STEM Activities for Schools and Colleges
The University of Bradford STEM team offers a range of activities that can be arranged to be delivered at your school or in our state of the art STEM centre on the main campus at the University of Bradford.
Chemistry: Spectroscopy in a Suitcase (SIAS)
This Royal Society of Chemistry programme introduces the principles of spectroscopic techniques and gives pupils the chance to experience hands-on applications of spectroscopic techniques from forensics to the synthesis of pharmaceuticals.
Pupils get the chance to use IR, UV, NMR and visual spectrometers.
- Age range: 14 - 18
- Subject area: Chemistry, Pharmacy
- Group size: 10 - 30 pupils per session
- Session time: variable depending on lab session 1-5 hours
- More information
Workshops and after school clubs using Lego Mindstorms kits building towards the First Lego championship.
- Suitable for all ages
- Group size: 10 - 100 pupils per session
- Subject areas: Physics, Engineering, Computer Programming
- Session length: variable 1 - 5 hours
Particle Physics Workshop
Particle detection gives secondary schools the opportunity to become engaged in university-level physics research using a real piece of detector technology developed with the Langton Star Centre for CERN@school.
Build your own cloud chamber and work out the charge/mass ratio of an electron.
- Age range: 14-18
- Group size 10 - 30 pupils per session
- Subject area: Physics
- Session length: 1½ hours
Supergrid: Green Energy Workshop
Hands-on renewable energies technology workshop.
Full day activity for a whole class split into teams competing against the clock and against each other.
Who can produce energy from wind power and sell it for the lowest price?
- Age range: 11-18
- Group size 10 - 40 pupils per session
- Subject areas: Mathematics, Engineering
- Session length: variable 30 minute taster - full day competition
Find Out More
- Bookings for school and college groups can be made by contacting Janet Smith-Harrison, Email - firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel 01274 232231