Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Most frequently asked questions

What are the start dates?

You can start your study at the beginning of the following months:

  • October
  • January

How long does a PhD take?

 Normal minimum period of registrationMinimum period with approval from RDC and submission of completed thesisNormal maximum period of registration including writing-up period
Full-time doctorate 3 years 2 years 4 years
Part-time doctorate 4 years 3 years 7 years

Entry requirements

For the degrees of Doctor of Philosophy

  • First or upper-second class degree of Bachelor at an approved university or institution
  • A higher degree at an approved university or institution
  • Exceptionally, candidates with lower than above but with experience and training as suitable preparation

Candidates for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy now register directly on the Doctor of Philosophy award.

For the degree of Master of Philosophy

  • Degree of Bachelor at an approved university or institution
  • Professional qualification approved by the Faculty Research Postgraduate Degrees Sub-Committee and suitable general education and training
  • Exceptionally, candidates with less than above but able to give satisfactory evidence of having obtained adequate standard of knowledge may be accepted by the Faculty Postgraduate Research Degrees Sub-Committee

Conditions for acceptance

Applicants are required to present an outline proposal, which indicates the research area, demonstrates a grasp of pertinent theoretical literature and/or debates, posts a credible hypothesis or research question and indicates the means by which the research will be conducted.  Further guidance can be found here - Research Proposal Guidance

Applicants who do not have English as a first language must obtain at least a 6.5 in their IELTS scores, or have completed a degree in which the language of instruction is English.  

In addition to a strong proposal, the criteria for considering the suitability of a PhD application include all of the following factors: the quality of prior degrees (including dissertation scores); professional experience; the judgments expressed in reference letters; institutional suitability; and supervisory availability.

Applications must be submitted online; and they cannot be considered until all of the required documentation is completed.

Monitoring Progression

In order to confirm your progression, a recommendation must be made to the Faculty Research Degrees Committee. The student is required to produce detailed documentation with a timetable of further work to completion and attend a progress meeting.  This is sometimes called a progression or transfer panel and is a compulsory university requirement.

Students will be required to go through this process between the 12 and 13 month mark of their registration. The documents required for the meeting are as follows:

  • a three-page overview report on your study, that reflects on your progress to date and raises anything that you would particularly like feedback on;
  • a substantive chapter of your thesis;
  • a research proposal;
  • a thesis planner.

These documents must be submitted 14 days in advance of the meeting.

A further monitoring meeting can be held at any time following the Progression meeting, if the supervisor thinks it is necessary. This would again take the form of a panel of academics reviewing written work, but the number of academics and the type of written work that will be reviewed is up to the supervisor to decide. Often a third monitoring meeting is held towards the end of the programme of study, and takes the form of a review of the first draft of the thesis or a mock viva.

For further information about Progression, please see the Hub website

How much does it cost?

For up-to-date information about the University of Bradford's fees, please visit our website.

Is there any funding available?

Occasionally, the Faculty may offer a bursary or studentship. Details of these will be posted on our website or advertised via email.  In general, you would organise your own funding. Information about University scholarships and bursaries can be found on the Scholarships and Support pages.

How do I apply for a student visa?

All information about applying for student visas can be found on the international webpages

Contact us

If you would like to discuss any aspect of studying for a PhD, or your research proposal, please contact:

Dr Clare Beckett

Director of PGR 01274 233521
Michele Mozley/
Sandra Hall
  PGR Admissions