Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Financial Requirements

You will need to show you have enough money to pay for the course tuition fees and living costs while in the UK - this is referred to as 'Maintenance or Funds' by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Course fees

You will need to show you have enough money to pay for the first year of your course or the entire course, if it is less than 12 months long.

If you pay your tuition fees in full before you apply for your visa, you will only need to show you have the maintenance amount, however you will need to provide evidence in your visa application that this has been paid and / or you can inform the International Student Support & UKVI Compliance team and we can update your CAS letter.


You must show that you have a minimum £9,135, which is based on £1,015 per month over a period of 9 months. If your course is less than 9 months, you will need to ensure you show the total amount based on £1,015 per month for the total period of your course.

Financial Evidence

If you are self-financed, you will need an original bank statement to cover a 28 consecutive day period, ending no more than 31 days before the date of your visa application.

Bank statements

On your original printed bank statement, it must include the following:

  • Your name;
  • The account number;
  • The date of the statement;
  • The bank’s logo;
  • The amount of money available.

Parents' bank statements

You can use your parents' bank statement as evidence and it must include all the information outlined above. If you are relying on their finances, you will also need to submit:

  • Your original birth certificate or certificate of adoption or court document naming your legal guardian; and
  • A letter from your parent/guardian confirming their relationship to you and giving their permission for you to use their money.

You are not permitted to use other family members bank statements such as an Aunt or Uncle

Financial Sponsor

If you are financially sponsored, e.g. by your government or have an official scholarship, you will need to provide a letter from your sponsor on official letter-headed paper with their official stamp. The letter must show:

  • Your name;
  • The name and contact details of your official sponsor;
  • The date of the letter;
  • The length of your sponsorship;
  • The amount of money the sponsor is giving you or a statement that your official sponsor will cover all of your course tuition fees and living costs.

List of Unacceptable Financial Institutions

Not all financial institutions are accepted by the UK Visas and Immigration, the website has provided a list of financial institutions that do not satisfactorily verify financial statements, or whose financial statements are not accepted.

Details of which institutions are not accepted can be found at the Immigration Rules Appendix P: Lists of financial institutions.