Care Leavers Forum
Membership of the Care Leavers Forum is open to every Care Leaver student at the University and is supported by pro-active staff and students who have had experience of being in care.
Please come along to our friendly meetings which aim to give Care Leavers the opportunity to have access to confidential space to discuss issues and ideas important to them as well as providing a listening ear when things get a little tough.
Dates of the next Forum meetings are:
- Wednesday 4th March 2015 — 12.30pm until 2.00pm in Room TBC
In the past Forum meetings have included:
- Putting forward suggestion on how the University can best support care leavers
- Offering help and support to new Care Leavers coming to study at the university through befriending, advice, encouragement and Mentoring.
- Taking part in social activities
- You are very welcome to bring your own lunch along to these meetings
“I'm a lecturer here in social sciences. I was in care for 14 years in various children’s homes. I know what a big difference getting to university can make to someone who has been in care. I think it is important care leavers are helped to have a good university experience and are given the support that they need. I think it's also important to encourage more young people who are in care or leaving care to think about going to university.”