Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

What is a CAS?

A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is an electronic document issued by the University of Bradford, that contains information about your course of study as well as your personal details. This information, along with a unique CAS number and the University's sponsor licence details, is sent to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). This allows international students to apply for their Tier 4 (General) student visa. 

This is a points based system visa and you will need to score 40 points as follows:

  • 30 points for your CAS Number; and
  • 10 points for your maintenance, which is the required money you need to show in your visa application.

Before you can apply for your Tier 4 (General) student visa, you will need a CAS to support your visa application.

The International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team will consider your CAS request once you have formally applied for admission on your course of study and you have fulfilled all academic and financial conditions related to the University's admission process.

If successful, your CAS will be emailed to you.

Please note a CAS can only be used once. This means if your visa is refused, you will need a new CAS to make a new Tier 4 (General) student visa application.


How do I get my CAS?

When you accept your offer from the University of Bradford, you will receive an email from the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team with a Tier 4 student CAS request form attached. Please ensure that you complete the CAS request form and return it to the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team.

This will allow the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team to start the necessary checks that we are required to do before we can issue you with a CAS.

Once you have met the academic conditions outlined in your offer letter and paid the £2,000 advance payment or provided the University with a valid sponsor letter we will be able to move onto the next stage of the CAS process.

What the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team consider before assigning a CAS (Pre CAS checks)

  • Complying with the Law
  • English Language requirements
  • Students studying at degree level and above
  • Students studying below degree level
  • Exceptions to the English language requirements
  • Academic progression
  • Place of study
  • How long the student can stay in the UK (time limits)

To ensure that we are complying with the UKVI immigration laws, we must only assign a CAS to a student we reasonably believe will:

  1. Meet the requirements of the Tier 4 category under which we assign the CAS; and
  2. Comply with the conditions of their permission to stay in the UK.

Source: Sponsor Guidance: Tier 4 of the Points Based System: Guidance for Sponsors Document 2: Sponsorship Duties Version 01/2018 Paragraph 5.5

Please note that we are unable to issue a CAS if a student’s visa has already expired or if they do not meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules.  We also reserve the right to refuse or withdraw a CAS to meet our Tier 4 responsibilities.

We will ensure that you are in a position to make a successful Tier 4 visa application before we issue your CAS. Our pre-CAS checks may include the following:

1. Checking your financial evidence:

  • Asking you about the financial documents that you intend to submit in support of your visa application;
  • Checking that your personal bank statements have the required funds for 28 consecutive days and include all the required information;
  • If you are using your parents'/guardians' bank statements, you will be required to submit additional documents;
  • Checking that your Official Sponsor letter is in the correct format and includes all the required information;
  • If you are bringing family members with you as your dependants we will check that you have sufficient funds to cover their living expenses also.

2. Conducting Practice interviews in preparation for your visa application.

3. Checking your previous immigration and academic history.

The following factors may affect the decision to issue a CAS:

  • Previous study in the UK;
  • Current visa status if in the UK you are able to switch into Tier 4;
  • Previous breaches of your visa conditions - such as overstaying;
  • Previous visa refusal (s);
  • Previous curtailment (s); and
  • Failure to disclose material information about your immigration and academic history.

4. Requesting a copy of your Tuberculosis certificate; if required.

Please be aware that these checks may cause a delay at busy times, so we appreciate your patience.  In order to minimise the delays we would ask you to provide the requested information to the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team as soon as possible.  Once you have done this and the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team have checked that you will meet the Tier 4 requirements; we can issue a CAS within 3-5 working days.

Supporting Documentation

Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) will state the academic qualification that the University of Bradford used to make you an offer for study. You must send all original certificates for the qualifications listed on your CAS statement with your visa application. You must also bring the original certificates with you for enrolment at the University of Bradford.

If any of your documents are not in English, you must:

  • Submit the original documents; and 
  • Supply a fully certified translation of the documents by a professional translator.

Failure to provide original documents could result in your Tier 4 (General) student visa application being refused.

English Language Qualification

During the admission process all international students must fulfill the English language requirements of the University of Bradford.

You may be exempted from the Tier 4 (General) student visa English language requirement if you are a national of, or if you have previously completed a degree in one of the majority English language speaking countries defined by the Home Office. The knowledge of English eligibility criteria and list of exempt countries can be found on UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website.

If you are coming to study below degree level, on a pre-sessional English Language programme or a Foundation course, you will need to pass a Secure English Language Test (SELT) before you make your Tier 4 (General) student visa application.  You will need to take your test with an approved provider

Please note, usually students studying below degree level will be required to submit their SELT certificate with their Tier 4 (General) student visa application.