Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Biometric Residence Permit

A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is issued by the Home Office and is evidence of the holder's right to study in the UK. The BRP is a standard credit card size and shows your photograph, full name, date of birth and information about how long your permission of leave is valid from. The card will also show any conditions you may have including whether you are allowed to work and if you are required to register with the police. The card also includes a microchip, which contains your fingerprints, digital photograph and signature.

Keeping your Biometric Residence Permit Safe

You should keep your Passport and Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) safe while in the UK and when travelling outside the UK.  We advise that you keep the documents in a safe place at home and not in your wallet or handbag where they can be easily lost.  If you are travelling you can leave your documents in your hotel room, but only in a locked safe.  Always carry a minimum of valuables when travelling and plan places to conceal them especially your passport and BRP.

Reporting BRP Errors

You must report any problems with your Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) card within 10 days of receiving your card or you may have to apply and pay for a replacement.

The following problems with your BRP can be reported online:

  • There is a mistake on it, e.g. your name, gender, date of birth, place of birth, etc;
  • Your BRP has been damaged;
  • There is a fault with your BRP, e.g. it will not scan properly when entering or leaving the UK.

You will need to report the problem to the Home Office at

The Home Office will contact you within five working days to tell you what to do next.

For further information or help in completing the form, please contact the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team at or telephone +44 (0) 1274 236900.

If the mistake on your BRP is an incorrect condition or length of stay, you will need to apply for an Administrative Review. This needs to be submitted within 14 days of receiving your BRP.

You can complete the Administrative Review form online.

A fee of £80 will need to be paid (by bank card), which will be refunded if the application is successful or rejected as invalid (this can take up to 3 weeks to refund). Administrative Review decisions can take up 28 days.

Lost or Stolen BRP

If you have lost your Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) card you will need to do the following:

  1. Report the loss to the Home Office online at;
  2. Report the loss to the Police and obtain a crime reference number, you can call 101 (non-emergency number) and report the loss or visit a local Police station;
  3. You must then apply for a replacement BRP (within 3 months of the loss/theft) by completing form BRP (RC) at A replacement BRP will cost £56.

If you lose your BRP outside the UK, you will need to apply for a replacement visa overseas to travel back to the UK in the first instance and then apply for your BRP replacement within one month of your return to the UK.

For further information or if you need help completing the form, please contact the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team at or telephone +44 (0) 1274 236900.