Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Do I need a Visa to come to the UK and study?

If you are an EEA or Swiss national then you do not need permission to enter the UK or to study here.

If you already have immigration permission to come to (or remain in) the UK in a non-study related category this might allow you to study. However, some immigration categories prohibit study.

If you have already been accepted onto a course of study at the University of Bradford, there are two types of visa for studying in the UK; Short-term student visa and Tier 4 student visa.
If you are coming to the UK to study part-time, or for a maximum of six months (or 11 months if you will be studying English language), you may be able to enter as a 'short-term student'.

However, if you choose to come as a short-term student you will be much more restricted than if you come as a Tier 4 student.

• You will not be allowed to do any work or work placement (even if it is part of a course or unpaid work);
• You will not be allowed to bring family members as your dependants with you; and
• You will also not be allowed to apply to extend your stay in the UK.

See our information section about short-term student visas for further details.

If the short-term student route is not appropriate for you then you must obtain entry clearance as a Tier 4 student before travelling to the UK, regardless of your nationality.

You can check if you require a visa through the check uk visa website  

For further information please contact the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team at or Telephone +44 (0) 1274 236900.

 If you need a visa to be in the UK, you must comply with UK Immigration Law and the immigration conditions attached to your visa.