proc. 17th Leeds-Lyon symposium on Tribology, pp. 183 - 191, Leeds 1990, Elsevier 1991.
- Day, A.J., “An analysis of speed, temperature, and performance characteristics of automotive drum brakes", Trans. ASME, Jour Tribology, April 1988, Vol. 110, pp. 298 - 305.
- Day, A.J., Harding, P.R.J., and Newcomb, T.P., "Combined thermal and mechanical analysis of drum brakes", Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 198D, No. 15, 1984, pp. 287 - 294.
- Day, A.J. and Newcomb, T.P., "The dissipation of frictional energy from the interface of an annular disc brake", Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 198D, No. 11, 1984, pp. 201 - 209. (Gresham Cooke Award 1984).
- Harding, P.R.J., and Day, A.J., “Instability in the Hand-brake performance of cars and vans", Proc. I. Mech. E., 1981, vol. 195, no. 27, pp. 325 - 333. (Starley Premium Award 1982)
- Day, A.J., and Harding, P.R.J., " Performance Variation of Cam-operated Drum Brakes", Conf. Braking of Road Vehicles, I. Mech. E., 1983, paper C10/83, pp. 60 - 77.
- Day, A.J., Harding, P.R.J., and Newcomb, T.P., “A Finite Element Approach to Drum Brake Analysis", Proc. I. Mech. E., 1979, vol. 193, pp. 401 - 406.
Automotive Research Centre
University of Bradford
Professor Felician Campean
Automotive Research Centre Director
Tel: +44(0)1274 234569