Wellbeing Events Calendar - 2017
You will be able to find out what is happening out in the world of Health & Wellbeing and lend your support to some worthwhile causes or make some changes to improve your own health and wellbeing.
- Dry January - 1st to 31st January. Dry January challenges you to go alcohol free for 31 days and aims to raise awareness of the effects of alcohol.
- National Obesity Awareness Week - 9th to 15th January. Obesity Awareness Week promotes how as a country we can eat healthier, be more active and improve our overal health.
- Blue Monday - 16th January. Here's what you need to know about the most depressing day of the year
- Cervical Cancer Prevention Week - 22nd to 28th January. The focus of Cervical Cancer Prevention Week (CCPW) is on all things to do with cervical cancer including information about symptoms and causes of the disease and ways to prevent it.
- Carers Support Group (for employees) - 17th January in Room F27, Richmond Building from 12:10 until 12:55. For more information please email Sustain
- National Heart Month - 1st to 28th February. National Heart Month raises awareness of the UK's biggest killer - cardiovascular disease - every February. Get involved, wear red and host an event on Friday 9 June 2017.
- Carers Support Group (for employees) - 14th February in Room F27, Richmond Building from 12:10 until 12:55. For more information please email Sustain
- Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month - 1st to 31st March. Let’s Start Making Noise this Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. #StartMakingNoise, Shout about the symptoms, Early diagnosis saves lives.
- Dechox - Challenge yourself to give up chocolate for March.
- No Smoking Day - 8th March. No Smoking Day encourages you to ‘take the leap’ and give up cigarettes and smoking.
- National Salt Awareness Week - 20th to 26th March. The theme for this year's Salt Awareness Week is 'Salt: The Forgotten Killer'.
- University Mental Health Day (for employees and students) - Thursday 2nd March, visit the stand in the Richmond Atrium between 10am and 3pm for more information.
- Carers Support Group (for employees) - 14th March in Room F27, Richmond Building from 12:10 until 12:55. For more information please email Sustain.
- 'Be Sugar Aware' Campaign (for employees and students) - 14th, 23rd & 27th March at the viewpoint stand in the Richmond Atrium.
- World Health Day - 7th April. WHO is focusing the next World Health Day on Depression.
- National Gardening Week - 10th to 16th April. During National Gardening Week we are encouraging new gardeners to get involved.
- Allergy Awareness Week - 24th April to 30th April. Allergy UK runs a series of annual awareness weeks to draw attention to the plight of the allergy sufferer.
- Carers Support Group (for employees) - 11th April in Room E61, Richmond Building from 12:10 until 12:55. For more information please email Sustain
- Sun Awareness Week - 8th to 14th May. Sun Awareness is the British Association of Dermatologists' annual campaign to raise awareness of skin cancer.
- Arthritis Care Week - 8th to 14th May. Arthritis Care is a UK based event which raises awareness about arthritis, gathers support for people with this condition, and highlights the work of Arthritis Care, a charity which supports this event.
- Mental Health Awareness Week - 8th to 14th May. The Mental Health Awareness Week theme will be 'survive to thrive'.
- National Vegetarian Week - 15th to 21st May. National Vegetarian Week is organised by the Vegetarian Society.
- National Smile Month - 15th May to 15th June. National Smile Month is the UK’s largest and longest-running oral health campaign. It promotes three key messages, all of which go a long way in helping us develop and maintain a healthy mouth.
- National Epilepsy Week - 14th to 20th May. Supported by Epilepsy Action, National Epilepsy Week aims to raise awareness about epilepsy and gather support for people with epilepsy.
- World No Tobacco Day - 31st May. The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2017 is "Tobacco – a threat to development."
- National Walking Month - 1st to 31st May. Living Streets annual month-long celebration will focus on how we make our towns and cities better for walking. As well as tips for getting more people out and about, we will be finding out what we need to do to create world-leading walking cities.
- Carers Support Group (for employees) - 16th May in Room F27, Richmond Building from 12:10 until 12:55. For more information please email Sustain
- Carers Week - 12th to 18th June. Carers Week is an annual campaign which aims to raise awareness of caring, highlight the challenges that carers face and recognise the contribution they make to families and communities throughout the UK.
- Men's Health Week - 12th to 18th June. This year we'll be focusing on belly fat. Why? Because it's the type of fat that's bad for your health and men are more likely to have it.
- Diabetes Week - 11th to 17th June. This year we’re using Diabetes Week to set the record straight about diabetes. We’ll be uncovering the truth about diabetes; what it’s like to live with it every day, and the things you wish everyone knew about living with the condition.
- Carers Support Group (for employees) - 13th June in Room E61, Richmond Building from 12:10 until 12:55. For more information please email Sustain
- Love Parks Week - 14th July to 23 July. Love Parks Week is a platform for thousands of park lovers to join forces in the UK’s largest celebration of green spaces.
- World Hepatitis Day - 28th July. Millions of people across the world now take part to raise awareness about viral hepatitis, and to call for access to treatment, better prevention programs and government action.
- Carers Support Group (for employees) - 11th July in Room F27, Richmond Building from 12:10 until 12:55. For more information please email Sustain
- National Allotments Week - 14th to 20th August. Allotments have many benefits. They bring people together and unite them through their shared love of low-cost, healthy fresh fruit and vegetables, physical exercise and social interaction.
- Carers Support Group (for employees) - 15th August in Room F27, Richmond Building from 12:10 until 12:55. For more information please email Sustain
- Sexual Health Week - 11th to 17th September. Sexual Health Week informs the public, influences service providers and supports health professionals.
- Know Your Numbers Week - 18th to 24th September. Don't miss your chance to take part in the UK's biggest blood pressure testing and awareness week.
- World Osteoporosis Day - 20th October. World Osteoporosis Day is raising global awareness of the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease.
- National Stress Awareness Day - 1st November. The theme for 2017 is 'Speak Up and Speak Out About Stress
- World Diabetes Day - 14th November. World Diabetes Day has grown from humble beginnings to become a globally-celebrated event to increase awareness about diabetes.
- World Aids Day - 1st December. Every year World Aids Day events take place across the country to raise awareness and show support for people living with HIV. Why not pop along to a local event, or better still, why not host your own?