School of Social Sciences
The School of Social Sciences at the University of Bradford is recognised internationally for its research and teaching across the social sciences. We have a wealth of knowledge and expertise in International Development and Political Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies, Psychology, Criminal Justice, and Social Work and Social Care.
Our research centres are known throughout the world for providing cutting edge applied research and we work closely with governments, public bodies and multilateral organisations including the United Nations, the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the European Commission, the Quakers, and others.
We offer a unique range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes that offer excellent learning and employability opportunities to our students. Our mission is to provide a research informed education environment that embraces a commitment to excellence in teaching and an applied contribution to social and economic issues at local, regional, national and global levels.
About Social Sciences
- Social Sciences has a body of more than 2500 students making us the second largest Faculty in the University in terms of Staff and Student numbers
- Social Sciences enjoys a strong track record of success not only in terms of the completion rates of its students, but also in terms the onward trajectories of many of our student into worthwhile careers. Over one quarter of our students come from outside UK
- People from more than 120 countries have studied in Social Sciences since 1969
- More than 50 course combinations are available in development, economics, humanities, international relations, peace studies, psychology and social work
- Social Sciences possesses high quality staff with real - world experience which informs every aspect of our teaching
- Small group teaching is an important feature of study in the Faculty
- Careful design of our teaching methods which focus on enhancing transferable skills of our students, covering everything from study visits and teamwork to research, and from presentation skills to report writing
- We have one of the leading university-based centres for studying Development
- Our Economics courses offer a range of flexible degrees which allow students to study economics in depth or in combination with related business and social sciences subjects
- Peace Studies at Bradford is the largest university centre in the world devoted exclusively to the study of peace and conflict
- Courses offered by Psychology are accredited by the British Psychological Society as conferring eligibility for Graduate Membership of the Society with the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership
- The Faculty was among the first to develop postgraduate courses in the field of social work
Our Mission & About us
To find out more about the Faculty from our students, please visit the section 'Why study with Us?'